Blackberry is 'going all in' with PRIV Android; Could be Their Last Phone

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Its over. I say in the next 5 years or so the Android landscape will be totally different with low/mid end devices dominating the markets. Samsung is already taking on water in regards to their devices division and I wouldn't be surprised to see them exit mobile (smartphones) by 2020 if not sooner.

There are too many mid range devices out there that are just as good as the top tier devices at a fraction of the cost. Sub $400 smartphones is where the market is going.

by 2020 there will be another breakthrough of some sort, the price of high end phones will still be ridiculous but what will be the norm will probably get sub 400 and still amazing.

Honestly I think there will be something like that foldable computer paper from caprica, maybe not that advanced but folding screens etc something... especially with everything their trying to do with graphite, if that pics up or theres a breakthrough say goodbye to silicon as graphite is MUCH cheaper.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't think Sammy is going anywhere. They are doing well globally on mid ranger devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Really look forward to a physical keyboard again though.
I think it'll be interesting to see how this device fares in such an already saturated market. Working in the corporate world, I don't know a single person that still uses a Blackberry. Everyone in our facility and the 4 other facilities I've personally visited over the past few years, have all moved on to Apple or Galaxy Note devices. And of those folks, the majority of them have adopted a swipe input method.
So the question is: even though BB was huge during its heyday, will there really be enough people willing to return to BB simply because it has a physical keyboard? I just don't see people returning to a clicky slide out keyboard after using a swipe input method. The other issue raised was BlackBerry security. Again, (at least in my industry), we haven't seen a huge "security" problem with today's devices. So how big of a concern is this, realistically speaking?

Again, I do Iook forward to seeing how well this device is received by both the general public, and corporate America.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its over. I say in the next 5 years or so the Android landscape will be totally different with low/mid end devices dominating the markets. Samsung is already taking on water in regards to their devices division and I wouldn't be surprised to see them exit mobile (smartphones) by 2020 if not sooner.

There are too many mid range devices out there that are just as good as the top tier devices at a fraction of the cost. Sub $400 smartphones is where the market is going.
You make a good point. We are at a point now where unless you have one phone next to the other you are content with your device. With the exception of those who game, the speed difference between a phone from this year and last year is a split second or two, something you would not notice unless you are comparing phones.

We will always have premium devices and people will continue to buy those. But as more mid end smartphones enter the market it provides options. If you are on a budget or have other passions you can get a 300 phone off contract and it will do what you need it to do without a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think the keyboard alone might be enough to move some of these. Guarantee there are people out there that miss it. Google "Droid 4 Keyboard" for instance. :D

/Edit/ Google Droid 5 Keyboard. I was thinking the 3 was the last one.
People clamoring for one. In fact, I think it's a bit funny RIM beat everyone to the punch on this. That's why I think the VZW thing is a fail. This REALLY would sell well if available on ALL carriers. I have no doubt.

Motorola: Give us a Droid 5 or physical QWERTY keyboard Android phone

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
No CDMA capable radio was just foolishness for a business-oriented device in the US market as large as Verizon's customer share is.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I don't think Sammy is going anywhere. They are doing well globally on mid ranger devices.
Their profits stemmed mostly from their display and semiconductor divisions. There were no profits to speak of for their mobile division. They're not going anywhere no, but I wouldn't be surprised if they left the Android space. It's a race to the bottom and they are losing ground in key emerging markets i.e India.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think the keyboard alone might be enough to move some of these. Guarantee there are people out there that miss it. Google "Droid 4 Keyboard" for instance. :D

People clamoring for one. In fact, I think it's a bit funny RIM beat everyone to the punch on this. That's why I think the VZW thing is a fail. This REALLY would sell well if available on ALL carriers. I have no doubt.
True, but.... There's a big difference between a horizontal keyboard (ala OG Droid), and a vertical based keyboard, ala BB. THIS is what will severely limit their overall sales I think.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Samsung Mobile has been losing money since the S5 launch. Consumers did not see the value in upgrading to the S5 or S6. Sammy forecasted the S6 selling 4 X over the S6E and that was not the case. Sales were about even and not enough S6E were available. By the time Sammy increased production it was just too late.
All of this compounded by the Chinese manufactures eating Sammy's lunch in the low to middle market led to the 7th consecutive loss in their mobile division.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
True, but Samsung will turn it around with the S7. The thing is, they aren't afraid to take huge risks.....sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. They can afford to fail big, unlike their smaller counterparts, cough *HTC* cough, but they'll always bounce back.... It's the Samsung way.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
No company can afford to fail big. Sammy has missed the mark with the S5 and 6. If they don't lower their price and give the consumer what they want, they will die a slow death...JMO

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
True, but.... There's a big difference between a horizontal keyboard (ala OG Droid), and a vertical based keyboard, ala BB. THIS is what will severely limit their overall sales I think.

S5 tap'n
have you ever used a bb keyboard? they are complete win, at least the old ones were.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score

Motorola: Give us a Droid 5 or physical QWERTY keyboard Android phone
I booted my D4 few days ago, and I just remember how I miss having a physical keyboard. Hell, if Sammy releases similar design as this new BB, I'll probably upgrade right away. The keypad on D4 was truly an amazing thing.