Blank Screen when using phone

Keys29201

Reaction score
I just got a replacement Droid, as the first went crazy in the heat and humidity. When I dial on this new one, and put the phone to my ear, the screen goes dark. However, when I lower the phone to enter more numbers, etc it stays dark!! I tried using the on/off switch but it does nothing. If I slide out the keyboad, the screen lights up for a second, but not long enough to use the keypad. I have the timeout set for a minute.
Ideas?

bcpbob

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Techs at the store didn't know what to do either. It drives me nuts. I hate the phone because of this. I hope someone can help Please

MavFanNE

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem...love the phone except for this.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
There is a free app in the market called "sensor test" that will give you a readout of the proximity sensor. Mine shows a 6 when nothing is in front and a 0 when I move my finger. The sensor is located in the upper left hand corner of your screen.

drk1

Reaction score
Check-Out the Market Apps;
Sensor Test Free
by AtmoWorker

I used it to find out why my screen stayed blanked.

IIRC there were two values that matter for the proximity sensor
3 & 2. something
Mine was 3 all the time.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since there are so many Android phones you need to look to see what people are running. Most of you had Droids except for one guy with an HTC. I thought those worked differently then Moto Droids as far as the proximity sensor goes.

LT*

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my first Droid. Dead Proximity Sensor. I installed the sensor test app and showed it to the "tech" at Verizon. No issues swapping it after that.

bcpbob

Reaction score
screen black out

I contacted Verizon about this they told me its past my worry free period by 3 days so pretty much too bad, I cant return it and they dont see a problem in manufacturing so they said nothing they can do. Thanks a lot for nothing. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I am stuck with this piece of junk for 2 years. I dont even use it due to my absolute disgust ,. texting and talking but thats about all .

validoption

Reaction score
I contacted Verizon about this they told me its past my worry free period by 3 days so pretty much too bad, I cant return it and they dont see a problem in manufacturing so they said nothing they can do. Thanks a lot for nothing. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I am stuck with this piece of junk for 2 years. I dont even use it due to my absolute disgust ,. texting and talking but thats about all .

Call *611 and ask to speak with a smartphone tech. My 1st droid was collecting dust underneath the glass, and it was ten days past my 30, and they offered to replace it at no cost. They shipped, i swapped, no problems. I've had bad luck with stores, but nothing but love from 611. Worth a shot, anyway. Sometimes it's also luck in terms of who you talk to. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid

OP
K

Keys29201

Reaction score
Blank screen

How long have u had the phone? I contacted motorola directly and they said they warrant it for a year, and I can send mine back directly to them, but you do not get a loaner, etc. So I am going back to verizon...seems to be the proximity sensor.

mkgrl

Reaction score
possible fix

I've had this problem regularly for about two months. it's been driving me nuts. If i waited several minutes, it would then work again. when using an earbud (bluetooth) it worked fine. I use the screen protectors to stave off scratches, and mine was getting pretty dirty, and making poor contact. i replaced it yesterday, and now the phone works flawlessly. must have had something to do with all the dirt between the protector and screen.

OP
K

Keys29201

Reaction score
Mine started when I got the new phone. The screen stayed blank so I could not imput the necessary info to activate it! Took about 10 tries. I now mostly have to take out the battery to end a call....