Blackberry's CEO is Not Opposed to Building a Secure Android Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
john-chen-blackberry-ceo.jpg

There has been an idea that Android fans have suggested for quite some time to help Blackberry... Blackberry should make Android phones to get competitive again. If they could simply make a version of Android that is as secure as Blackberry, then it could revive the sinking company. There have even been numerous rumors for the past several years suggesting that Blackberry was planning (or considering) doing that, but none of them proved to be true.

It looks like the newest CEO of Blackberry has been at least listening to these ideas. In a recent interview with CNBC, Blackberry's CEO, John Chen, was asked about this very topic. His answer was surprising and intriguing,

"We only build secure phones and BlackBerry is the most secure phone so, if I can find a way to secure the Android phone, I will also build that."

It's definitely not an admission that they are planning such a venture, but it's the closest the company has ever come to even considering it publicly. In fact, it could simply be a back-handed way of digging at Android's security. What do you think? Do we have any Blackberry fans who would still like to see the company try their hands at an Android device?

Source: Crackberry

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. It was a back-handed way of digging at Google's OS security, BUT thats not to say they won't try to secure it down in such a way that it meets their standards.

I personally don't see RIM/Blackberry jumping into the Android space. Makes no sense.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. It was a back-handed way of digging at Google's OS security, BUT thats not to say they won't try to secure it down in such a way that it meets their standards.

I personally don't see RIM/Blackberry jumping into the Android space. Makes no sense.
Agreed.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I could see a lot of people buying a old form factor blackberry device with Android on it because they love that old form factor. I still know people that say they wish they had a BlackBerry still, it was so much easier to type on. I never used one so I can't confirm or deny that but I can see it happen.