Phone screen problem in portrait mode

criordan

Reaction score
In the last few days my phone screen goes blank when I dial or receive a call. I can get the screen to function by opening the keyboard to switch to portrait mode. The screen does not function in portrait mode when I take it away from my ear. Could this be a problem with the latest update?

FLE

Reaction score
Have you check to see in the droid setting to see if it will auto rotate the screen due to the box being checked. Its calld the screen Orientation. I only say this due to are you sure someone has not accidently fooled around with the setting on your phone? You may say right out "no" no one touches my phone but me. People ar currious and do mess with things that they sould not mess with. Also have you downloaded things that are NOT in the market for your phone. Have you did anything to the ROOT of the phone?

ElaineAbigayle

Reaction score
Hello,

i have the problem that, if i start a phone call, sometime my screen gets blank (black) like if i put it on my ear (so i cant use the speaker a.s.o.).

I thought the update would help but today i get the same bug... But i mentioned, that, if i put my device in horizontal position while it is black, the screen re-apears, but if i take it and hold it in my hands (in portrait mode) the screen gets black again...
My rotation settings of the phone app is only portrait mode with activating if i hold it in portrait mode in my hands

Maybe its a rotation problem of the accelerator sensors...

Anyone has the same problem or am i the only one?
wink.gif

FLE

Reaction score
I shoud read more carefully I am sorry if my last response was useless. I understand that the screen will NOT operate again if you put it to your head and then remove it? It will only operate if you go into landscape mode? I would call the verizon help. You need to do this from another line due to you are going to be messing around with diffrent settings on the phone. Have you tried a factory reset? This may fix the problem. if not I would be going to the verizon in the AM and letting the tech at the store look at it. I got the insurance plus the extended warranty so it would cost me nothing to get it looked at. The phone has a 1 year warranty from motorola so I am pretty sure it will not cost you anything for the tech at the store to look at it. But what is going on with your phone, this should not happen. Have you droped your phone onto a hard surface? I did my first one boom right on concrete. The phone dumped it memory and would not reboot. The error message said somethig to the effect waiting for program. At the verizon store they did not even ask what happend they just gave me a new phone with a clean esn. I hope this helps some.

Kitulu

Reaction score
Hello,

i have the problem that, if i start a phone call, sometime my screen gets blank (black) like if i put it on my ear (so i cant use the speaker a.s.o.).

I thought the update would help but today i get the same bug... But i mentioned, that, if i put my device in horizontal position while it is black, the screen re-apears, but if i take it and hold it in my hands (in portrait mode) the screen gets black again...
My rotation settings of the phone app is only portrait mode with activating if i hold it in portrait mode in my hands

Maybe its a rotation problem of the accelerator sensors...

Anyone has the same problem or am i the only one?
wink.gif

That is not a bug, it is a feature that is designed to keep your head from activating anything on the touchscreen during a call. When mine does this, and I need to use the keypad (for example), I will pull the phone away from my ear and wiggle it a bit, which will usually activate the screen. If it does not work, then I will simply press the power button for a moment, or hit the volume up button.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Are you possibly covering the proximity sensor with a finger?

The phone is designed to turn off the screen when you hold it to your head to save battery life and prevent your ear from activating anything on screen. It has a proximity sensor in the top right corner of the screen (you can see a small circle behind the glass). If you cover that sensor or get any part of your hand close to that part of the screen (don't have to actually touch it, can be an inch or so away) while on a call it will turn the screen off.

If you're using a case, make sure it doesn't obstruct that sensor.

Otherwise, take it in to a vzw store...