Apple Infuriating Customers By Auto Bricking Their iPhones!

"Please protect me from those evil identity thieves disguised as small business owners".
Does Samsung make any of the affected parts for Apple? The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Samsung continues to make parts for Apple so they can reverse engineer them into their own products. That's why I said in my previous post that Samsung will most likely do the same thing. They might add it into Knox, or not, but with so many so worried about theft they'll also get away with it after poking fun at Apple first. "It's not a smartphone. It's a Galaxy" after all.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate
I'm not saying I agree with apple or the other manufacturers. I am saying good luck with anyone taking the issue to court. Whether it be because of control issues or not, they already have a legally produced statement crafted by their lawyers pointing to security. So if a company want to fix their phones they have to meet Apple's new criteria. And if a mom and pop want to take apple to court they will lose because of the fact Apple threw out the word security.

And I don't the trend of manufacturers hiding their intentions behind the term security slowing down. Even Google have used "security" to justify many of their recent changes to their software.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

And right after they just lost a patent lawsuit here comes this disaster. Their supposed $1 billion is quickly dwindling. What boggles me is that some people don't have a choice where to repair their iPhone so this is completely unfair. "We're punishing you from using your only option." Ridiculous.

Why brick the phone if this is a matter of security? Simply shut down touch ID. Bricking the whole phone is plain stupid faulty engineering

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My girlfriends daughter fought me tooth and nail that she HAD to have an iPhone. Mind you, she's broken EVERY phone she's ever owned, so I literally can't wait for her phone to need a repair, and she gets caught up in this brick. Lol. Teach her a lesson. :p

I'm not an iPhone user, but I will defend their stance this time. They're, essentially, protecting encrypted data on the device. The only time the device is affected by Error 53 is by repairing the Fingerprint ID Scanner.

I'm not an iPhone user, but I will defend their stance this time. They're, essentially, protecting encrypted data on the device. The only time the device is affected by Error 53 is by repairing the Fingerprint ID Scanner.
On one hand I agree..on the other. I don't think you should need apples bleeding for whatever repair shop or mods you make on their phone..

Why does it have to brick the device and destroy all onboard data though? As I understand it a lack of needed code toggle causes the phone to basically self destruct minus the pyrotechnics. A lock out trigger I could understand but I don't see the need for the nuclear option choice only, especially in world markets without Apple store support.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Bummer.
I guess Samsung will make fun of that in a new commercial........then follow suit at some point soon after.
I remember back in the day when Moto added a chip need into their phones to use only their oem batteries that had the chip. Man oh man. We thought that was evil. This story is so much worse.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Samsung already bricks your phone if you attempt to root.

Asurion is a common insurance company used by several wireless carriers. They refurbish phones in-house and send those phones out as replacements to customers who file claims. I wonder if they are aware of the 'pairing' requirement by Apple. If not, this is going to be a headache for the wireless carriers who will be getting a lot of calls from angry customers. For reasons passing understanding customers think the carrier is responsible for every aspect of a phone... o_O News flash people, the carrier provides the SERVICE they don't manufacture the equipment. One more note, since Asurion reps can't seem to tell the difference between an ESN and a UICC number I doubt they know about 'Error 53.'

Asurion is a common insurance company used by several wireless carriers. They refurbish phones in-house and send those phones out as replacements to customers who file claims. I wonder if they are aware of the 'pairing' requirement by Apple. If not, this is going to be a headache for the wireless carriers who will be getting a lot of calls from angry customers. For reasons passing understanding customers think the carrier is responsible for every aspect of a phone... o_O News flash people, the carrier provides the SERVICE they don't manufacture the equipment. One more note, since Asurion reps can't seem to tell the difference between an ESN and a UICC number I doubt they know about 'Error 53.'
Asurion insures devices. I doubt they do actual repairs. I would think a reparable device is sent to an authorised repair center who would know about error 53.

Reactions: cr6
Wow is all I can say. I feel like everyone else has already covered anything else I would say and I've only skimmed the first page of posts.

I'm not sure how Apple could be held liable if you got a third-party fingerprint scanner installed and it turned out to be malicious. Wasn't Apple's fault. They didn't sell it to you or recommend you got it.

Just let people make their own mistakes Apple. Sometimes, you just have to let go.

Apple said the customer is going against their terms & conditions with regards to replacing the fingerprint scanner. It makes sense if you think about it. They're just covering their butt. Complete brick isn't right, they could at least auto backup the customers data for them.

S5 tap'n

Apple said the customer is going against their terms & conditions with regards to replacing the fingerprint scanner. It makes sense if you think about it. They're just covering their butt. Complete brick isn't right, they could at least auto backup the customers data for them.

S5 tap'n
The permanent data loss is what bugs me about it more than anything as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

S5 tap'n
I think the farthest the should've gone is a persistent warning if they're really that worried about it. Then, they can say that they did what they could to warn the user without DELETING THEIR DATA AND RENDERING A $600+ PHONE USELESS.

That's ridiculous and this warning doesn't even give you any indication of wtf it's for. If you see that error number, you know less than you would with an obnoxious persistent warning/notification AND not be able to use your phone if you choose to do so.

Going against their terms and conditions? F U Apple. If I pay good money for a device, it is now mine to do with as I see fit. If I choose to do something that could compromise me or my data, that's on me. Get outta my face. :p

Back