APN will not save!

pgoughy

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster.

I have a Motorola Droid 2 Global which I have not been able to set for internet. It is driving me nuts! Everytime I put the APN in it disappears.

I downloaded and application called APN Manager which allows me to see it but I can’t get it to work.

I purchased it via ebay from the US and am using it here in Australia. It's an awesome phone but pretty useless without the data!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

silver6054

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster.

I have a Motorola Droid 2 Global which I have not been able to set for internet. It is driving me nuts! Everytime I put the APN in it disappears.

I downloaded and application called APN Manager which allows me to see it but I can’t get it to work.

I purchased it via ebay from the US and am using it here in Australia. It's an awesome phone but pretty useless without the data!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Did you try to do it without the application? Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access point names
Then menu to add New APN

This worked fine for me and others.

Edit: now I need to retract that! I see my APN settings have disappeared as well. They were there recently but have now gone.

Last edited:
OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
Yes I tried it that way initially but they all kept dissapearing and i've never been able to get online

leobg

Reaction score
How did you unlock your phone? What is the Operator you are connectiong to?
When you start adding APN near the bottom there are two numbers - MCC and MNC. What are the default values set there (not ones you eventually put, the ones automatically appear)?

OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
The phone was already unlocked when I purchased it.

I am trying to connect to Vodafone Australia.

When I go to input the information into fields they are all blank.

The build is VZW (Verizon Wireless)

leobg

Reaction score
Find out what are MNC and MCC for your provider. APN will not stay if those two numbers are not matching the SIM (the provider).
Usually when you start adding new APN MCC and MNC are pre-filled (read from SIM card), at least that happens for my Rogers Canada SIM (haven't tried others).

OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
The MCC is 505
the MNC is 03

they still don't work

Vodafone

Name: Vodafone Internet
APN: live.vodafone.com
Proxy: 010.202.002.060
Port: 8080
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://pxt.vodafone.net.au/pxtsend
MMS Proxy: 010.202.002.060
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 505
MNC: 03
APN Type: LEAVE THIS EMPTY

EOK1335

Reaction score
i used to have the same problem with apn disappearing. what i did is reset all the apn settings, reboot the phone and add my apn again then it works just fine. im in canada. hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

leobg

Reaction score
make sure phone is locked to GSM/UMTS mode and rebooted this way. On several ocasions I had the issue phone thinking I am in MCC 310 (USA) instead MCC 302 (Canada) - this happened when switching between CDMA/GLOBAL mode and GSM/UMTS. Sure enough all my Canada APN's were gone every time when this happened. Upon reboot radio boots normally and MCC 302 APN's show up. Another thing - some SIM cards expect MNC to be a 3 digit code (add trailing zero). But not all. Usually older ones are 2 digit. To be sure - put the card in another android phone and check how does it read it. Make sure you set it same way on the D2G.
I would recommend you to do factory reset, even flash SBF if problem stays. Flashing SBF won't relock the network, so don't be concerned about that if you need to go this way

Edit: to assist network information retreival - install "Network Info II" from market - it will show you MCC/MNC and everything else - very useful app

Last edited:
OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
i used to have the same problem with apn disappearing. what i did is reset all the apn settings, reboot the phone and add my apn again then it works just fine. im in canada. hope this helps.

Tried this and it didn't work for me.

might have to go with the factory reset option

OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score

Tried this and it didn't work for me.

might have to go with the factory reset option

OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
ok, just did a factory reset and it still didnt work!

leobg

Reaction score
It might be the sim card you are using. I noticed my D2G is very picky about the sim cards I try on it. General observation is older sims are not taken very well. For example my number cannot be read properly from a 6 year old sim I have. Another sim, from the same carrir, but about 1 year old picks everything fine. I also noticed the older sim picks the MNC with 2 digits (72) while the newer one picks 3 digit code (720) that's Rogers Canada.
If possible - try to replace your sim with fresh one which your operator is currently disrtibuting.

OP
P

pgoughy

Reaction score
hmmm, ill try that. but i have an app that shows the MCC and MCC details of the sim and they look correct