battery drained within 2 hours

mbudescu

Reaction score
Last week my fully charged battery died within 2 hours of discharge, so I went to Verizon and got a brand new battery. Today my phone did the exact same thing even though I wasn't using it and no apps were running. I was trying to keep track every 30 minutes or so to see what was draining the battery and it said Android System was using 70% of my battery. Do I need to go get a new phone all together, or is there something I could do at home?

As I said, I am not running any apps and the phone doesn't appear to be running hot or anything.

Thanks in advance!

M

Matth3w

Anything in here you have tried?

How to improve battery life...

Also 70% doesn't mean it's used 70% of the battery. It means that 70% of the battery used (which could only be 10% of the battery life) is being used by that process. So say your top processes are 70% System and 30% Display but your battery was at 90% that means 7% of total battery used was system and 3% was display. Hope that makes sense.

Do you have a bunch of updating widgets and whatnot? How about email apps?

OP
M

mbudescu

Reaction score
Anything in here you have tried?

How to improve battery life...

Also 70% doesn't mean it's used 70% of the battery. It means that 70% of the battery used (which could only be 10% of the battery life) is being used by that process. So say your top processes are 70% System and 30% Display but your battery was at 90% that means 7% of total battery used was system and 3% was display. Hope that makes sense.

Do you have a bunch of updating widgets and whatnot? How about email apps?
Yes, what you are saying about the processes makes sense, thank you for clarifying that for me.
however, I don't think the battery problem is an innocuous as you suggest. The reality is that for the past week my phone was working fine, the battery would last for 24 hours after a charge and I was able to talk on the phone. For some reason though since yesterday it can't even last for 2 hours without being charged and if i talk on the phone for even 5 minutes the battery dies completely...there is clearly something more serious going on here.
and by the way, yes, I do have some updating widgets, but i run my app killer every 30 minutes to make sure the only thing running is my email and settings.

M

Matth3w

Well before someone comes in an rips you for using a TK, just keep in mind that every time you use a TK and don't have a huge exclude list, the phone is going to auto-restart every app it needs. For example, if you kill your messaging app it needs to restart it every time you get a message, so that doesn't really save you any ram or speed up your phone. I personally use a TK, one that doesn't run in the background. And I only use it to kill apps that are malfunctioning (for example, if the browser keeps GPS open).

As for your actual battery problem, I believe you that you have an issue. Are you still within your 30 day window? I would take the phone back...you can back up all your apps on your SD card with My Backup or Titanium Backup and the contacts will sync with GMail if you have it set up to do so, so those will be auto backed up.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you running 2.0.1? If you are this is probably nothing more then a bug that's in there. The battery reading you're getting is a false reading. You can check this out by charging it. If it returns to full power in 5 minutes then that's all it is.

Usually you will only see this bug one time.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmm, i would say that you are going in and out of service, which is a huge battery drain, but if your phone isn't running hot, then i'm not sure

Darkseider

Reaction score
I can only come up with one idea on this one. Hell even if you OC your Droid, and play 3D Homerun Derby with full on backlight you will last more than 2 hours. The only thing I can think of is the hardware responsible for charging/monitoring charge is faulty and is reporting a false voltage showing 100% when in reality it's 20% and stops charging. Other than that I have no idea.

M

Matth3w

Yeah, what happens if your battery dies and you reboot the phone? Does it still show dead or does it reset the charge to a higher charge?

Midnight.Harvester

Reaction score
I'm on 2.01 as well and get false memory readings a lot. I've never encountered anything this drastic though. When first got each battery, did you fully charge it like the manual said, or completely drain it first. When I got mine I fully drained it first. Just something else to think about. Not sure that that could cause that kind of damage but who knows.

azdavep

Reaction score
Battery issues

I have noticed on my Droid that about once per week after a full night of charging. The system will report a about dead battery. The system seems confused. If I reboot the phone or plug in a charger for just a few seconds the battery once again has a fully charged status.

Looks like a bug to me.....