Droid 2 Battery Drain

OP
A

akpitt12

Reaction score
another day, this time changing everything, no wifi, no gps, no sync, barely any widgets, and only moderate app use, and still 2 charges...I really hope theres a fix for this coming.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
If the Droid 2 is also having partial wake issues. You'll be able to check it by going to your hidden menu(*#*#INFO#*#*) > Battery History > Other Usage. If your running percentage is near 100% or dramatically different than your screen on percentage after letting your phone sit with the screen of for a while, then you probably have a partial wake problem like the no sleep bug.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the Droid 2 is also having partial wake issues. You'll be able to check it by going to your hidden menu(*#*#INFO#*#*) > Battery History > Other Usage. If your running percentage is near 100% or dramatically different than your screen on percentage after letting your phone sit with the screen of for a while, then you probably have a partial wake problem like the no sleep bug.

And Verizon and Motorola sell extended batteries.

OK, guys, I don't have a Droid 2, but on Droid X this is the workaround(to the best of my knowledge):

1)turn off gps setting when done using
2)turn off wifi when done using
3)after charging, unplug phone from charger, shut down phone, start up phone. if phone was off when charging, start up phone, unplug phone, shut down phone, start up phone

NONE of this should be necessary, but because of one or more bugs--on the Droid X anyway--it is.

Unrelated to this bug, if Cell standby is high, dial *228 to update PRLs.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* or use an app like Spare Parts to analyze your battery usage. Uninstall any problem apps/widgets/live wallpapers

Chrissywish

Reaction score
same battery problem

just got my droid 2 today...couldn't believe how bad the battery was....5 or 6 hours and needed a full recharge. Going to try charging it to full and using some of the tricks on the droid x page to see what is killing my battery

Burnicus

Reaction score
1. VZ must be doing something shady with their reviews, because the battery life on this is substantially worse than the Droid 1.
2. I have tried many different things, but there appears to be some serious problems with the base install apps. I had the thing completely drain a full charge on Sat night while it was in my pocket. The only reason I noticed it was out of control was the fact that my pocket got hot. Evidently the processor was going crazy with something.
3. I understand that there are ways to make the battery last longer, but this is ridiculous. I feel like a downgraded from the Droid 1.

Reaction score
How do you know if the GPS is on? You'd think they would have made Froyo specifically to handle having the GPS services enabled all the time...

from the home page
hold down the menu button
add widget
android widget
power control

i have my battery settings on saver mode, gps and wifi off and i went from a two charge a day issue to it being off the charger at 7 am and going til 2am before dropping to 15% battery life ( 2-5 phone calls and tons of txts email etc ) aminaked was able to help me out with this hopefully this helps you and others

TOPCAT

Reaction score
Droid System Update Kills Battery No Longer A Cell Phone

another day, this time changing everything, no wifi, no gps, no sync, barely any widgets, and only moderate app use, and still 2 charges...I really hope theres a fix for this coming.

I've gone through the same thing and the same phone that used to get 15 to 20 hours of battery life now gets 1-2.

If they don't have fix and soon this will kill the Droid.
I may have to get another phone this week if they don't do something.
I can't travel with the phone constantly plugged in.

kudzu71

Reaction score
I installed a battery monitor to see what was going on and my battery temp stays around 103 degrees all day even when it hasnt been used in hours. Something is very wrong with this latest update. When I first got the phone in June I got 2 days heavy usage on one charge with sync running all the time.

Tward

Reaction score
Hey guys new here and to the whole android experience and coming from a droid 1 so i am wonderig what kind of % should the running and screen be at? I just did mine and its running 35% and screen 28% . Also has anyone tried changing the preferred network from cdma auto to gsm/cdma auto, I had to do that with my storm 1 and also just read about my fiancees ally and had to do it on hers as well and it helped out on battery consumption on the storm, not sure about the allly just yet though.

Last edited:

L4WD0GG

Reaction score
Stock D2 running...

Launcher pro
Aquarium live wallpaper
Set in "maximum battery saver mode"

No problems no, force closes.
Just ran quadrant, ran 1332 with 10% battery.

It's been
1d 16h 49m 27s since unplugged.

Droid does battery life.

jonnypc123

Reaction score
Very disappointed wtih the phone batter

I downloaded only 2-3 apps, all with 4 or 5 stars and the battery on this phone is horrible. Why make a phone with so much capability just to have the battery not be able to handle it? I mean and the battery can barely handle the default settings of the phone alone. This phone is quite pathetic and anyone asking me about it, I would never recommend them getting it. I wish I would have read about this before getting the phone as I would have just gotten a different one. I liked my LG Dare a lot better as I could browse the internet and what not for hours and still have the battery last all day long. I added the power control, dimmed my screen but to have to do that just to help save battery life is the most ridiculous thing I've ever had to do with a phone. It's just another poorly thought out phone that promised all the bells and whistles but didn't think of providing a battery that could handle all the hype. Out of 5 stars I'd give this phone a 1.5. The phone and how it functions is awesome but pointless if i have to be recharging it and/or turning crap off just to save some battery life.

blicket

Reaction score
battery life is unacceptable

I hate my droid 2. coming from a blackberry which could go for days doing heavy emails, bbm, and music, this phone is a gigantic disappointment. With all it's functionality, it's practically worthless.

The battery is practically drained after 4 hours just sitting in my pocket not doing anything. This happens even AFTER I installed advanced task killer, remove all but the weather widget, manually email sync to corporate, turn off bluetooth + wifi + gps, dim to the screen to 2 (it's rooted), auto lock to 15 seconds and a fresh reboot.

On top of that, every time I put the damn thing in my pocket, it heats up like a nuclear reactor.

this product is totally unacceptable.

tx_angel

Reaction score
No task killing, no antivirus, remove un-needed widgets, keep brightness on auto (or as low as you can stand), update PRLs via *228 (once/month?), calibrate phone/battery by draining battery completely and then charging completely (do at least once/month and maybe a few times when new), I hope you don't have the droid x's no sleep bug: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

OK, dumb questions from the Newbie... what is PRLs?:)

harrellj

Reaction score
PRL is basically roaming information for the phone. Part of that is also just getting a list of towers (including new ones).

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

AllieBaba

Reaction score
Is anyone else having this problem? just after a few mins of unplugging my phone battery drops from 100-90% does anyone know why? and how I can stop it?