Advanced Task Killer app

blaqlak

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I just moved up to the Droid 2 on Verizon from a BB Tour on US Cell. Wasn't sure I was going to make the switch so I didn't port over my number untill today. (2 days later :))

Here's my issue: When I got the phone from Verizon, the kind young lady set me up with the "Task Killer" app. It worked great. All I had to do was short press it and poof... apps were killed. Well, since my number ported over, the phone rebooted, and I lost all my apps! (Including my password keeper that I spent an hour typing in.. :icon_evil:) Anyway, now, since I have re-installe the "Advanced Task Killer" app, when i short press it a screen pops up and gives me a selection of apps to kill... I'm not liking it. I'd rather it just kill em. I'm not a novice when it comes to phones and computers but, even after adjusting the settings for the app, I can't seem to get it to just "kill" when I short press it! Any advice???

Thanks

randyb69

Reaction score
Yep, probably how she had it set up was a widget on your homescreen. Simply go to the homescreen, find a blank spot and tap n hold. That will bring up the widgets pane, choose advanced task killer and by soft push it will kill everything. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

blaqlak

Reaction score
Yep, probably how she had it set up was a widget on your homescreen. Simply go to the homescreen, find a blank spot and tap n hold. That will bring up the widgets pane, choose advanced task killer and by soft push it will kill everything. Hope this helps.

Right on the money man, thank you!

portermac

Reaction score
the best advise I cangive you is get rid of the task killer.droids don't need them and they can cause problems. I wish verizon would send out a memo to their employees about the task killers.

randyb69

Reaction score
the best advise I cangive you is get rid of the task killer.droids don't need them and they can cause problems. I wish verizon would send out a memo to their employees about the task killers.

I would generally agree, BUT I don't think they are a BAD thing. If you have a program that is not acting properly, OR its frozen or causing issues on your phone, the task killer would be handy.

I think task killers will always be debated, I believe it depends on the owner of the phone. I know android os has its own native mulit tasking, but I have always had one equipped. On the other hand, I would say a task killer should not be set up to "kill all apps" on a timer or when screen is off. What do you think?

portermac

Reaction score
I used task manager for 6 month's and had it set to kill everything when screen would cut on. I thought it was very cool and very helpful. Then i found out they were not needed so after a lot of debating I took it off my phone and haven't looked back. I saw no change in my phone and actually had a lot less force closes. It has been proven that it is not needed and it didnt do anything for improving my droid. If there is an app that needs to be killed by a task killer I would not want it on my phone or you could always close it in settings.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I would generally agree, BUT I don't think they are a BAD thing. If you have a program that is not acting properly, OR its frozen or causing issues on your phone, the task killer would be handy.

Maybe, but using it to stop a normally running app isn't a good thing. Take a look at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html (especially the video) for some interesting information.

Discovery1000

Reaction score
Droid Apps Force Stop but then coming back

There are Droid 2 Apps (that take up memory) such as the Skype Mobile that I have no interest in using but seem to restart even after I 'kill' them and or 'Force Stop' them. How can I 'kill' or 'Force Stop' these Droid 2 Apps permenently that I do not want to run and take up memory? My attempt to unistall them (in attempt to get rid of this nuciance) has met with the same answer everyone gets..... you can't uninstall the Verizon's forced-upon-you apps (I.e. VZ Navigator) from your Droid.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are Droid 2 Apps (that take up memory) such as the Skype Mobile that I have no interest in using but seem to restart even after I 'kill' them and or 'Force Stop' them. How can I 'kill' or 'Force Stop' these Droid 2 Apps permenently that I do not want to run and take up memory? My attempt to unistall them (in attempt to get rid of this nuciance) has met with the same answer everyone gets..... you can't uninstall the Verizon's forced-upon-you apps (I.e. VZ Navigator) from your Droid.

You have to be rooted to remove apps that are preinstalled.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just because an app appears in the ATK menu doesn't necessarily mean its doing anything or using any resources. These are not like Windows, its Linux. The OS already manages tasks on its own.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)