Help!! Screen darkens during outgoing calls??

hmil3

Reaction score
I'm a new Droid-user. When I dial out using the phone vertically, the screen goes dark when it begins ringing. The only way I can then get a visible screen back is to slide open the keypad. I can't find anything related to this in the settings. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to resolve it?

mark1wat

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to make sure you don't have a thumb or something covering the top left corner.

virtualshannon

Reaction score
I was fixing to take it back when I read something about the screen protector. I removed it and I've had no problems with it as of yet. Hope this fixes it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
because it's a touch screen, it's designed to turn off the screen when the top left sensor (proximatey sensor) comes in view with an object (thumb, hand, face). uncovering that spot should bring the screen back on.

if not, press the power button.

or, use the speaker or BT and it won't dim.

OP
H

hmil3

Reaction score
Removing the screen protector does nothing for me. I'm sitting on a couch with a lamp to my left and a window to the outisde on my right. If I dial a call and face the lamp, it goes off. When I turn it toward the window, it comes back on. So it does seem to be a sensor problem. But why does it do this during calls and not during other actions??? This is supposed to be a phone primarily.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it does it because of what i said. it's a touch screen. you don't want to accidently hang up on a person while in a call.

dial your number and put the phone to your ear like a normal person or put them on speaker.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
This is supposed to be a phone primarily.
Nah.

It works this way by design - if the touchscreen was on while you are holding the phone to your face, you would be pressing number buttons and hanging up with your face. Without this feature, it wouldn't work as a phone.

Make sure there is nothing obstructing the sensor on the top right, above the screen.