Poor battery life, very hot Droid

noping

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a Moto Droid from a Blackberry Curve 8330. I'm mostly happy with the device except for the extremely poor battery life. According to the "About" screen, the device has been on for ~5 hours (constant browsing for four of those hours over 3G, no videos/streaming) and only have 20% battery charge left. Nothing other than the news/weather widgets are open in the background (Bluetooth and GPS on, WiFi off, auto-brightness on):

Display: 53%
Browser: 29%
Android System: 9%
Cell Standby: 4%
Phone Idle: 2%
Android OS: 2%

By comparison, I would regularly get 10+ hours on a single charge on my Curve 8330 with a mixture of calls amd heavy browsing with Bt/GPS on.

Also, the unit seems to get very hot in the area above the battery compartment.

Is this short battery life normal, or did I get a bad unit/battery or something?

BastardKitty

Reaction score
I have had my Droid for about a week now - i downloaded the app task killer, turned off Wifi, etc... This helped with the battery life.

However, my battery runs HOT HOT HOT. :icon_eek: I will be on a 10 minute conversation & that thing just starts heating up. i am thinking of taking it in to have it checked out. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanks.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a Moto Droid from a Blackberry Curve 8330. I'm mostly happy with the device except for the extremely poor battery life. According to the "About" screen, the device has been on for ~5 hours (constant browsing for four of those hours over 3G, no videos/streaming) and only have 20% battery charge left. Nothing other than the news/weather widgets are open in the background (Bluetooth and GPS on, WiFi off, auto-brightness on):

Display: 53%
Browser: 29%
Android System: 9%
Cell Standby: 4%
Phone Idle: 2%
Android OS: 2%

By comparison, I would regularly get 10+ hours on a single charge on my Curve 8330 with a mixture of calls amd heavy browsing with Bt/GPS on.

Also, the unit seems to get very hot in the area above the battery compartment.

Is this short battery life normal, or did I get a bad unit/battery or something?

Welcome to the forum, noping! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...forums-stock-solutions-thread.html#post427113 and this should help you out!

:welcome:

OP
N

noping

Reaction score

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, so in Menu > Settings > Sounds & display settings > Brightness, what are you set at? Mine is about 25%. And what is your Screen timeout set to? Make those two as minimal as you can stand. That should help some...

slinky

Reaction score
There is no way on earth anyone gets 8 hours of browsing. As an FYI, the single tasking iPhone gets a MAX five hours of browsing over 3G and that is just barely with everything turned off. Average is 4 hours. If you're telling me you got roughly 4 hours of browsing over 5 hours of time and you haven't turned things down, I'll tell you that your battery life is doing damn well, especially for the resolution on the Droid which dwarfs the iphone.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Since rooting and overclocking my Droid runs much cooler than previously. My overclocker downshifts when I don't have my foot in the accelerator, thus saving on the battery. I keep the screen as dim as is comfortable and always put her to sleep as soon as I'm done with her. (unlike my wife who loves that after-cuddle :) ) My battery will last a good 8 hrs of moderate browsing, vid viewing, 5 or so calls and texts. She's asleep in her dock all night charging away.

Reaction score
If you're getting 4 hours of solid web browsing and still have 20% battery left, go buy a lottery ticket. It's your lucky day!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk