Alright techies, I've got a challenge for you...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Also posted this on the XDA forums because I'm genuinely interested in finding a solution, not just for myself but for future owners as well. I think this is a pretty fair, albeit challenging, question...

So I've been suffering from the infamous Bionic connectivity issues as of late. I've called in for a few replacements and it looks like tomorrow will be my last one. So here's the conundrum...

My original Bionic was forever rooted way back when. Sure enough, with the most recent Bionic software update, .902, my USB just stopped working on this device. Works fine on the replacements, but with this one it just says "USB Device Not Recognized." Obviously I need to unroot this phone so I can send it back in.

Did some troubleshooting with a member from DF, we were able to remove root without having to plug it into the computer by deleting some files from the /bin and /xbin system folders. This was verified with root checker. HOWEVER, we are unable to remove the Superuser app. We tried a few things, like booting it into different modes and trying to uninstall, with absolutely no success. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the newest Moto drivers several times.

So my question is this...how can I remove an app like that without having to plug my computer into the PC? Please help me!!! I really don't want to take the risk of sending this in and being charged $500!

drakenhoffen

Reaction score
First question is have you tried to factory default?

If not can you find the stock image that can be flashed though the stock recover and dl that and with file manager move where it needs to go and flash it?

Also posted this on the XDA forums because I'm genuinely interested in finding a solution, not just for myself but for future owners as well. I think this is a pretty fair, albeit challenging, question...

So I've been suffering from the infamous Bionic connectivity issues as of late. I've called in for a few replacements and it looks like tomorrow will be my last one. So here's the conundrum...

My original Bionic was forever rooted way back when. Sure enough, with the most recent Bionic software update, .902, my USB just stopped working on this device. Works fine on the replacements, but with this one it just says "USB Device Not Recognized." Obviously I need to unroot this phone so I can send it back in.

Did some troubleshooting with a member from DF, we were able to remove root without having to plug it into the computer by deleting some files from the /bin and /xbin system folders. This was verified with root checker. HOWEVER, we are unable to remove the Superuser app. We tried a few things, like booting it into different modes and trying to uninstall, with absolutely no success. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the newest Moto drivers several times.

So my question is this...how can I remove an app like that without having to plug my computer into the PC? Please help me!!! I really don't want to take the risk of sending this in and being charged $500!

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I should also mention my smartphone vocabulary is fairly limited, so feel free to speak to me as if I'm a child.

But if by factory default you meant a factory reset, then I have done this several times. From the settings menu as well as the boot menu.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should be able to go into recovery and wipe data and cache and factory data reset. Make sure to wipe everything!!! This will usually help
Or stock recovery, then wipe it then apply update. All else fails, there are many ways to do this. I haven't ever had this issue but I've heard it a many times. Just try the simple wipe and reset first. Then try the apply update.zip just make sure you are not running a custom ROM. Or you'll only be running in circles. Let me know your progress and I will go to the next step if needed...unless someone else helps you first...lol Peace!

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

jhom

Reaction score
This may sound silly, but can't you go to the Market and search for Superuser and when your phone indicates that it is installed, you just uninstall it? I haven't tried uninstalling it but when I went to the Market on my phone, it has a button to uninstall it. Or, goto settings>applications>superuser>uninstall.

Last edited:

bjjud

Reaction score
Worst case scenario: run over it with your car, $100 insurance

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted and unlocked my girl's Inc2 awhile ago. Her USB port stopped working also. It was on the stock ROM and I was trying frantically to un-root and re-lock it. After 3 days, I just decided to give it up. I sent it back to Verizon under the warranty and just hoped they wouldn't care/notice it was rooted. 2 months later, haven't heard a thing from them. No charge or anything.

If you don't want to take that risk, you can just do an insurance claim on it like the previous poster said (assuming you have insurance). Insurance doesn't care abour rooting or romming or anything. You can send back a complete brick and be covered.

bjjud

Reaction score
Another thought, (maybe the USB port is physically damaged? ) is there a zip that can be plunked onto the exterior sd card that can default it? pull the card, use PC to plunk file on it, install update from sd card??

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
You should be able to go into recovery and wipe data and cache and factory data reset. Make sure to wipe everything!!! This will usually help
Or stock recovery, then wipe it then apply update. All else fails, there are many ways to do this. I haven't ever had this issue but I've heard it a many times. Just try the simple wipe and reset first. Then try the apply update.zip just make sure you are not running a custom ROM. Or you'll only be running in circles. Let me know your progress and I will go to the next step if needed...unless someone else helps you first...lol Peace!

This sounds like it might work, but I have no idea how to actually do it. I understand what you're saying but yeah...I wouldn't know where to start.

Considering the other problems I'm having, I actually like bj's idea the most (the one about running it over)...sadly, I'd rather try and avoid spending $100. I've also read plenty of stories like your syndicate, and can't find one about actually being charged that isn't from 2 years ago. So frustrating. I loved this phone dearly and it tore my heart from my soul... /wrist

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
This whole discussion is moot because it's not necessary to unroot before returning your bionic. The USB port failing is cause for getting a new device, so just return it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Rooting voids the warranty though, even if it's a manufacturer issue. It's BS, but true. If they wanted they'd have no trouble turning it around and saying it was the rooting that caused the USB to fail...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
This sounds like it might work, but I have no idea how to actually do it. I understand what you're saying but yeah...I wouldn't know where to start.

Considering the other problems I'm having, I actually like bj's idea the most (the one about running it over)...sadly, I'd rather try and avoid spending $100. I've also read plenty of stories like your syndicate, and can't find one about actually being charged that isn't from 2 years ago. So frustrating. I loved this phone dearly and it tore my heart from my soul... /wrist

Go into stock recovery...you should see this option.. apply update ..you may want to check your device on your forum or a direct site on this but its as simple as a reset..I would just go for it. If its running stock your good. If it fails you'll just have a reset phone or rebooted..lol Anyway try this and let me know the outcome..k?

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Nope, no luck.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hahahaha... can't get rid of Superuser ??...lol

running an update.zip to delete the apk from system/app might work...but then you'd need busybox, bionic bootstrap or terminal more thahn likely...

Maybe reinstall those, delete Superuser from CWM or possibly terminal...then delete Busybox, bionic bootstrap, and/or terminal ...worth a shot...

run_program("/sbin/busybox","mount","/system");
delete("/system/app/Superuser.apk");
unmount("/system");

worth a shot??...:D

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, no luck.

I know there is a YouTube video that will walk you through the steps...Look on unroot DROID bionic. You'll find the Razr and bionic are quite similar so I'm not sure which one it was but pretty sure it was the bionic so it may be much easier to see it as well as get the files you need. And as for the post stating not to worry about the device being rooted since its a hardware issue? I can't tell you you'll be popped by the tech but nor can I guarantee that they won't take notice or action so before you take it back, its ( in my opinion) to your best interest to unroot regardless if the issue is under warranty or not. But that's me....