All opinions welcomed

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Well it's that time again, new phone shopping time. I use to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest devices. But once I purchased my Droid Maxx (my current device) I slacked off as there was no need to over load my brain with outdated information, nor upset my girlfriend, at that time, by staying glued to my phone reading every forum, and watching countless YouTube videos about different devices. Unfortunately, that need is back. I like my Maxx alot but I believe it's time to push on.

Here is what I'm looking for in a device.
Good phone radio (I drive trucks and hit some uncharted territory at times)
good WiFi radio (I'll be moving from a GF unlimited plan to a metered plan)
screen size the same as or close to the Droid Maxx,
32gb standard or able to expand memory storage,
good camera (the Maxx camera sucks imo)
Those are my major wants, I believe beyond that all phones are the same. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

aarong03

Reaction score
I used to have the Droid maxx. Loved it, could get about 50 hrs on a single charge. I was very cautious about going to another phone. I kept looking at the S7 line and watching the reviews. I have had the Galaxy S7 for a little over a week now and couldn't be happier. I do notice the difference in battery life, but not enough to say I regret going to the S7. I mean I place it on charger at night for a couple hrs. The camera is awesome. I get good reception everywhere and WiFi seems to be very good also. And I just got my 64GB scan disk installed in it. The fact of being able to add memory was a big plus for me. So expandable space option, is nice to have. The screen size is about .100" larger, but the quality of the on the S7 screen is unbelievable. Coming from a Droid Maxx it's like night and day.

I hope this helps, like I said, I've always been a Motorola guy until now.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have said dozens of times that the best thing is to go to a Verizon store (I assume you have Verizon if you have a Maxx) and check out all of the current flagship devices. I think they are all good in their own way and appeal to each user differently. You will get a ton of recommendations for anything Samsung on this forum, and nothing wrong with that. They do make great phones. But Moto, LG, HTC and Sony make some really nice phones also. Which one feels right when you hold it, looks the way you want it to and has a GUI that you like. I think the Turbo 2 is just as good (or better than any other current phone model), but that's just my opinion. It would be too large if you want to stick with the Droid Maxx size. I think the new Droid Maxx 2 is similar in size to the original Droid Maxx, but doesn't have a shatter proof screen. There are a lot of good choices out there, hopefully you can find one that's right for you. That's what matters. Good luck & happy shopping.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sajo left out the Apple i6S plus, big screen, all the other stuff too, he's sorry he forgot that one, otherwise great advice.

Sent from an iGalaxy Tab S2

wcjeep

Reaction score
Why give up your Unlimited? The new device payment plans allow you to keep your Unlimited Data! Go used at Swappa if necessary to keep the Unlimited Data. Great deal on used phone consider the Galaxy S5. I have the S7. The Camera is really good. If it wasn't for the camera I would have stayed with the S5. The Moto X's are great too.

Keep your Unlimited Data. My old S3 Radios were a little weak when compared to Motorola or newer Samsung. The S5 Radios were equal to Motorola. I have found many Iphone Radios weak compared to Motorola. I have not tested the Iphone 6's. I have no experience with LG. My problem with some LG's is the button locations on the back. This makes it difficult to fit into my cellphone booster. I have various cellphone boosters from Wilson Electronics (now Weboost). The Sleek Booster averages 18db signal improvement. The booster would greatly reduce your cell deadzones when driving. I have had cell service and data when everyone around me has zero signal. I have boosters in my towrig and my Jeep. Can't help with Wifi antennas. I have Verizon Unlimited Data.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why are we talking about unlimited data? If he wants to change plans, that's his choice. I gave it up last year and cut my bill in half. Well worth it for me. It may not be the best option for everyone, and life is all about choices. For me, cut my bill in half....too easy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Really can't go wrong with any of the current flagships out, it'll be night and day for you coming from a Maxx.

I went from an s4 to a Note 5 and it was night and day. Alot of similarities, but also alot of improvements from the s4 to the Note 5, hardware and software wise.

Honestly, pretty much every flagship has all the things you're looking for. It's just a matter of deciding in store.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Why give up your Unlimited? The new device payment plans allow you to keep your Unlimited Data! Go used at Swappa if necessary to keep the Unlimited Data. Great deal on used phone consider the Galaxy S5. I have the S7.

1. It's not my account 2. Trying to lower monthly bills

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
How do the cameras compare? Motorola has always lacked in that area. Are the Motorolas camera as good as their competition now?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Are you stuck on getting a phone with removable SDCard? I'm enjoying my Nexus 6P.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
How do the cameras compare? Motorola has always lacked in that area. Are the Motorolas camera as good as their competition now?

I don't have an eye for photography, so for me and the pics I take all of my Moto phones had a good camera. My wife is a semi-pro photographer and definitely has an eye for pics. She thought the camera on my Droid Maxx was "OK", then thought the Droid Turbo camera was "better, but still just OK". We both have a Turbo 2 and she thinks the camera is awesome. It doesn't have all of the bells & whistle settings as some other phones, but she thinks it takes great pics. If you were asking about the Droid Maxx 2, then I'm not sure about it's camera. I don't want to sway you away from Moto, but if you are really looking to not go much bigger than the Droid Maxx, the Turbo 2 may not be the right phone for you. That's the reason I didn't mention the new Nexus earlier, it will also be quite a bit larger than you want.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Are you stuck on getting a phone with removable SDCard? I'm enjoying my Nexus 6P.

Not necessarily, my Maxx is not expandable and I've managed for 2yrs or so.

Great info on the camera thanks.

As far as the size, I "say" I want to stay close to the Maxx size, but as was mentioned above I need hands on. I do know, I don't want anything similar to the Samsung Note line.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...As far as the size, I "say" I want to stay close to the Maxx size, but as was mentioned above I need hands on. I do know, I don't want anything similar to the Samsung Note line.

Again, I hate to steer anyone away from a Moto phone, but the Turbo 2 and Maxx 2 may not be what you are looking for, both are close to the Note 5 size. Turbo 2 = 5.9" X 3" & 5.4" screen. Maxx 2 = 5.8" X 2.9" & 5.5" screen. Note 5 = 6" X 3" & 5.7" screen. The Galaxy S7, LG G5 and HTC One M9 are close to the Droid Maxx size, but still a little bigger.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Again, I hate to steer anyone away from a Moto phone, but the Turbo 2 and Maxx 2 may not be what you are looking for, both are close to the Note 5 size. Turbo 2 = 5.9" X 3" & 5.4" screen. Maxx 2 = 5.8" X 2.9" & 5.5" screen. Note 5 = 6" X 3" & 5.7" screen. The Galaxy S7, LG G5 and HTC One M9 are close to the Droid Maxx size, but still a little bigger.

You are not steering me any where lol! You are doing just what this thread was made for, gain info from ppl who have used various devices.

I hate shopping! You guys are helping me narrow down my options. So when I do go to try out phones, I can try 3 or 4 vs 7 or 8.