Best Tethering Options for Liberty ROM users?

knidsrok

Reaction score
Afternoon, my fellow DX Libertarians!

I'm currently running the 'mynet' 3G mobile hotspot app from the Liberty Toolbox. I've discovered that it doesn't get activated from the generic mobile hotspot toggle in widgets like widgetsoid.

This isn't a big deal or anything, but it got me to wondering -- price and 'legality' issues aside, what is the overall best tethering options for DX users running Liberty 1.5?

My former employer still pays for my phone, including the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, so saving money isn't an issue for me. I'm just wondering what the other methods for tethering with your droid x are, and how they stack up to Verizon's official 3G Mobile Hotspot app in terms of pure functionality.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the homegrown apps simply work better than Motorola/Verizon's. Like perhaps the native Froyo wifi hotspot app -- can you activate that on the DX? Are the market apps any better or worse?

Finally, in a related note, is there any speed advantages to wired tethering over wifi hotspot tethering?

I look forward to hearing any tips, suggestions, opinions or musings on the subject that you good folk have to offer. Thanks in advance,

El Knid

N

Nickchapa

i havent tried the verizon 3g mobile hotspot but i have used barnacle and wireless tether apps from the market and the one i kept was the wireless tether app. it works the best without disconnects and shows your usage. the barnacle one drops me every once in a while so i switched and will not go back.

brenneisec

Reaction score
I would also suggest wireless tether especially after the latest update which includes infrastructure mode for the X. you can also encrypt your connection

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I would also suggest wireless tether especially after the latest update which includes infrastructure mode for the X. you can also encrypt your connection

+1 on that. IMHO this works the best and is the easiest to use and set up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

webtyrant69

Reaction score
I am on Liberty 1.5 and tried using wireless tether. I received a message saying my kernal does not have all necessary features for this application. Is there a setting I missed, or something additional I should install?

brenneisec

Reaction score
I am on Liberty 1.5 and tried using wireless tether. I received a message saying my kernal does not have all necessary features for this application. Is there a setting I missed, or something additional I should install?

I got this message as well. Hit okay and started up my tether and it worked fine

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MaelstromOC

Reaction score
I believe the kernal doesn't have the ability to support the security features of the Wireless Tether app. If you try and turn on the security, you'll see that it will not work.

*This was in my experience, if I'm incorrect, someone please enlighten me.*

webtyrant69

Reaction score

I got this message as well. Hit okay and started up my tether and it worked fine

It worked great! Thanks.

brenneisec

Reaction score

It worked great! Thanks.

no problem. glad i could help

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I believe the kernal doesn't have the ability to support the security features of the Wireless Tether app. If you try and turn on the security, you'll see that it will not work.

*This was in my experience, if I'm incorrect, someone please enlighten me.*

Just to elaborate on this...

It supports encryption (either wpa or wpa2) but it does not support MAC filtering. Use a good password and it doesn't matter. I use this regularly and I'm not sure if any improvements I would want, other than maybe a toggle in Widgetsoid for it. Works beautifully in infrastructure mode (ad hoc mode works too but I never use that now that infrastructure works).