Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

PinoyDroid

Reaction score
3 hours ago i manually updated to froyo 2.2 and am so far estatic about it, but have one serious issue.

battery life has gone down extremely quick and is really disappointing. Just three hours after updating battery is dead, went down to less than 5% and i had to charge it.

i have a task killer and at first just manually kept killing, and then set auto kill to aggressive. Made the brightness all the way down and screen timeout to 15 seconds and still dies so fast.

has anyone had this problem?? I really cant afford to have to keep charging every 3 hours.

Moreno

Reaction score
I haven't had this problem, I don't think I've noticed too much of a difference in Battery Life. But one thing I do notice is the screen flickers black every so often.

ttocs70

Reaction score
Battery Problems

I am having the same issue. It also take forever to charge back up.

myriad46

Reaction score
3 hours ago i manually updated to froyo 2.2 and am so far estatic about it, but have one serious issue.

battery life has gone down extremely quick and is really disappointing. Just three hours after updating battery is dead, went down to less than 5% and i had to charge it.

i have a task killer and at first just manually kept killing, and then set auto kill to aggressive. Made the brightness all the way down and screen timeout to 15 seconds and still dies so fast.

has anyone had this problem?? I really cant afford to have to keep charging every 3 hours.

Have you charged it up completely and then watched it drain fast, again? Because if it drained fast after downloading a 45 MB file and then go through a processor-intensive OS update, it's not suprising that it took a little battery power.

ttocs70

Reaction score
Battery Issues

I took it off the charge this morning at 7:00 and by 9:00 without even using it I was down to 70%.

myriad46

Reaction score
Ouch! Looks like something is butting heads with one of the updates. I wouldn't keep using the task killer, but could you list what is showing up as running processes?

chiefvelo

Reaction score
the processor must be pegged doing something or the data connection is constantly hot.
easiest way to fix is probably wipe it and then add one app back at a time to find the problem on.

TheAlbatross

Reaction score
I'm registering to say that I have the same issue.
Also, the back of the phone is running HOT.

I updated yesterday and then noticed my battery die quick. Now, that happens sometimes, so I didn't worry about it... but I noticed at night it took for ever to charge, like several hours to go from 30% to 70%, and then another hour or two to get to 90%. When I fell asleep, it was at 90%. I woke up to it at 100% this morning, but here, about 1.5 hours later, I've noticed it's dipped down below where it normally is.

So, the back of the phone is running HOT. I'm scanning through to see what's using a lot of battery --

Android OS is using 41%
Display: 19%
Android System: 12%
Email: 10%
Cell Standby: 7%
Phone Idle: 4%
com.android.launcher: 3%
Bluetooth: 2%

That's it.
Can anybody compare? Is Android OS or Email using a significant more power?

The most striking thing is that the phone is running hot on the back, just to the right of the camera lens, slightly higher than battery bay. I've had the phone for a year and can say that it's hotter than usual... enough so that I can feel it in my pocket.

ttocs70

Reaction score
Battery Issue

Mine is running very hot also. We seem to be having exactly the same problem. Mine took all night to charge also.

chiefvelo

Reaction score
Android OS is running way high. Mine is like 3%. That is way its hot and killing your battery. Could be an app. reset or use an app (spareparts manybe) to find the troubled app?

TheAlbatross

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Chiefvelo. I'm going to look into it. I thought Android OS was too high. I didn't add any Apps last night after updating, but one or more could be borked up after the update.

I'll look into it and let you know.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I throw this out there? Perhaps your battery use is because of the fact that you are constantly using it because it has a new OS?

In every update I've ever seen, it doesn't matter what phone one of the first negatives to come out is about the battery.

As far as it being warm, they can get warm from time to time these phones can get quite hot. I've seen my battery temp up as high as 118 degrees.

Just checked the temperature on my rooted 2.2 phone and the cpu is running at at a very comfortable 82 degrees. I haven't been playing with my Droid all morning.

TheAlbatross

Reaction score
Hookbill, I wouldn't have posted if that were the case. For the most part, I'm not an idiot.

BigNelsen

Reaction score
Exact same problem. Battery seemed to run down faster than normal. Not too concerned about that. Main concern is the heat. Same location as others have posted. Right next to the camera. I am pretty sure that has never happened with the 2.1 update.

My thoughts were I have linked to my work exchange server now (works pretty good by the way). That is the main hog of the battery usage when I look into it. Working on adjusting the update cycles (push vs. every 15 minutes).

The odd thing is, the heat is not always there. Seems to be inconsistant in both the phone not being used and being used.

A little concerned that I may have been too eager to get 2.2 with a "official" (probably not) manual update.

Can an update change the processor speed higher causing more heat?