Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

Tony09

Reaction score
My battery life suffered a bit after the OTA. I don't feel like doing a factory reset though because the phone is faster. I was running Helix with 7 screens before, now I'm using the stock launcher.

jetzhu

Reaction score
My Working Solution for battery problem after 2.2 automatic upgrade.

I take the suggestion to reset the handset to factory setting first. Then Start added different features every hour and check battery usage. finally, I notice as soon as I enable push on exchange, the battery will run down many times faster than before. And by connect wifi, I can monitor the data usage on my ddwrt. and found out automatic(push) use a lot of data. and that explains why the battery life runs down faster.

This also explains why someone's battery life didn't affected by the update, because they are not using exchange service. Please let us know if you have the battery problem (phone runs hot, battery run out in 4 hours even not in use), please let use know if you also use exchange for email with push.

Solution,
Suggest to change :
Email -> Menu -> Account Setting ->Email check frequency ->Every 10 minutes.

After change to this setting, my battery actrually runs longer compare with 2.1 firmware.

Hope it helps.

-Jet

PatX

Reaction score
Laggy

#1 stop using task killers. they are bad for the phone and you don't need them. #2, froyo is a lot faster with a lot more enhancements, meaning the battery will not be as good. my battery seems to run down pretty fast. i go from %100-%60 within 5 hours of heavy use

I manually updated to 2.2 when the file first appeared and I have only noticed a lot of lag since then. Whenever I am in an app and jump right to the home screen, the icons take awhile to load and if I try to swipe to another screen it takes several seconds for the screen to move.

Also, I will sometimes open the app drawer and the icons take awhile to load.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

I dont use a task killer and I never rooted my phone. Help!

pilot25

Reaction score
The task killers are no longer working with froyo. My battery is getting killed from running widgets constantly. Now we can't kill them without going through the settings menu.

F -ING annoying.

FredNitz

Reaction score
Task Killers are at odds with how the Android OS works. Android manages tasks and memory all by itself, unloading and loading them when it needs to.

It also anticipates what you might do next so will load things it thinks you are going to use. And it doesn't take any more battery to have the memory full as to have it empty. Lots of empty memory is not a good thing for Android OS.

This is NOT WINDOWS.

The only time this scheme doesn't work is if one of your tasks is misbehaving and then that application should be uninstalled.

By the way, backing out of a task is not the same as hitting the Home button. Hitting the Home button leaves the task running.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Strange, I've had 2.2 running for about 2 - 2 and a half weeks now through a manual update. I hadn't noticed any issues at all the first two weeks, until last night.

Yesterday morning, I started with 100%. After very little use, I was around 80% - 90% last night. I shut the phone off overnight. When I turned it back on this morning, I had dropped to a half full meter, and within five minutes (checking only emails and installing one update from the market), I went down to 20% and a yellow battery indicator.

I plugged it in before leaving for work, and jumped from 20% to 70% in under ten minutes. I brought my charger with me to work, and now it seems to be charging at a normal rate.

I thought for sure I was in the clear with battery issues, apparently not.

mitchbecker

Reaction score
I'm registering to say that I have the same issue.
Also, the back of the phone is running HOT.

I updated yesterday and then noticed my battery die quick. Now, that happens sometimes, so I didn't worry about it... but I noticed at night it took for ever to charge, like several hours to go from 30% to 70%, and then another hour or two to get to 90%. When I fell asleep, it was at 90%. I woke up to it at 100% this morning, but here, about 1.5 hours later, I've noticed it's dipped down below where it normally is.

So, the back of the phone is running HOT. I'm scanning through to see what's using a lot of battery --

Android OS is using 41%
Display: 19%
Android System: 12%
Email: 10%
Cell Standby: 7%
Phone Idle: 4%
com.android.launcher: 3%
Bluetooth: 2%

That's it.
Can anybody compare? Is Android OS or Email using a significant more power?

The most striking thing is that the phone is running hot on the back, just to the right of the camera lens, slightly higher than battery bay. I've had the phone for a year and can say that it's hotter than usual... enough so that I can feel it in my pocket.

Same with mine. Extremely hot on the back and battery life went from about 16 hours to about 2 hours after the update. It also has been running very slow. It sometimes takes up to 30 seconds to load my contact list which is extremely irritating.

jmack356

Reaction score
My battery life is unaffected by Froyo - In fact, it may have actually improved.
I've been playing with it for most of the day since 2.2's arrival, and after a full day I'm still @ 70%.

pilot25

Reaction score
Frednitz,

It assumes all apps are created the same. Many widgets run constantly killing the battery. Using a task killer helps to "kill" the widget easily without the pains of going through the settings menu. The "this isn't Windows" line doesn't apply and is BS that this function has been taken away. What's the point of a widget if its going to run all day long when not in use.

Google f-ed up royally

jonnyj99

Reaction score
Battery fell very quickly and is really disappointing. Just three hours after the upgrade of the battery died, dropped to less than 5% and I had to refresh it.As who has just discovered, some gradually Nexus now adorned with Android 2.2 Froy in deploying the new operating system. N1 owners are sure to get it soon.

weezyldroid27

Reaction score

kgbmiker

Reaction score
I just noticed that I had no 3G in my building at work, could this be my issue? Sunday at my house after being unplugged for 12-13 hours my bat was at 70% (minimal use, but still!)

kgbmiker

Reaction score
Battery fell very quickly and is really disappointing. Just three hours after the upgrade of the battery died, dropped to less than 5% and I had to refresh it.As who has just discovered, some gradually Nexus now adorned with Android 2.2 Froy in deploying the new operating system. N1 owners are sure to get it soon.

check this out guys
New Facebook Update is Draining Batteries? (Updated) | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Facebook claims that they fixed that issue with the update that came out few days after

blb.austintx

Reaction score
I have a temporary solution that worked for me: Go to Settings > Accounts & sync, and turn off background data.

Lots of things don't work correctly when you do that. E.g., email won't auto-update, Google Voice won't auto-update, Weatherbug won't auto-update, Market won't work unless you temporarily turn background data back on, etc., etc.

But at least the battery will last longer than a couple of hours.

I did a hard-reset, taking it down to bare bones 2.2 (manual update version FRG01B), and then just turned email back on (which for me is both gmail and Exchange Server). Didn't install any other Market apps that might hit the data connection a lot. Battery life was still bad.

I tried just turning off push email. Battery life still bad.

Only solution for me has been to turn off background data.

I'm curious if this fixes it for others.