"Android System" on RAZR M draining battery

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
So my phone has a terrible battery life (Droid RAZR M) and I have to charge it often. I've been looking at what's been draining it, and over 30% of the battery use is the Android System. Below that is the screen, at 14% (fair enough), and then the "Android OS" at 9%. Why is the system draining so much? Before my screen would use a ton, but now I barely use my phone in fear it will die, and yet the system is still draining it at a rapid pace. What can I do to fix this? I've disabled smart actions, but hasn't even made a dent, over 10% gone in the past hour and I haven't even used it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This has been discussed quite a bit by quite a few users on the Moto forum also. When KitKat 4.4.2 was first released for the Razr M I had 4 of them in my house (all 4 family members). Before KitKat I used to be able to go off the charger at 05:30 and use it all day and when I put it back on the charger around 10:00 PM, would still have 20-30% life...pretty awesome for a phone with a small battery. After KitKat, we all took a hit on battery life...my wife's phone was the worst. I could still go from 05:30 to around 12:00 Noon and need a quick charge to get through the afternoon & evening, with the same usage patterns. I unchecked the Backup All Settings to Google option, backed up all my personal files, pics, music, etc. and did a FDR. After the FDR and manually installing apps and settings the way I wanted them I was able to go from 05:30 to around 3:00 PM before needing a quick charge. And, the Android System / Android OS was much lower on the list of Battery Hogs. I noticed that Location services and location stuff was still using a lot of battery (all those new "gotta know your current location features"). So I manually turned Off all Location settings and that gained me another hour or two of battery life...if I needed GPS or Maps, I just turned Location settings back to On. So the FDR and turning Off all Location settings got me back to about 12 hours of normal use before needing a charge...not what it was on ICS, but at least I could get through a work day and get home before topping off for the evening.

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
I have not restarted my phone recently. Plus, I don't know if i'm willing to do a FDR, I use a phone cleaner to get rid of lots of excess files. I do not have location services on either. Do you have any suggestions though? I really appreciate the detail used.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A loy of experts say that cleaner type apps use more battery than do good...that they are no good for Android. Maybe uninstall that and clear the system cache every few days. Those will not help a lot...but maybe a little.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I think an FDR is an excellent idea here! Just make sure the battery is fully charged and plugged in when you initiate it! I usually do two in a row without seeing anything up and skip thru the setup

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!