Battery Life on Droid 2

sessica

Reaction score
My original Droid sadly passed the other day, and instead of getting an insurance replacement I went with upgrading to the Droid 2. Second day out of the box after being fully charged over night, my battery was dead by 3 PM (having taken it off the charger around 11 am). My original droid usually would make it until about 11 pm if I played games, texted a lot and browsed the internet. Yet today using my Droid 2, I made one single 12 minute phone call after work and nothing else and it died in 4 hours. It seems to also take a very long time to charge, so after I charged for a couple hours I gave it another shot, but of course dead again in a few hours.

Is anybody else having this trouble with their Droid 2? I had read that it was supposed to have improved battery life from the original Droid, and longer lasting than any of the other new Droids as well.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
If that's really all you did (12 minute phone call) and it died after 4 hours, something is definitely not right. My D2 had a similar problem a couple of months back. One time my battery actually dropped 10% while on the charger. I think it eventually got fixed when I did a factory reset. If not, you might have a defective battery. Try a reset first though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
sessica

sessica

Reaction score
If that's really all you did (12 minute phone call) and it died after 4 hours, something is definitely not right. My D2 had a similar problem a couple of months back. One time my battery actually dropped 10% while on the charger. I think it eventually got fixed when I did a factory reset. If not, you might have a defective battery. Try a reset first though.

I did just read on a different forum website about someone doing a factory reset and their phone's battery greatly improved, but does that erase everything? Like on your memory card, should I copy everything to my computer first and then paste it back? A hassle since I already organized everything on here, but I would rather have a decent battery. I also read somewhere about conditioning your battery, that it takes a while to break it in, but I have never had to condition or break in a battery before in any kind of gadget.

OP
sessica

sessica

Reaction score
After doing a factory reset this morning my phone seems to be doing relatively well, even after playing a game a lot throughout the day. Hopefully it continues! Thanks so much!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score

I did just read on a different forum website about someone doing a factory reset and their phone's battery greatly improved, but does that erase everything? Like on your memory card, should I copy everything to my computer first and then paste it back? A hassle since I already organized everything on here, but I would rather have a decent battery. I also read somewhere about conditioning your battery, that it takes a while to break it in, but I have never had to condition or break in a battery before in any kind of gadget.
Whoops! I usually come back pretty soon after I post just to see if anyone has any questions. Guess I just forgot today :) I think you got everything covered, but I'll answer anyways! A factory reset wont erase your memory card, just the settings and everything on the phone will be removed. Contacts and apps will be restored when you re-enter your gmail account after a reset.

And yeah I noticed the droids seem to need to be conditioned in at first. I have a Droid 2 with an extended battery, and when I first put it in, it died just as fast as my old battery. I just let it die, did a full recharge, and after a day or so, the battery life was great!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
After doing a factory reset this morning my phone seems to be doing relatively well, even after playing a game a lot throughout the day. Hopefully it continues! Thanks so much!
No prob! Glad you got it working :D

OP
sessica

sessica

Reaction score

If you come across anyone else with this problem keep recommending the reset, I have talked on the phone a lot today and played a lot of games, and from being off the charger since 10am this morning my battery is still half charged at almost 11pm. Thanks again!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score

If you come across anyone else with this problem keep recommending the reset, I have talked on the phone a lot today and played a lot of games, and from being off the charger since 10am this morning my battery is still half charged at almost 11pm. Thanks again!
That's awesome :) Will definitely let others know if they come across the same problem. Unfortunately I lost my Droid 2 today :( so I might not be coming for a bit (atleast until I get another droid). Seeing everyone enjoy their droids would only make me sad :(

haha but anyways, enjoy your droid :D

josel545

Reaction score
Yes I've had trouble like that for a good while. At first I thought I was one of those rare cursed droid users but it seems not. My battery kinda randomizes the hour I can use it. Somedays ill keep my charge till almost 7p.m without charging it since 6 a.m. but there's days where it wont last even 2 hours. Im guessing maybe verizon needs to see what's up with the d2 batteries.

josel545

Reaction score
No I've done almost three hard resets and I've kept all my info. The things you do loose are apps unless you have them saved to your memory card and I also believe that the phone automatically downloads the apps you had back to the phone. My old D2 did it for me when I hard reset it. Hard resets are to wipe the phone completely and I still have all my pics, music, contacts etc