BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

ewangw

Reaction score
This is on the What devices are Unlockable Page

What devices are supported by the Bootloader Unlock program?

Supported Devices

The following devices are part of our initial roll out of the bootloader unlock program; additional devices will be added progressively.

Other Supported Devices

Previous devices released with an unlockable bootloader, and supported through Motodev at the following URL:https://developer.motorola.com/products/bootloader/
Motorola RAZR developer edition Europe
Motorola XOOM Verizon
Motorola XOOM Wifi Worldwide

Based on what I saw on the FAQs, it looks like anything prior to August 2012 will not be on the list. Here is a fragment from one of the questions.

THE STRING "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" DOES NOT RETURN ANY DEVICE ID. WHY?
The bootloader on Motorola devices released before August 2012 is not unlockable. This fastboot command will not return a device ID or unlock data for these Motorola devices. At this point, only the devices on our Supported Devices list are eligible for the unlockable bootloader program.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Based on what I saw on the FAQs, it looks like anything prior to August 2012 will not be on the list. Here is a fragment from one of the questions.

THE STRING "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" DOES NOT RETURN ANY DEVICE ID. WHY?
The bootloader on Motorola devices released before August 2012 is not unlockable. This fastboot command will not return a device ID or unlock data for these Motorola devices. At this point, only the devices on our Supported Devices list are eligible for the unlockable bootloader program.

Sorry SOBs.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I realize that this may vary from device to device but if it is unlocked can it be relocked? Restored to factory resets.
CAN I RE-LOCK MY DEVICE AFTER I HAVE UNLOCKED THE BOOTLOADER?

Yes, by re-loading an original Motorola software image and re-locking the bootloader. After relocking your device, you will only be able to reflash your device with a signed system image. If such an image is not available online, you will have to send it to MOTOROLA support for reflashing. MOTOROLA reserves the right to charge for such assistance. Regardless of whether your device is re-locked, such device is still not covered by the MOTOROLA warranty.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
and something interesting in the faq, apparently motorola does somewhat pay attention to the developer community

HOW DO I GET SUPPORT AFTER HAVING UNLOCKED AND REFLASHED MY OWN SYSTEM IMAGE?

Motorola is unable to provide you with assistance. Please consult online forums, such as the XDA developer community.

neilrl79

Reaction score
All motorola would have to do is send you a signed .zip with a new bootloader then you could have an unlockable bootloader right?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OP updated to reflect new information.....

ntrddragn

Reaction score
It might cause death ! LOL. Wait didn't they or vzw stated only the minority of people want to unlock their phone? If that's the case how can the site be hammered? ;)

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I remember Hashcodes found the qe process in ICS that reports to Motorola a device's software configuration, maybe they can use that to track who is unlocked. Also on ICS for the D4 they have a Remote Diagnostics program by Verizon, maybe that could aslo be used to scan your system too.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bootloader.png

Motorola is going to unlock the bootloader via a tool? Yes they are folks. Head on over to Motorola's site to get the low down on how to unlock your devices bootloader, but please do yourself the favor of reading over the warnings, one of them in particular may just make you want to hold off. See below for all the important warnings before unlocking your device:

WARNING: Motorola strongly recommends against unlocking the bootloader and/or modifying or altering a device's software or operating system. Doing so can have unintended, unforeseen, and dangerous consequences, such as rendering the device unusable, violating applicable laws, or causing property damage and/or bodily injury, including death.

By proceeding, you understand and agree that:

• Your warranty will be null and void.
  • You will operate your device in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
  • Neither Motorola, nor your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the phone, will be responsible if your device ceases to function, or causes any damage to person or property, and you agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Motorola, and your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the phone, from any and all damage caused by your device.
  • Your wireless carrier may prohibit unlocked devices from operating on their network.
  • You will be bound by the terms of the Legal Agreement
Supported Devices as of 8/17/2012
Photon Q 4G LTE Sprint
Motorola RAZR developer edition Europe
Motorola XOOM Verizon
MOTOROLA XOOM WiFi Worldwide
Who's jumping in?

Unlock your bootloader

Tip of the hat to Wicked and dgstorm

UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."

It certainly doesn't look like Verizon will be supporting the unlocking tool, and it remains to be seen if handsets on Big Reds network will make the supported device list.

Thanks ck. Looks like motorola is off the hook for now. Time to focus on vzw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Interesting the vzw motorola xoom is allowed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
So can it be confirmed that the Bionic can not be unlocked under any circumstances?

BigZig

Reaction score
It makes no sense that devices prior to 8/2012 are not supported because the XOOM was released way before then.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Guys this is the first day. Give it time. When htc announced their tool it was for sprint devices at first. Eventually vzw devices started popping up on the site. So lets breathe and allow the process to play out. If it dont get unlocked then you can A) complain to vzw B) don't buy vzw moto devices until they are unlockable c) both

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It makes no sense that devices prior to 8/2012 are not supported because the XOOM was released way before then.

The Xoom was released with an unlockable bootloader though. Fastboot oem unlock takes care of it just fine.