BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

sb1831

Reaction score
bootloader.png

UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."

Well I guess we will be seeing rather soon seeing as the S3 just got cracked. If anyone's service gets terminated because of it we will know Big Red is serious

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Bummer that the Droid 4 isn't supported. :disappointed:

Didn't Verizon allow the Droid 1 on their network? That phone's BL was never locked. I may just have to switch to the Photo Q 4G LTE, that phone has a lot of the features I was hoping the D4 would have like NFC.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
This looks a lot like htc dev. Its a start but lets see if the developers are able to find a better solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Indeed. I'm hopeful this will be enough for devs to come up with some easy-to-use tools for all Moto devices.

skennelly

Reaction score
I remember Hashcodes found the qe process in ICS that reports to Motorola a device's software configuration, maybe they can use that to track who is unlocked. Also on ICS for the D4 they have a Remote Diagnostics program by Verizon, maybe that could aslo be used to scan your system too.

It will be easy to track who has unlocked. They need your email, and device ID in order to send you the unlock code. I would think the device ID would be enough.

IMO, this is a good marketing tool for Motorola to sell a ton of RAZR HDs. I know this will be a huge seller for them, but they would have lost a fair amount of users due to Moto's notoriously locked bootloader. I am sure they remember the whole Droid X fiasco and more than likely realized they lost some loyal customers to Samsung and the S3 because of it.

On the other hand...Could they be setting the stage for the next Nexus? I mean, it is Google owned after all.

GotnFX

Reaction score
cereal killer said:
UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."

It certainly doesn't look like Verizon will be supporting the unlocking tool, and it remains to be seen if handsets on Big Reds network will make the supported device list.

I wondering if VZW isnt allowing this because they know hackers are good these days at just about anything. I wasnt sure if it ever worked but I remembered one ROM on my OG Droid had a setting to unblock data throttling..I am sure VZW wasnt pleased about that..they want to control it all and by doing this they believe they do..how ironic is it they say it would negatively impact your connection and experience on the network when i get data and phone call drops (rare as of late) from time to time..

skennelly

Reaction score
how ironic is it they say it would negatively impact your connection and experience on the network when i get data and phone call drops (rare as of late) from time to time..

You get those data and call drops because of all the unlocked bootloaders. Lol!:biggrin:

Talon66721

Reaction score
I still have a hard time understanding why Verizon talks about unlocked phones messing with the network. Anyone else notice that it is primarily aimed at Moto only? How can they say that while selling other phones that are unlockable, you know, like my GNex that I bought from them? This has always seemed a bit wacky to me. Any ideas or what is it that I'm missing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I still have a hard time understanding why Verizon talks about unlocked phones messing with the network. Anyone else notice that it is primarily aimed at Moto only? How can they say that while selling other phones that are unlockable, you know, like my GNex that I bought from them? This has always seemed a bit wacky to me. Any ideas or what is it that I'm missing?

This^ Just makes no sense!

welsalex

Reaction score
Well this whole thing is a start. We are starting to show signs of winning the bootloader war. Still a long long LONG way to go. Nice to see SOMETHING rather than nothing.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

This^ Just makes no sense!

Its crazy. Verizon didnt report no issues with the Droid 1 and every other phone that had an easily unlockable bootloader on their network. They have a Nexus phone and a Xoom tablet. Customer satisfaction wouldn't be high with Verizon if these devices with unlocked bootloaders hurt the network so bad.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is code for "tethering ". Vzw wants people to a) go to family share plan. B) if u remain on unlimited not tether with out paying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

npro1464

Reaction score
Guys this is the first day. Give it time. When htc announced their tool it was for sprint devices at first. Eventually vzw devices started popping up on the site. So lets breathe and allow the process to play out. If it dont get unlocked then you can A) complain to vzw B) don't buy vzw moto devices until they are unlockable c) both

or e). Cancel your service with Verizon, by an already unlocked and perfectly good Galaxy Nexus straight through Google, and never have to put up with this bs again. I can't believe the brass on Verizon for threatening to turn off service on your phone if they find out the bootloader has been unlocked. Where do they get off?

I called customer service a week ago to inquire about my cancelation fee and when asked why I told them I hated my Thunderbolt. They offered to let me keep my unlimited data if I used my brothers flip phone upgrade on a GS3, and I was actually considering it after hearing the good news on the bootloader, but hearing this I'm glad I'm waiting. Screw you, Verizon, seriously. This doesn't even affect me, if just makes me mad they would say something like that. So HTC phone owners are allowed to unlock their bootloaders but if you catch any Moto users doing it you'll cut service from their phones? Complete bs.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
cereal killer said:

Does that mean free termination fee?