All opinions welcomed

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I hate shopping in general, but do enjoy browsing phones in a Verizon store. But I always tell them to leave me alone, I know enough about phones to shop on my own and will ask for a rep if & when I am ready.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
What manufacturer has the least/most bloatware . My S3 was loaded with crAPP from Samsung AND Verizon I didn't use nor even want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've grown to stay away from the BigV store, overpriced stuff/accessories. BestBuy and Costco have a great selection and as Sajo said, we know enough to look and gleen info when required.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What manufacturer has the least/most bloatware . My S3 was loaded with crAPP from Samsung AND Verizon I didn't use nor even want.

You'll hate this answer, but Apple.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

There was a news article on here last year that listed the number by phone model and carrier; can't find it now. But, they were all pretty close. The good news is that you can Disable almost all of it if you never use it. I'm not sure if this is specific to the Turbo 2 or all new Verizon phones, but I was happy to find that I could actually Uninstall some of the bloat apps on it! Awesome! Some didn't have the Uninstall option & some did, so I uninstalled the ones that I could and Disabled the rest. Now I never see them again.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Speaking of disabling apps we cannot delete, Verizon/Samsung has the Voice Mail app, it killed me on the S5 and now on the S6, I've tried to delete/disable etc and nothing is available...
Any work arounds?

CNET has a video on the Bloat BTW from Phones to Service Providers etc.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I know if you uninstall an app it is no longer on your phone and does not use any memory. What about when you disable them. Are we basically "hiding" the app? Does disabling the app aid in the performance of the phone at all?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I know if you uninstall an app it is no longer on your phone and does not use any memory. What about when you disable them. Are we basically "hiding" the app? Does disabling the app aid in the performance of the phone at all?

Disabling the app just prevents it from running. Still uses available storage space on the phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
^^^ +1. All of the apps I have Disabled don't take up much space though, maybe 100MB....on a 32 GB phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So, it saves RAM possibly?

Saves RAM, because it's not running, but the app still takes memory/storage on the device.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, it saves RAM possibly?

Yes and no. Android, as an os, intentionally fills ram with most used apps so they start up quicker. By disabling bloatware they won't show up in ram but something else will take its place. The good news is ,unlike Windows , if you need more ram Android will remove other stuff from the ram as needed. As an example of you are doing a ram intensive application you may notice next time you go to a popular (for you) app that is no longer at the same point it was last time you used it , maybe going back to its starting point the way Tapatalk (the app I'm using to write this post) does when Android closes it out ram.
As far as phones, forget about screen size until you hold them in your hand. Ergonomics and bezel sizes have changed dramatically in the last 2 years so you can get a Note sized screen that doesn't feel in hand like a minutiae tablet anymore. My Note4 has a bigger screen than my Note2 but feels MUCH better in hand.
As far as cameras go they're all better than what you've got now but the S7 is winning review after review with the newest Nexus coming in a usually close second

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Yes and no. Android, as an os, intentionally fills ram with most used apps so they start up quicker. By disabling bloatware they won't show up in ram but something else will take its place. The good news is ,unlike Windows , if you need more ram Android will remove other stuff from the ram as needed. As an example of you are doing a ram intensive application you may notice next time you go to a popular (for you) app that is no longer at the same point it was last time you used it , maybe going back to its starting point the way Tapatalk (the app I'm using to write this post) does when Android closes it out ram.
As far as phones, forget about screen size until you hold them in your hand. Ergonomics and bezel sizes have changed dramatically in the last 2 years so you can get a Note sized screen that doesn't feel in hand like a minutiae tablet anymore. My Note4 has a bigger screen than my Note2 but feels MUCH better in hand.
As far as cameras go they're all better than what you've got now but the S7 is winning review after review with the newest Nexus coming in a usually close second

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Good advice.

I forgot all about the Nexus phones. Been researching the HTC-One-M9 and LG-G5.

I've had a blackberry, Samsung and 2 Motorolas, think I'm going to try something different with my next phone. Unless the S7 is just that BA of a phone.