A working swype!

prowler85

Reaction score
Found this a minute ago, and yes it installs and works. If I'm not supposed to post the link, may the fastest mod please remove it. If that's the case, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Apparently, someone (along with an XDA developer) just removed the screen size error and modified the ini to make it work on the Nexus screen size.

Just to add a few tips from below that I should have added in here to begin with:

To install, download and run the apk in astro (or similar) and install as normal (must have unknown sources checked of course).

To set, go to settings > Language & Input, and check the box next to Swype.
To set it as default, select the word "Default" just above and set to Swype.

This does not work in landscape mode very well (due to screen size), so you can download Keyboard Manager from Market, and set some other keyboard (android or otherwise) to work in landscape mode and Swype in portrait.

Have fun Swyping!

Yeah!!

DancingNexus

You're welcome.... (I know I screamed like a girl)

Edit: Link updated to point to latest version. This version now works in landscape mode (ignore above unless you want a different keyboard in landscape mod).

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome! However, can't seem to figure out how to change the input method.. I got to it once before on the nexus, but not now.

Edit got it, but it won't work cause of this.

Snow02

Reaction score
It's in the notification bar when a text box is active.

bigeric828

Reaction score
Awesome! However, can't seem to figure out how to change the input method.. I got to it once before on the nexus, but not now.

settings>language and input> check swype. then go 2 swype setting. click "change input method"

I legit found this link somewhere else 2 mins ago before you posted this after searching for like 25 mins. unreal.B

but i beleive this is considered piracy by then and it will be removed.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah just tried. But I can't in apply the stock keyboard to get it to work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324514835477.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1324514835477.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 434

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
settings>language and input> check swype. then go 2 swype setting. click "change input method"

I legit found this link somewhere else 2 mins ago before you posted this after searching for like 25 mins. unreal.B

but i beleive this is considered piracy by then and it will be removed.

Oh! This was my problem! Doesn't work good in landscape mode though.

alpine

Reaction score
Works!! Thank you!!!! Been going crazy.. Hopefully Swype will come out the correct way..

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
Yes, I should have mentioned that it doesn't work well in landscape. Isn't a problem for me personally, as I never use it in landscape (too big to swype on imo).

The site I saw this on mentioned to use an app called Keyboard Manager, and you can set it to use Android kb (or something else) in landscape mode.

Personally, I just went into settings, language and input, turned on swype, then set it as default (select where it says default and you get a choice).

Yeah, wasn't sure if the link would get pulled, but I can disperse link (or apk) thru PM. That's been my one complaint on Nexus - wasn't happy with pecking on keyboard, and SlideIt just doesn't work nearly as well as Swype. From what I read they should have it working in a month or two, but aarrrgh, that would have been painful. Since it's free anyway, didn't see it as pirating myself, though if a Mod sees it otherwise, I'm cool.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I should have mentioned that it doesn't work well in landscape. Isn't a problem for me personally, as I never use it in landscape (too big to swype on imo).

The site I saw this on mentioned to use an app called Keyboard Manager, and you can set it to use Android kb (or something else) in landscape mode.

Personally, I just went into settings, language and input, turned on swype, then set it as default (select where it says default and you get a choice).

Yeah, wasn't sure if the link would get pulled, but I can disperse link (or apk) thru PM. That's been my one complaint on Nexus - wasn't happy with pecking on keyboard, and SlideIt just doesn't work nearly as well as Swype. From what I read they should have it working in a month or two, but aarrrgh, that would have been painful. Since it's free anyway, didn't see it as pirating myself, though if a Mod sees it otherwise, I'm cool.

The app works perfect! Wish I knew about this even before I had the Nexus! Thanks for the help man. Much appreciated. Swype portrait, and android landscape(I use it when on the web, more convenient. I agree swype sucks in landscape). Perfect combo.

philc21

Reaction score
omg! thank you!!... it has been a brutal 6 days trying to text with a normal keyboard... the stock autocorrect is amazing i have to say but i dont think anything compares to swype.... you made my night!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
for those looking for another swype alternative, touchpal in the market works great, is optimized for ics and is free

Axium

Reaction score
Agreed .. love the stock auto correct but its a pain lol

OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
omg! thank you!!... it has been a brutal 6 days trying to text with a normal keyboard... the stock autocorrect is amazing i have to say but i dont think anything compares to swype.... you made my night!

:)

Like I said, I think I screamed like a little girl when I found it myself. Yes, the autocorrect is amazing, just can never get used to moving my thumbs around, and I have VERY fat thumbs. Just think I was suited for swype, and don't think I'll ever be a pecker. :D

Like I said, you're welcome!