Droid Landscape mode...troubles anyone?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There were tons of people reporting that their phones were going into landscape mode without opening the keyboard. Mine never did it (and I have gone through a few Droids since the day it was released). Here is the support thread on this topic over at the Motorola Owner's Forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16334?start=0&tstart=0

Here is a picture from that thread of someone's phone in landscape mode with the keyboard closed:

ws42h5.png

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have seen that photo before. I could photo shop something of that quality in about 30 seconds. I can also crack open my keyboard a bit and take a bad photo at that angle and get the same result. I want to see a video.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen that photo before. I could photo shop something of that quality in about 30 seconds. I can also crack open my keyboard a bit and take a bad photo at that angle and get the same result. I want to see a video.

Why would 30 some odd pages of people report the same problem? My phone never did it, but I have no reason to think that hundreds of people are making this up. Unless you work for Motorola, I don't think you can say this never happened on other people's phones.

M

Matth3w

Wait, so the phone isn't supposed to go into landscape mode if the keyboard is closed? Mine does that.

M

Matth3w

I can take a video of it going into landscape with the keyboard closed if someone wants to see it...

dylanthecat

Reaction score
That would be great. I would like to see it. The stock home screen going into landscape with the keyboard closed.

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, so the phone isn't supposed to go into landscape mode if the keyboard is closed? Mine does that.

According to Motorola, it's not supposed to. However, there are just too many people reporting this same thing for it not to be happening.

I can take a video of it going into landscape with the keyboard closed if someone wants to see it...

That would be great! Although even with a video, someone will come along and say that you are manipulating it somehow. I've had FOUR Droids and none of them ever did this, but that doesn't mean I don't believe other people's phones don't do it.

M

Matth3w

Hold on I'm trying to find my wife's cable for her Sony digicam. I can't find my damn video camera and my battery to my digicam is dead. Just a sec.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
matthew you're running a home replacement app and a rom?

M

Matth3w

I've got Beautiful Beast installed with whatever home it uses, but mine has always done this. So you guys don't need the video then? BB rom makes it go to landscape?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've got Beautiful Beast installed with whatever home it uses, but mine has always done this. So you guys don't need the video then? BB rom makes it go to landscape?
correct the stock OS does not go into landscape. As JhanK said though some claim it did.

Personally I don't see how it could one day then all of a sudden stop UNLESS it was some type of strange bug.

But again the OS is not designed to let the homescreen go into LS unless the keyboard is deployed.

The pic that somebody posted is easy to duplicate by snapping the photo right after the keyboard is shut (there is a slight lag) I'm just skeptical of it all. I think there would be videos all over if it was happening.

My thought is that like a lot of people they didn't pay attention to it because the device was so new and they were working their way around it. After the newness wore off they noticed it.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer matth3w (that name is hard to type for some reason) but it does have to be stock home screen and not a rooted droid.

M

Matth3w

Just type Matthew then :)

Hmm, maybe I could revert to oem with the virginoem backup at some point. I thought I remembered it going via landscape.