APN will not save!

leobg

Reaction score
TurboSIM fakes MNC and MCC to 010 001. APN's that phone will see when TurboSIM is in will be only the ones "001010". Depend on the TurboSIM firmware, phone may not see any (my older 2009 TurboSIM can not read them - they disappear, but my newer 2011 TurboSIM can show them).
Here is the entry I made when I tested with Rogers Canada:
Code:
<apn name="test" numeric="001010" mcc="001" mnc="010" apn="vpn.com" user="" server="" password="" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="" type="" />
It worked for 3G data fine. However I noticed nasty side effect from the TurboSIM - phone does not always ring when being called (calling out works fine all the time), it might be me only, let us know how yours does once you get your turbosim.
My phone is unlocked, but for the testing purposes I was truing with TurboSIM in.

Lock

Reaction score
That's interesting, sounds like the Turbosim may actually help. I spent an hour on the phone with Vodafone AU Business, getting them to send config files etc. Nothing came of it but I noticed that the APNs they send have all the data but no MNC/MCC values. For a test i modified apns-conf.xml and blanked out the MNC/MCC, restarted, but they didn't show up. Don't know what that means, I'll keep playing but guess I just have to wait for the TurboSIM to arrive, set the conf MNC/MCCs to 001010 as you said and see what that does.

Lock

Reaction score
I've found the cause. Using a program called MCC/MNC Checker I get the following results with Virgin AU (data works):
getSimOperator()
getNetworkOperator()
mccXXX-mncYYY overlay
Default value: MCC/MNC overlay not working

But Vodafone AU (no data working) displays this:
getSimOperator()

getNetworkOperator()
mccXXX-mncYYY overlay
Default value: MCC/MNC overlay not working

Seems the SIM card isn't able to communicate its MCC/MNC settings to the phone for some reason. Phones need both numbers, one for what SIM they have, and one for where the phone is in the world. I guess if I can spoof some numbers in there hopefully with the TurboSIM that should fix it. Anyone know if the getSimOperator() value can be manually written in?

leobg

Reaction score
You tried with new(est) model of the Vodafone AU sim cards - have you? If not - I highly recommend you to do so.

I noticed phone doesn't like very much old sim's.

I've got vast improvement of connection stability with my operator (Rogers Wireless Canada), since I changed to latest and newest sim they carry(microsim)

Lock

Reaction score
Yup - fixed! Went down to the store and got them to swap me an iPhone microSIM, wedged it in and data worked straight away. The SIM I had was only 3 months old - but I guess for this phone that was too old.
Thanks for your help getting this working leobg. Coupled with the locked bootloader I was seriously considering selling - but asides from the alt numerics, this is the best slider keyboard I've used since the HTC Dream/G1 so I really didn't want to give it up. ADWLauncher makes up for no CM for the moment anyways.

leobg

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you too Lock! Like when I see trends!!

Don't just hurry up to sell it. Especially if you like the smell of fresh gingerbread ;)

Soulcarber

Reaction score
Apn cannot save

I am experiencing the same problems, I am in the Caribbean, St Lucia to be exact, i put all the settings but whenevr i change the MNC OR MCC the apn just won't save, if left as verizon has it it saves but is useless.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
On an unlocked A956 the MCC and MNC values are taken from the SIM card and should work as is.

Kiobah

Reaction score
TurboSIM fakes MNC and MCC to 010 001. APN's that phone will see when TurboSIM is in will be only the ones "001010". Depend on the TurboSIM firmware, phone may not see any (my older 2009 TurboSIM can not read them - they disappear, but my newer 2011 TurboSIM can show them).

Hi leobg, where I can find a 2011 TurboSIM, I bought one from china, but looks this older version cause I cant get the data working.

Thanks

leobg

Reaction score
Hi leobg, where I can find a 2011 TurboSIM, I bought one from china, but looks this older version cause I cant get the data working.

Thanks

I got mine from eBay. The problem is turbo sim is too unreliable, incoming calls especially are hit and miss. If you can't get the phone properly unlocked better get rid of that phone and buy unlocked one. They aren't as expensive as they used to be.

mindme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
My GF was having a time trying to get the APN to save on her OnePlus One phone. She eventually realized she had the SIM card plugged in the wrong way. She popped it out, flipped it over, and bingo.