best battery life phone?

skuzzzzy

Reaction score
right now im with sprint, i just purchased a evo 3d however its only been 3 days since signing up and im fixing to return the phone and drop sprint.
battery on the evo 3d is really bad to me and im hardly using the phone..
also the phone barely viberates, like even if im holding it i can barely tell. not to mention the service sucks im lucky if i get 1-2 bars at work and home.

so im looking at switching to verizon, mostly need a phone for just accessing web sites, email and text. what would be my best bet? or maybe im expecting too much a smartphone in terms of battery life since im coming from phones that last me a week per charge..

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
or maybe im expecting too much a smartphone in terms of battery life since im coming from phones that last me a week per charge..

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you get a full day then most folks would take that. There are a thousand settings tweaks you can change to get better battery life as well. Just search for "battery tips" in here and you'll find something you didn't know. Good luck....

OP
S

skuzzzzy

Reaction score
or maybe im expecting too much a smartphone in terms of battery life since im coming from phones that last me a week per charge..

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you get a full day then most folks would take that. There are a thousand settings tweaks you can change to get better battery life as well. Just search for "battery tips" in here and you'll find something you didn't know. Good luck....

ive read that i shouldnt use a task killer, and ive been using the free juice defender.

xaelith

Reaction score
I recently picked up the Droid3 (D3 for short) and have had good luck with it so far. Coming straight out of the box, I average at least 14 hrs on a charge, which as the other poster suggested is very good for a smartphone, especially with very little changes to the stock settings. A couple pointers I've picked up that should work for any Android phone:

1) When you get the phone and use it for the first time, let the battery die all the way, then charge it fully; this is called cycling, and helps the inner workings of Li-ion batteries figure out its full capacity. Afterward, only do this about once a month to help reset the inner circuitry as partial cycles cause it to become inaccurate but also too much cycling will shorten the overall life of the battery.

2) If the phone is a global phone, check to make sure its mobile network settings are configured properly. My D3 was set to global by default, and Verizon uses CDMA in the US. At least as far as the D3 is concerned, it's been discovered that the phone will use more battery if it's on the wrong signal type as it will use more bandwidth looking for signals it can't use. The mobile network settings can be found in Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks.

3) Try to avoid using a lot of programs, especially ones that are constantly pulling data in the background. A good example is a widget that posts a snippet of the latest news within the defined widget area. Also, avoid allowing programs to update automatically, if possible. I had a problem where my original Droid would only last 6-8 hrs on a charge, and it wasn't until after I rooted my phone and began having the same problem that I understood why.

These are just a few tips I've come across and found to be the most helpful. As was suggested, doing a search on these forums will be of great use as well, particulary if you search within the section dedicated to the phone you're having issues with, or are looking to buy. Anyway, good luck with your future endeavors :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your specific usage greatly impacts battery life. Don't count on device selection as a solution. "Hardly" doesn't really mean anything. It's a highly subjective word and what you consider "hardly" used could be heavy usage to the next person. It's impossible to say without knowing the specifics. You may not be fully aware of what your apps are doing in the background. You need to specifically look at your usage and address your battery hogs not matter what device you select.

A week is unreasonable. A day to two days is about the best you'll get. Are you unable to charge while you sleep for some reason? Is your device in use while you sleep or something?

so im looking at switching to verizon, mostly need a phone for just accessing web sites, email and text. what would be my best bet?
Nothing in your requirements really helps to narrow it down. You'd need to specify additional criteria as any device will handle web, email and text. If you don't know what other criteria to use then peruse the "What device should I get?" threads for other things that you might want to consider.

not to mention the service sucks im lucky if i get 1-2 bars at work and home.
Always select your carrier first based on real world coverage where you need it. If you're not getting the coverage you need then cancel while you can without ETF.

Last edited: