Is the Nexus really all that?

huskur

Reaction score
When deciding on a phone you need to decide on your needs and what you want to do.

Everyone (that owns the Nexus) will come out and say "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the invention of the wheel" Well its true and not true depending on your view. Because it doesn't have a locked bootloader and has ICS, it suddenly is the Best phone? No.

If you like Moto then get the Maxx or the Bionic. Both will get ICS.....there is a reason they don't have it. The Nexus does have hiccups as others has stated. Minor but still has them. Motos outlook is to have as few as possible when it's released which is very understandable.

Based on specs......its a give and take.

Based on being a developers phone------blah blah blah. Only 1% of Android users customize. I used to be one of them. Until I decided running custom roms with bugs (ie. camera issues, notification lights screwy or don't work, ect....) I got out of that. So really its all in what you want.

I have not rooted yet (which i have rooted all phones) for mostly tether purposes. I now use Foxfi from the market for that. If foxfi is taken away I will root my phone and make necessary adjustments.

Myself, I am a Moto fan. Primarily because the radios are stellar and the 3G/4G transitioning is quite smooth and to this date I have had zero issues. Nexus does have issues with clarity and dropping calls but it is what it is. Locked bootloader or not there are ways around it.

I am not taking anything from the Nexus, it is a very nice device.....Like i said, its just personal preference and need. I have ICS on my Transformer and I can definately wait for it to come to my Maxx. It's not really "that much cooler"

Think it through.....I looked at the Nexus hard before I bought my Maxx. Being faithful to moto I went with the Maxx purely on personal needs. (the battery is very nice since i am not at a power source all the time, I travel alot, and not by car and push this phone to the Maxx (pardon the pun) and it has not failed)

BUT......
What I am really looking forward to is the Moto Droid Fighter!

huskur

Reaction score
To sum it all up.....

If you tinker a little...either phone would be sufficient.

If you want to tinker alot...... Nexus is for you.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I've had a Gnex since they came out. I chose the Gnex mainly due to ICS and the ridiculous development community that goes with it. The Razr, just didn't feel right in my hand and the non removable battery was a dealbreaker... however, the Maxx solves that problem with it's huge battery.

The only thing I do NOT love about the Gnex is the radio. I am in a non 4G area, with decent 3G coverage. The radio is nowhere near the quality of the Moto's. My OG Droid never dropped 3G, while my Gnex experiences data drops on a regular basis. I have gone through 3 phones and have just learned to accept it as the way it is. It's not a deal breaker, as I am almost always within wi-fi range and am willing to put up with the occasional data drop for all of the Gnex goodness.

If I am in a strong 4G area, then data isn't an issue.

If your not a crack flasher or could care less about the dev scene, AND if you live in fringe 4G/3G area, then I'd probably go with the Razr due to the radio. But if you want an insane development scene and a treasure chest full of Custom ROMs and lots of ICS goodness, then the Gnex is the only way to go.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
I can say no as i came from Google nexus s and specs wise now is behind the galaxy nexus 3rd gen. Something, I dont like about google is they can screw you over with update after year the phone is out. And, take as long as they want to update your phone from next fruit or desert updates.

Nexus one took 4 months to update from android 2.2 os to 2.3 os after the announcement from updating them.

Same with Nexus S with Android 4.0.x they updated, some of the nexus s users gsm version and stop the update after ppl complaining on the battery problem a few days later in december 2011.

Now their going to continue the update that should of being done 5 months ago in April and late April for sprint owner.

Based on that reputation, I wouldnt be surprise if Verizon goes on the same fate Galaxy Nexus in Winter 2011 with Android 5.0 jelly bean or something.

I love the Nexus, but I dislike Google decision in how they do business.

FYI! Google need to tell Samsung to add Led Notification i hate not having Led color popping up.

Motorola and others have spoiled us with that.

Samsung radio on 4g or 3g sucks it lose signal very fast and i think Motorola have better reception.

ozo012

Reaction score
So I got a Droid Razr Maxx with my upgrade and it's pretty awesome. Kinda. It works really well and the battery is stellar. I upgraded from an OG Droid and the Razr just doesn't feel the same as the OG. Almost like I don't even have Droid anymore. Motorola really sold out. Anyway, it sounds like the Nexus kinda has the experience I'm looking for. I'm not extremely familiar with rooting and modding but I'm willing to give it a shot...I wanted to do it with my Razr but the options are very limited and it seems like a much more difficult process. I'm still within the time frame to exchange for the Nexus and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it but literally the ONLY thing I'm apprehensive about is the battery life. I think the Maxx spoiled me. I want the Nexus so I can stay up to date on the Android OS and to have freedom with my device. I'm not necessarily looking for battery life like the Maxx but to make it through the day without charging all the time or swapping batteries would be acceptable. Thoughts? Advice?
Out of curiosity what did you think of the Rezound? It has a great dev community - if you like Sense, but there's some Senseless options as well for custom ROMS like Scott's Dev ROM (Senseless but not necessarily 100% AOSP). IMO the Rezound is an extremely underrated phone, and didn't get the press it deserves like the HTC Incredible (and Tbolt before it). They really should have focused advertising on the screen it's simply amazing. Beats Audio ads were pretty lame.

turdbogls

Reaction score
OP, i know the Maxx spoiled you in terms of battery life....but if you lived with the OG droid for this long, the Nexus had better battery life than the OG droid IMO.

FWIW, after rooting and ROM'ing, i got a solid 14 hours with 2 hrs creen on time, with some heavy data usage over 4g the entire time, and that is with the stock battery.

and even stock, this phone is fantastic. and it will get even better with updates (especially reception wise)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus will be the quickest to get updates as well .. ICS is a plus ..it depends on what you want? if you want to go over a day on a battery without charging and dont care to rom it every other day the razr maxx would be for you.

if you like to tinker custom rom and have a HUGE dev following choose the nexus .

with either phone you win as long as you are happy with the choice .. in the end its the user ..

B

bens42608

U already have the best device currently available IMO. Unless u r addicted to flashing different roms(which I don't understand anymore since these new devices do not need to be hacked to run amazing.. ppl just have fun trying out a new look and feel. I just care about performance and reliability which is perfect as is. Unlike my D1 in which case rooting, trying new roms, overclocking, manipulating the way it handled RAM, were necessary), there's nothing better about the nexus. The nexus is sweet... but the Maxx is Badass. Flashing roms is not particularly useful at the moment... and if if u really wanted to, u could flash ICS, etc on ur maxx. There's my two pennies.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
@ben He is right the only reason I hack my Motorola droid was for speed and to make sd card as internal storage in cm 7.

Beside that any phone with 512 mb of ram or more doesnt need to be hack to have good performance.
As they have 2,4,8 gb of internal storage phone now since late 2010 without counting the sd card storage.
It should be enough for most users and speed forget about it 1 ghz on single core was fast enough, but dual core is great for people with the money to spend it if needed.

85% of apps if not more doesnt need dual core to be able to process correctly. Unless you download over 200 apps in your phone. Most apps runs fine with 600 to 800 mhz.

But if you into speed and stock UI Get galaxy nexus if your into battery stay with your maxx.

If you want stock UI pay your friends or someone that know how to hack phones. To get you stock UI if that what your envy.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My first Android phone was the Droid 1 and I agree custom ROMs, kernels was necessary then. At this point in time with the hardware getting better, Android getting better...I honestly dont have a need to do it or want to do it anymore. Its more of a want now than a need like in 2009, 2010. I havent run any custom ROMs since I got the Droid X1 and the GB update. I actually stopped when Froyo came out on the Droid 1.

I have a RAZR and Rezound and both have stock software. I havent even rooted my Rezound yet... had it since 1-14. I had the G Nex for 2 weeks and I never put a custom ROM on it. Only rooted it to try something. Android and the hardware keeps getting better n better. It did and does turn some of us into folks that are satisfied with our phones as is.

huskur

Reaction score
My first Android phone was the Droid 1 and I agree custom ROMs, kernels was necessary then. At this point in time with the hardware getting better, Android getting better...I honestly dont have a need to do it or want to do it anymore. Its more of a want now than a need like in 2009, 2010. I havent run any custom ROMs since I got the Droid X1 and the GB update. I actually stopped when Froyo came out on the Droid 1.

I have a RAZR and Rezound and both have stock software. I havent even rooted my Rezound yet... had it since 1-14. I had the G Nex for 2 weeks and I never put a custom ROM on it. Only rooted it to try something. Android and the hardware keeps getting better n better. It did and does turn some of us into folks that are satisfied with our phones as is.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have the same exact feeling. D1 needed it really. Nowadays, its just a "fun thing"

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The only reason I hack a phone is to remove verizon and some samsung or motorola apps. Beside that their no need too. Most of the new apps are coming out on android 2.2 os or 2.3 os.

Unless u count fragment from google with their google chrome that made android 4.0 os as requirement