Android vs Apple - Why Did You Pick Android?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, with all the new tech announced and released the last couple of weeks, it gave me an idea to do something a bit different and rather than just covering the devices, actually getting YOUR input on why you guys like Android over iPhone and vice-versa after actually be asked and not random arguments in YouTube comments. Be sure to leave a comment with your reasoning behind what you pick whilst keeping yourself from being completely biased if you can.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I chose Android because I was excited to become part of something that was new and would grow quickly. This was back in 09 when the OG Droid dropped.

Also I couldn't stand what Apple stood for and continues to stand for. Not to mention how everything was/is proprietary.

I remember having an old Windows phone (HTC Tilt on AT&T) and I flashed Android 2.1 on it. From then I wanted an Android phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I didn't know much at all about smart phones in 2010, and didn't want one. When the OG Droid went on sale for 2 for $100 my wife convinced me to get them for us. Two reasons we picked Android back then: 1). The slide out keyboard and 2) The commercials for the original Droid were so cool! Glad I picked Android and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because Android was the closest thing to Windows XP that I was used to in its intuitiveness. I needed portable, totally portable, with a 2 year old in tow and Apple didn't fill that need.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I chose Android because of the Droid 1. The slide out keyboard was what I needed to do school work while mobile. Stuck with it ever since...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually started out with the iPhone 3gs and early on apple had the apps, features, and the accessories, but android with the droid 1 felt like it was on to something. I do not think we finally achieved an android device that was on par or out performed the iPhone until the note 2. But the devices before then had that it factor of allowing users to be different add to that the dev community which was instrumental in helping android get where it is today. The very thing that was the negative of android (fragmentation) is what helped it today. Where apple is putting out one phone and tablet a year android manufacturers are having to compete on multiple fronts from phones, tablets, low end devices, and phablets.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I started out with the Incredible after making the switch from BlackBerry. I don't remember why I went Android, but I have never considered anything else. I stay with it because of the flexibility of choosing my manufacturer, removable battery/expandable memory on most phones, larger screens, and more customization options. Apple makes a great product, but they are so strict that I really want nothing to do with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I've never been a fan of Apple...too much polish and shine, not enough functionality. Overpriced marketing hype. At least in my eyes anyway.

Android...I was always interested in the whole concept from when it was announced back in, what, 2007? When it finally came to Verizon I was quite excited. Always have been more of a backer for Google and all they're doing.

Can't wait for Android Auto to come to light. Really wish it would hit the aftermarket.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
BlackBerry user for years ...loved the look of the Droid X and was my first Android experience....I love the different choices we have with Android ...variety...and modding...haha

M8 tap'd

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Android, because that's what Verizon was able to offer with the original Droid (Tried Blackberry and returned it). AT&T/Cingular had horrific service in Cleveland at the time. So Verizon network at the time made the decision, however, now it seems AT&T may have surpassed Verizon in Cleveland, OH.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After the success of the OG Droid, I ended up paying $300 for a Droid 2 on release day, only to find that it wasn't nearly as customizable as the OG Droid. That said, I got addicted to flashing ROM's. You can flash a new ROM and it's like you've purchased a new phone. Sometimes, it's night and day.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Android, because that's what Verizon was able to offer with the original Droid (Tried Blackberry and returned it). AT&T/Cingular had horrific service in Cleveland at the time. So Verizon network at the time made the decision, however, now it seems AT&T may have surpassed Verizon in Cleveland, OH.

OH, it has! I started out on VZ, with the original Droid but moved to AT&T when they started jerking us around about the Thunderbolt. I was surprised to find the excellent quality of AT&T's signal on The North Coast plus AT&T seems to have more of the cooler new phones. :)

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...