Droid update killed battery life & gets too hot

kbur316

Reaction score
I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether.

i have my sync on at all times as well, just because i like getting G-mails even when i am out and about.

i'm 19 and in college, so i am not home and near a PC as much as most. my phone has gotten noticeably warm before, but nothing i worried about. i am concerned greatly about battery life though.

i got the update out-of-box because i only got my DROID two weeks ago. i only have 1 of the 3 home screens fully devoted to apps, and the other has google search, power control, music player shortcut, and a digital clock widget. the third screen is still blank. i only have a handful of 3rd-party apps on it.

my question is, will leaving sync off really improve my battery that significantly?

(i enjoy receiving e-mails on-the-go, but i could do without most of the time if it gave me more battery!)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether.

i have my sync on at all times as well, just because i like getting G-mails even when i am out and about.

i'm 19 and in college, so i am not home and near a PC as much as most. my phone has gotten noticeably warm before, but nothing i worried about. i am concerned greatly about battery life though.

i got the update out-of-box because i only got my DROID two weeks ago. i only have 1 of the 3 home screens fully devoted to apps, and the other has google search, power control, music player shortcut, and a digital clock widget. the third screen is still blank. i only have a handful of 3rd-party apps on it.

my question is, will leaving sync off really improve my battery that significantly?

(i enjoy receiving e-mails on-the-go, but i could do without most of the time if it gave me more battery!)

Gmail is pushed and I don't think it is much of a drain. The main drain is screen brightness. Don't use the auto screen control setting and set brightness as low as you can tolerate.

I have my phone overclocked to 1.25Ghz and screen down to min unless I'm in bright sun and I get through an entire day (off charge at 5:30 and back on charge at 10:30/11:00PM). I'll usually have 30-40% charge left by then. And I use it a lot during each day.