Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

truckbutt

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why this update has caused increased, decreased and unchanged battery life amongst different owners? Since the update is the same, it seems to me that it must have to do with whatever applications different people are running.

pilot25

Reaction score
truck, it depends on what you have running and how it updates. The example I have used is the mlb widget that updates constantly every 15-60 seconds, depending on how you set it. You cannot turn off those auto updates unless you "kill" it but Google took that away from us. Their explanation is a ridiculous "pie in the sky" attitude on how apps should be written instead of how they are written.

truckbutt

Reaction score
truck, it depends on what you have running and how it updates. The example I have used is the mlb widget that updates constantly every 15-60 seconds, depending on how you set it. You cannot turn off those auto updates unless you "kill" it but Google took that away from us. Their explanation is a ridiculous "pie in the sky" attitude on how apps should be written instead of how they are written.

Thanks. Makes sense. We all have the same OS and basic Apps. It has to be whatever else is added on.

weezyldroid27

Reaction score

Thanks. Makes sense. We all have the same OS and basic Apps. It has to be whatever else is added on.

I would go into Applications and see what ones are using network communication and you can force stop them in applications/ manage applications/ running. Or Uninstall...you're choice. I just hope some kind of patch gets released to fix this issue. maybe do something like windows vista and ask permissions for communications between apps and network IDK. Just want my battery to last is that really difficult for motorola? I mean the Iphone's battery is awesome I heard. How can a droid beat out an Iphone if the life of the Iphone is better, alive and kicking while Android phones die!

pilot25

Reaction score
I don't use facebook or exchange. I deleted all widgets and I still get terrible battery drain. Android system is over 40%. I did a factory reset, didn't install any apps and still have android system over 40%. What the F!!!

2.2 blows....

tpilkington

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem...a battery lasts about 4 hours with moderate use. much worse with Froyo (I manually downloaded). Battery runs hot...Has anyone figured this out yet?

pilot25

Reaction score
I find the battery doesn't run as hot as the CPU. To the left of the camera lens is very hot to the touch.

ronikself

Reaction score
Return to Motorola Droid, a smartphone very important for the success of Android, at least in the United States, we also hear that Flash will be available for users Droid even later. Battery life seemed to run faster when I upgraded to 2.2. Perhaps because I spent more time with the phone than I normally would when I was testing new features, but I do not charge it for a while.

Kylar

Reaction score
Phone is the Original Motorola Droid a855

Battery issues here, there is alot of good info in these threads about battery life and how to increase it, but they are irrelevant to the issue at hand its a different problem.

before 2.2 I usually could go a full weekend without charging at all.

I have not changed by usage at all from 2.1 to 2.2.

I saw alot of apps on my task killer that never showed up as running until after the 2.2 update. I used the task killer to see if that helped, it didn't, so I uninstalled it and that still didnt help. Same with Facebook, didnt make a difference

I have not added any new apps, i even tried deleting alot of apps i didn't use(including some of the ones showing up in the task killer previously that i don't really use).

I have turned off auto sync/fetch on everything except my gmail, my facebook and hotmail are turned off.
I made sure everything that fetches was set to over an hour, e-mail, etc.

Turned off GPS

BATTERY IS STILL HORRIBLE, Sunday i didnt use the phone that much and i had to throw it on the charger twice during the day for about an hour to give me a little more life. It cant even last a full day without the battery dropping to yellow or red by the end of the day.

Keep in mind I didnt have to do ANY of this stuff with 2.1(i.e turn off gps, set fetching longer apart, turn off sync, etc) and my battery still lasted the whole weekend based on my usage.

There is a major issue here and its not just people playing with the new OS too much......

Last edited:

lilstar0987

Reaction score
my phone is also dying within hours. and extremely hott. it took alll night to charge and only lasted 3 hours. the 2.2 update is not working for me. my phone is running very slow now

mg8199

Reaction score
I manually updated to 2.2 and I was having the exact same problem. My homescreen was unresponsive and blank for about 10 seconds after switching applications. The upper back left corner of the phone was hot. It would take HOURS to fully charge... Etc. etc etc. I simply performed the 'ole "3 battery pull" tactic. From what I had read online it was instructing to turn the phone off before pulling the battery. I did that and nothing happened. So instead I left my Droid ON and pulled. Turned it back on and pulled and did so one more time. My phone worked fine after that. Like brand new. :motdroidvert:

mg8199

Reaction score
I've said this so many times that I probably have already said this earlier in the thread. I've never seen any update ever go out where people say the battery has gotten better. Well, I did see it sort of on 2.0.1 but there was so much positive energy on that thread that somebody felt the need to speak up for the side of negativity, and once that happened the positive thread was buried.

Does anybody think that maybe these reports on so called reduced battery life is a result of just playing with the darn thing a lot when we get a new OS? I think holding off on battery life post for at least a week, maybe 2 is a good idea. Then we can see what it really does.

--------------------

Good point but I know for a fact that after the Froyo update I had some issues. The back was constantly hot and it took at LEAST 2 hours to charge my phone. Like I said in my earlier post, I did the "3 battery pull" trick and it was fine after that. Who knows...