Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
OP
B

biggles

Reaction score
biggles, did you got any further with yours since july?

//have the same problem and tried everything as well..new drivers from samsung, developer options, tethering...//

No, the S3 still cannot connect to PC with usb. Downloading the usb driver directly from the Samsung website does not work.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I'm curious where do you put music once you are connected. All i did to connect was plug in the phone. It downloaded the drivers automatically and said device is now working. My phone shows up and is connected. I see phone and card. open card and see DCIM and Lost.DIR. But I don't know where to put the music. Does it need to be in a specific folder, or just drop everything on the SD card. each album in its own folder? Thanks.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm curious where do you put music once you are connected. All i did to connect was plug in the phone. It downloaded the drivers automatically and said device is now working. My phone shows up and is connected. I see phone and card. open card and see DCIM and Lost.DIR. But I don't know where to put the music. Does it need to be in a specific folder, or just drop everything on the SD card. each album in its own folder? Thanks.

You can just drop everything on the card, but your best option is to create a folder called "Music" on the card. Then you can drop everything in there.

OP
B

biggles

Reaction score

desertknit

Reaction score
Have you checked some of the other forums--Rootzwiki, XDA Developers, etc? Someone may have figured a work-around.
Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

sgtfury

Reaction score
Hi, hope this helps.
I just bought a galaxy s3, and had the same issues. several hours on support with both the geek squad, and Samsung. that proved my opinion that an outsourced overseas help desk, who barely speak English, and cannot read the support script are not that helpful.

I downloaded the drivers, and installed KIES, but could not connect to my windows 8 HP laptop.

I was able to connect when I moved the USB cable to a USB 3 port. I verified this was the resolution on multiple other pc's, and by using the ports on my docking station. for windows 8, you do have to download the drivers from Samsung. for windows 7, the OS is able to recognize the phone without a manual download (windows update).

hope this helps!

Barryman9000

Reaction score
Don't use the USB cable that came with the phone. I got an old USB cable (the one that came with my HTC EVO that I bought 2 years ago), connected the phone to my laptop and that worked.

For some reason, the cable that came with my GS3 only works for charging, not SD access via a computer.

General Tso

Reaction score
I just gave up and bought a WiFi transfer app. Anyone know what the actual problem is?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kyuuyu

Reaction score
What worked for me was just disconnecting the USB then going to 'Developer options', check USB debugging.. restart the phone and plug the USB back in. Both my folders showed up after that. I can now drag and drop things into my phone with no problems. I hope that helps!

igbw

Reaction score
Here's what worked for me after literally trying everything under the sun (compiled steps from various sources):

Steps to Safely Cleanup and Remove old USB Mass Storage Drivers on your PC
Shut down your computer. Unplug your USB storage devices: USB Disks, flash, cams, CD/DVD, etc.
==> Other USB devices like keyboards, mice and LAN adapters can stay plugged in
Boot computer back up. Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows
Download drivecleanup.zip, unzip and save to your desktop. Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe toC:\Windows\System32
Open a command prompt window as follows:
==> For XP only: You must have Admin privileges. Click Start->Run, enter cmd
==> For Vista and Windows 7: You must open an elevated command prompt window!
After the command prompt enter: drivecleanup.exe
==> Your command prompt window should be similar to my example below.
==> If, instead, you get an error message like Command not recognized it means you didn't move Drivecleanup.exe to the right directory
Reboot.
Download the latest USB drivers here:Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I747 | Samsung Cell Phones Click the tab at the bottom that says "Manuals & Downloads" then Software then the link for the Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.v1.5.14.0)
Intstall Drivers
Reboot
Unplugged or disable your internet connection ***CRITICAL***
On your S3 go to Settings>About device>Check for updates and install the update (eventhough we next do a hard reset the new firmware is worth it if only for the brightness feature added to the notification drop down).
Do a hard reset on your Galaxy S3 instructions for that here: Samsung Galaxy S3 hard reset - PDA Smartphone PNA hard reset soft reset
Turn on S3 (without USB plugged in) and don't login to your Android account ***CRITICAL***
Plug in USB and it should install all the drivers at long last ***SIGH***
Login to your Android account with the USB plugged in and you should be good to go!
I hope this works for you because I went through probably 8hrs of B S trying to figure this out. Believe when I say I tried EVERYTHING and this is only fixed it! Oh one other nice thing is this fixes the annoying COPY/PASTE issue as well. I know it's pain in the neck but it's worth it.

I'm on a Window 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 32-bit machine.

igbw

Reaction score
I forgot one thing uninstall KIES and the Samsung Drivers first!