Blackberry is Shelving BB10 for Android in 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
blackberry-priv-angled-hero.jpg

Blackberry's CEO John Chen shared some interesting details on the company's plans for 2016. Apparently, Blackberry only intends to offer at least one new smartphone in 2016, and perhaps a second if things go well. The most interesting detail he shared was that either/both devices will only run on Android. Deductive reasoning indicates that Blackberry is shelving BB10 in favor of Android, at least temporarily.

Chen didn't share any details on the devices or their reveal/release timeframe, but he shared that the first 2 months of sales have been good for the Blackberry PRIV, which is the company's first Android phone. Despite the initial success, Chen is tempering his enthusiasm by "...taking a cautiously optimistic view."

Chen also commented on why Blackberry chose to limit the PRIV's launch to only a few exclusive carriers. Here's a quote with more of the details on that,

"That's kind of what BlackBerry did with the Priv when it opted to limit the phone's initial launch to just a few carriers, including AT&T in the US. Chen said he simply didn't have the resources to do a massive rollout with every carrier.

BlackBerry plans to sell the Priv, which currently costs $699, in 31 countries over the next few quarters. Chen said the price will likely come down over time." ~ CNET

Here at HQ, we are not ashamed to admit that we are rooting for Blackberry to make a comeback with Android. To have a company as innovative and creative as Blackberry in the Android arena could be good for the overall market competition. Let us know what you folks think of Blackberry's chances.

For further discussion on the Blackberry PRIV Android smartphone, here's our dedicated section: Blackberry PRIV | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Very nice of them to explain the ATT only thing. Would have been nice to hear in the beginning but still...

Totes agree on wanting them to succeed, as well.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice, though the Priv was not for me I still have to give BB kudos on their first android phone. I am actually surprised at the numbers. But then again there were a lot of BB users waiting for a high quality BB phone.

Something I failed to look at during my review is that BB may not be the best android device for those of us android enthusiasts, but it is the best BB device available for BB enthusiasts. And with a limited roll out I see how this was a successful device numbers wise for BB.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Nice, though the Priv was not for me I still have to give BB kudos on their first android phone. I am actually surprised at the numbers. But then again there were a lot of BB users waiting for a high quality BB phone.

Something I failed to look at during my review is that BB may not be the best android device for those of us android enthusiasts, but it is the best BB device available for BB enthusiasts. And with a limited roll out I see how this was a successful device numbers wise for BB.

Same here. Although every time I got to the AT&T store now I'm tempted again and again. The keyboard...and I don't even like physical keyboards on phones. I'm curious to see if they will put out a new device this year. A Priv 2 perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Would have mattered couple years ago, now it might be too little too late.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I showed a friend a Priv earlier. Her husband was a big BB fan. Just texted me this: "Don said he isn't upgrading his iPhone until he can get the Priv."

TapaTurboII