Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

OP
P

PinoyDroid

Reaction score
alright well so far after letting the phone charge all night, battery "seems" ok. idk after three hours it is down to 80% but havent touched it sincee i took it out of charger.

phone idle- 20%
display - 19%
cell standby - 16%
Android system - 13%
voice calls - 7%
com.android.launcher - 4%
market 4%
android OS 4%

and ive noticed that everytime i manually kill an app, i kill 8-10 at a time. back at 2.1 i averaged only 4 apps killed.

are these numbers staggeringly high or am i just being paranoid?
i too feel that i was too eager to get 2.2 that i think i shouldve waited for the OTA, but this wouldnt void warranty right? manually updating that is

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can I throw this out there? Perhaps your battery use is because of the fact that you are constantly using it because it has a new OS?

In every update I've ever seen, it doesn't matter what phone one of the first negatives to come out is about the battery.

As far as it being warm, they can get warm from time to time these phones can get quite hot. I've seen my battery temp up as high as 118 degrees.

Just checked the temperature on my rooted 2.2 phone and the cpu is running at at a very comfortable 82 degrees. I haven't been playing with my Droid all morning.

this is why mine was hott yesterday..i was just messing around with it all afternoon after i got the 2.2 just to see what's new and the hidden stuff as well..it got hot thru downloading apps, testing Flash, doing the quadrant score, etc. now that im practically done messing around with it. the droid just sits on my desk and it's been pretty coool.

mnc8248

Reaction score
After updating yesterday my battery seemed to die very quickly. I plugged it in and after charging all night, it was only back up to 60% and the back was very hot. I turned the data connection off completely and kept it charging for less than an hour and it had jumped to 80% and was cool again. After playing with it more I noticed the data icon showed it was almost constantly transmitting and receiving something. I have since narrowed it down to Exchange push email. If I turn push off on my account it seems to go back to normal. I have factory reset and this does not take care of the problem. There is a page about this on code.google.com where they seem to have resolved it. I checked my email log and it shows the exact same thing as the example on the page where the phone is pinging the server every second or multiple times a second.

Issue 9718 - android - Email app polling Exchange more than once a second - Project Hosting on Google Code

Might want to check if you have Exchange mailboxes and see if this is your problem as well.

OP
P

PinoyDroid

Reaction score
hm alright, well as far as my question about warranty? manually updating to 2.2 should void it right?

OP
P

PinoyDroid

Reaction score
alright well after searching through various forums, ive come across a problem stated in androidforums.com

i really am not sure if its true but here it is: Android 2.2 [Froyo] Bugs and Questions - Post em Here - Page 4 - Android Forums

its posted by Trident simply stating that: ATTENTION: Motorola and Verizon have found issue with this OTA update and it is rumored that there will be another next week. For those who have already installed this, don't freak out, you will be able to install the new update right over this one. For those who have not already installed this, it's probably best to wait until next week. Stay tuned for more information..

pilot25

Reaction score
hm alright, well as far as my question about warranty? manually updating to 2.2 should void it right?

The VZ people at the store near me doesn't even know that the droids they sell are 2.1 and going to be updated to 2.2.

There is no way they would even know what you are talking about.

retoocs

Reaction score
I drained my battery by the time I got off work, very unusual. I did notice that ATK isn't working properly. It hasn't been killing the browser. It showed it did, but I don't think it is really working. Didn't notice that till it maxed out on the number of windows opened. Perhaps this is why the battery drain has been so high.

myriad46

Reaction score
I've been using it since 2 and it doesn't seem to be overdraining. I've been playing with it constantly, and have downloaded a bunch of stuff. Seems fine.

melvillebutler

Reaction score
I have never any faced such type of issue. But I think that The battery had been drained very far due to some caused such as If Users have kept their cells always in vibrant mode . This is the main cause of this issue. If You have valid validity over the battery then replace it and get new one in place of it.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Latest word seems to be that task killers do not play nice with the 2.2 update. If you are having battery/heat issues try turning it off/not using it. I have had the manual 2.2 since it was posted two days ago and have had no battery drain/heat problems. I would also recommend a battery pull after installing any update and rebooting.

OP
P

PinoyDroid

Reaction score
alright well after listening to what people have said about task killers, i have finally uninstalled it and things have gotten way way better.

battery life is back to normal, and if anything i say have improved. oh thank you for advising me to uninstall the ATK. froyo has been that much more enjoyable now.

ive been downloading different things all day and battery is still great!

Paul1201

Reaction score
I noticed that for me after updating to 2.2 SportyPal used over 30% of my battery the last 2 days. I use it every morning to track my runs. I just uninstalled and reinstalled and will keep an eye on it the next couple of days. Does anyone else use this app and are you having a similar problem?

Mungo Baobab

Reaction score
Facebook draining battery

Gang, Droid-Life is reporting that the Facebook update that was pushed out yesterday is draining the battery and that Facebook is aware of the issue and working on a patch. So since it came out the same time as the 2.2 manual, it is possible that it is NOT the 2.2 update but the Facebook update.

Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Last edited: