Droid 2 Battery Drain

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Oh, haha... didn't know it had to be unplugged... This phone didn't come with a user manual... got it from Verizon's site. Interesting about the sound and Froyo info... Seriously though, thanks for the help. I'm thinking the Task Killer was nothing but a downgrade, and getting a few battery cycles in should help. I'll try to maintain that display too. This phone just seems way too freaking sick for the battery to not last long enough... and if it really is a bad issue, I'll just invest in a new battery. Do you know how to update all apps. at once? Then, I'll stop bothering you, haha :)

AtrusNex

Reaction score
There should just be a button, in the downloads section of the marketplace app that says something like "download all."

Khaotic

Reaction score
This is my first smartphone and I managed to get 1 day and 2 hours off of one charge and still have roughly 30% left. No I just didn't leave it in my pocket all day. It seems that the screen brightness KILLS the battery very quick. I highly suggest turning it down quite a bit.

OP
A

akpitt12

Reaction score
I haven't had ATK running for a day now, because I heard that it only drains the battery more. I turned my screen brightness all the way down. I'll let you know if that helps.

OP
A

akpitt12

Reaction score
Also to get your texts and emails to vibrate you have to go into text messages and then hit the menu button then settings and you can turn the vibrate on as well as set a ringtone, same goes for the email section.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
No task killing, no antivirus, remove un-needed widgets, keep brightness on auto (or as low as you can stand), update PRLs via *228 (once/month?), calibrate phone/battery by draining battery completely and then charging completely (do at least once/month and maybe a few times when new), I hope you don't have the droid x's no sleep bug: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

SerenityIV

Reaction score
I don't get what the problem is... It fully charges, then I unplug it from the outlet, and the battery already drains to 90%... the battery life is just awful on this phone.. I don't know if it's an OS problem or what, but I feel like I can barely play with it because it will die within a couple hours! Cell Standby uses 23% battery life, Phone idle uses 14%... Display is 26%... I wonder if these are even right! I want to play with this thing without it dying! And with the screen totally off, it still loses battery. Yesterday, I had the phone on, but the display was in "sleep mode", and I went to turn it on later, and the phone was dead!! I didn't even touch it! This problem needs to be addressed badly...

SerenityIV

Reaction score
How do you know if the GPS is on? You'd think they would have made Froyo specifically to handle having the GPS services enabled all the time...

SerenityIV

Reaction score
What's really interesting too... are the reviews on Verizon's site... everyone is saying the battery life is absolutely amazing, and can go 3 days straight... I can barely get 8 hours! I'd REALLY like to know how they're running their phone :/

OP
A

akpitt12

Reaction score
Agreed serenity, can't understand why the battery life is so awful..all i want it to do is last me through the day with moderate usage.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You all should download Spare Parts or another battery analysis app.

High cell standby happens in areas with poor coverage or if there was a problem during phone activation. You should try dialing *228 to update PRLs as this helped hugely for me. Definitely try this...it can only help.

Does the Droid 2 have the same "no sleep" bug as the X?...if you are interested in answering that for yourself check out this thread: http://androidforums.com/support-tr...428-battery-drain-due-software-bug-w-gps.html

I'm not saying it does. I don't own a droid 2.

Last edited:
OP
A

akpitt12

Reaction score
also, on messaging...does "data push" use tons of battery? Should I turn it off and set fetch to an hour schedule?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
also, on messaging...does "data push" use tons of battery? Should I turn it off and set fetch to an hour schedule?

You should be able to leave that on. Again, I don't own a droid 2 but on droid 1 you can keep sync on, wifi on, background data on, gps on. I do believe the phone is designed to keep all of this stuff on and use very little juice doing it. (wifi actually uses less power than 3g so you want to leave it available to the phone, gps only uses power when you're using an app/widget that accesses it, pushing for email accounts usually uses very little power)

In addition, I see a new preference (on the Droid X...again I don't have Droid 2) that lets you set the battery to smart mode. This is bull crap! Set it to performance mode if you want to be able to get emails any time of day. It barely makes a difference to the battery. I wouldn't have it any other way but on.

With all that said, who knows with the droid 2? It is so new, that it just may have the bugs that the droid x has...I'm talking about the "no sleep" bug that drains the x battery.

An app can cause battery drain. So can WIDGETS and LIVE WALLPAPERS. You can use a app (like Spare Parts) to tell you what's using your battery. Uninstall hungry apps, drag bad widgets to trash, use a static wallpaper.

Don't run a task killer. Keep brightness set to auto or as low as you can stand. Calibrate your battery when new and once/month. Update PRLs once/month.

I'm repeating myself.

Last edited:

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
Try inputting *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer. This will get you more detailed battery usage info. I believe it is what spareparts is accessing without having to install an app. Not sure if this will work on the Droid 2 as I have an X, but it does work on the Droid 1. Hopefully this will help you diagnose the problem.