Gingerbread wireless tether

XDRDX

Reaction score
Once I re-ran the 3g hot spot patch the tether worked perfect!

Prior to that though it connected and worked for a few seconds and then stopped. The phone acted like it needed to purchase the plan.

Everything is good now though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nukeruss

Reaction score
What worked for me

I was having the same problems with WiFi Tether not working and then coming up with the verizon webpage everytime I tried to get it working. I flashed the TBH DX Tether patch 1.0, Uninstalled WiFi tether 2.07 from the market, and installed WiFi Tether v3 0-pre12-1 from the google code site. Everything works great since then.
Heres the location of a discussion on how it works http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12526482

Last edited:

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Read p3droid Twitter posts from last night. Should clarify as to y u got the Verizon screen.

joeshell20

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested. I figured out if you just freeze your status bar with titanium. The tether app works. I know its a crazy workaround and it leaves you thinking why would you do it. But in all honesty im getting to like it. I use adw notifier for email, and sms. I just check my app link in market to check downloading apps, and so far everything is working fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jainer123

Reaction score
Continued Issues With wifi tether + TBH hack

Hey all -

So I can confirm that there is an issue with this method that basically kills your data connection to all apps after you use it. When the blue 3g and bars go away and turn grey/black, you can still access the web via the browser and everything, but apps like gmail, words with friends, etc. are totally unable to use this. This happens for a few hours, until i get pissed and then play with the data settings in gingerbread so that i can turn off data, and then turn it back on again, and then it turned blue. I can't confirm though whether it will turn on by itself, or how long it would take.

has anyone else seen this issue? any ideas on how to resolve?

Shark0311

Reaction score
I am running rooted GB and paying for tethering. I can confirm that when I use the hot spot app that there is no internet connection. I have tried the TBH patch and it was working for a day or two now the 3G bars turn from blue to black and no internet.

Does anyone have a fix?

ShotgunExpresss

Reaction score
Download Barnacle wifi tether and use it, don't hit the 3g hotspot app. I've been using it for 3 months tethering it to my xbox360 and watching Netflix and playing BlackOps with no issue and sustaining a 3 bar connection on hamming and netflix. Im using a Droid X with the Z4 root. When you hit the 3 g hotspot app it routes thru Verizon and your screwed. Barnacle doesn't do that.

jainer123

Reaction score
Download Barnacle wifi tether and use it, don't hit the 3g hotspot app. I've been using it for 3 months tethering it to my xbox360 and watching Netflix and playing BlackOps with no issue and sustaining a 3 bar connection on hamming and netflix. Im using a Droid X with the Z4 root. When you hit the 3 g hotspot app it routes thru Verizon and your screwed. Barnacle doesn't do that.

We're talking specifically about Gingerbread, have you been running Gingerbread and Barnacle for 3 months? i tried that program as well when i was figuring this out and it did the same thing wifi tether did (whole blue to black/grey thing)

I'm convinced that hotspot app is messing with us...i just don't know how to get rid of it if no one has been able to find the app.

joeshell20

Reaction score
See above post. Disable the status bar apk. You will not get notifications, but your wireless tether for rooted phones app will work. Looks like they integrated the 3g hotspot app into the status bar.

joeshell20

Reaction score
See above post. Freeze the status bar apk using titanium. You will not get notifications, but your wireless tether for rooted phones app will work. Looks like they integrated the 3g hotspot app into the status bar.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

ShotgunExpresss

Reaction score
My bad, I didn't realize this was a gingerbread issue, im not running gingerbread. What is the advantage to running it? I've run the eclair, cyanogen, koush, droidmod, all on my original droid, but none on my X.

jbrian420

Reaction score
I got mine working

I also had many problems getting gingerbread to work right. I ended up semi-bricking my phone for a few hours before sbf ing my phone back to 2.3.340. Tried puting rooted ginger back on my phone and had to flash my phone again. The 2nd time was a charm. I then got gingerbread on my phone running really good. Everything except wireless tether.

3g patcher from tbh is what did the trick. I had to run it twice before it started to work.

Wifi tether is the app to use not wireless tether. I got ver 3.0.pre14 and it works great but not before going into the settings- Change device profile - Droid X, to match phone. after that everything works, including data on phone while using data on my laptop.

Gingerbread was alot of work to get running correctly but working great.

TBH can no longer be had through the market or Wifi Tether. Im surprised it took android so long to remove them.

codustyle

Reaction score
this isnt a thread for why someone should use gingerbread....

verizon has wised up with ginger bread and tied in the 3g hotspot app with the status bar, not making it an independent app that you can disable or freeze. since the status bar is always running in the background, it knows when your wifi tether boots up and tries to turn on the hotspot signal and automatically turns on the 3g app, rerouting you to the verizon site.

so your choices are freeze the status bar every time you want to use wifi tehter, which sucks cuz the bar normally doesnt just pop back up when you unfreeze it. or use the patch that someone posted a link to earlier at xda. instead of getting the app from xda tho you should prolly go download the tbh app from their website and pay for it... but either way tbh has warned in earlier post not to use their patch anymore