17-Year-Old Hard On Smartphones...

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Okay here is my dilema. Back to the start, I had a BBStorm, yeah remember those? It was a year old when I give it to my daughter because I'd gotten the MotoD1...A little while after that, about 6 months, her Storm was bacon in the doggie dish. Then when I upgraded to my DX a year ago I gave her my D1...it was in excellent condition. She got that back in Feb of 11. By June the buttons were bubbled and falling off. I got a phone call saying the phone was a piece of junk when I knew for a fact that that phone was in prime condition when I gave it to her. My mother made the call to me because my kid was visiting out of state with them. So, I refuse to use one of our 3 upgrades to get her another smartphone. I have a trashy LG Versa on hand just incase we need to bury the D1 in the backyard with the Storm. But I really don't want to burn an upgrade if she can't keep up the phone and stop doing whatever she is doing to them to kill them. It's just like, she gets them and they fry out, we have 4 burned out cords too...charging cords. I won't even let her use mine, I went out and bought her 2 from the swapmeet.

Actually, I've burned my upgrade last year when I got my DX and am not due for another til January, and burned hers because I lost my DX and needed another phone.

Any ideas? WWYD?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I'd get her a basic flip phone until she can handle the responsibility of taking care of a device like a smart phone. Or make her buy a used one on her own that she can activate on her number. Perhaps if she has to buy it herself she'll take better care of it. No offense, but she sounds like a brat. I'm sure she'll moan about it being unfair, but you're her father and you're paying for the service, so in the end, it's your call.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
^ What she said. I married my wife 4 years ago and she has a son who is now 20 and is still that same spoiled brat. You should see how he takes care of his iphone. Mom takes good care of him. :frown:

OP
SmokinHawtVegasChic
Reaction score
I'd get her a basic flip phone until she can handle the responsibility of taking care of a device like a smart phone. Or make her buy a used one on her own that she can activate on her number. Perhaps if she has to buy it herself she'll take better care of it. No offense, but she sounds like a brat. I'm sure she'll moan about it being unfair, but you're her father and you're paying for the service, so in the end, it's your call.

Her mother :) ...lol see siggy. No offense taken, she really isn't a brat...not by me anyway. She's a good student so by bringing home good grades, she gets things, not lots of things. The phones are really the most expensive things I've bought...no wait, the D1s were free. Anyway, she's a junior and doesn't have to work. I was thinking of switching out to the LG Versa for her until she got a job and could by her own Smartphone. I just don't want to waist that kind of money on a new phone for her. I was looking around for a cheap used D1 or Citrus or something bunk like that, that is outdated and not so pricey.

Thanks for your input, it's really appreicated.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
If she can't treat her phones right make her pay. Get her a Motorola Barrage >:). She'll realize the not having a smartphone sucks, and will learn to take better care of her stuff.
Or maybe get her a Casio Gz'one?
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

riddlebox420

Reaction score
I have the first Samsung intensity she can have its very basic some of the keys don't register right away from were my gf dropped it in the river but it still works. maybe that will help teach her to quit being so rough on phones and have her pay for her service

optimus DROID

Laureanne

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Okay here is my dilema. Back to the start, I had a BBStorm, yeah remember those? It was a year old when I give it to my daughter because I'd gotten the MotoD1...A little while after that, about 6 months, her Storm was bacon in the doggie dish. Then when I upgraded to my DX a year ago I gave her my D1...it was in excellent condition. She got that back in Feb of 11. By June the buttons were bubbled and falling off. I got a phone call saying the phone was a piece of junk when I knew for a fact that that phone was in prime condition when I gave it to her. My mother made the call to me because my kid was visiting out of state with them. So, I refuse to use one of our 3 upgrades to get her another smartphone. I have a trashy LG Versa on hand just incase we need to bury the D1 in the backyard with the Storm. But I really don't want to burn an upgrade if she can't keep up the phone and stop doing whatever she is doing to them to kill them. It's just like, she gets them and they fry out, we have 4 burned out cords too...charging cords. I won't even let her use mine, I went out and bought her 2 from the swapmeet.

Actually, I've burned my upgrade last year when I got my DX and am not due for another til January, and burned hers because I lost my DX and needed another phone.

Any ideas? WWYD?

I have an 18 yr old who has destroyed a few of her phones too. 2 weeks ago her 9 month old phone fell into the toilet. I make her take on extra projects/jobs around the house to work off the cost. I will not burn one of my upgrade. I also don't get her a smart phone. Yes, she complains loudly but hey at 17 or 18 they are old enough to get a job and pay for the data plan and phone. I insist that she learn to work for things. Just my humble opinion.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not about to give parenting advice, especially since I'm not one myself and I'm quite young. However, parent or not, it's easy to see that she doesn't seem to take good care of her things. If I were in your shoes and if it was my child, they would definitely have to take on more responsibilities before I trust them with another phone that could put quite a dent in my wallet. Try more chores or something, again, I'm not a parent and don't know where to start or your "parenting style".

What I will say is this. For her next smartphone, should you choose to let her get one again, get an otterbox. Yes they're expensive, but they're cases that can take a beating, something your daughter seems to be good at doing with her phones. It'll keep the phone protected and keep your mind at ease a bit. Also, I don't know exactly how she can keep frying phones, but if she has the wrong charger plugged into it, maybe that could be the reason. Tell her to stick with the charger that came with the phone and you shouldn't have these problems, same for a car charger, get a known company, not some cheap knockoff you find on ebay (I recommend the Moto rapid car charger). Another problem could be moisture, though since you're from Vegas, I don't see that being a problem as it's pretty dry out there. If you wanna get her another phone tell her it'll be the last, she's 17, by the time I was 17 I had enough saved up to replace whatever I broke as long as it wasn't my car.

OP
SmokinHawtVegasChic
Reaction score
I'm not about to give parenting advice, especially since I'm not one myself and I'm quite young. However, parent or not, it's easy to see that she doesn't seem to take good care of her things. If I were in your shoes and if it was my child, they would definitely have to take on more responsibilities before I trust them with another phone that could put quite a dent in my wallet. Try more chores or something, again, I'm not a parent and don't know where to start or your "parenting style".

What I will say is this. For her next smartphone, should you choose to let her get one again, get an otterbox. Yes they're expensive, but they're cases that can take a beating, something your daughter seems to be good at doing with her phones. It'll keep the phone protected and keep your mind at ease a bit. Also, I don't know exactly how she can keep frying phones, but if she has the wrong charger plugged into it, maybe that could be the reason. Tell her to stick with the charger that came with the phone and you shouldn't have these problems, same for a car charger, get a known company, not some cheap knockoff you find on ebay (I recommend the Moto rapid car charger). Another problem could be moisture, though since you're from Vegas, I don't see that being a problem as it's pretty dry out there. If you wanna get her another phone tell her it'll be the last, she's 17, by the time I was 17 I had enough saved up to replace whatever I broke as long as it wasn't my car.

We usually until the last charger, only use the charger that comes with the phone...not really frying phones but the chargers are going out. I would go to VZN to buy the chargers but it gets expensive. Not sure why the chargers are going out. I've had my house rewired after the first one went out, cause the charger to her touchpad (no I didn't buy that it was a gift from her stepmother), went out too. She only charges in her room so I had made especially sure to have those outlets checked and they are fine. LOL about the car.

OP
SmokinHawtVegasChic
Reaction score
I have an 18 yr old who has destroyed a few of her phones too. 2 weeks ago her 9 month old phone fell into the toilet. I make her take on extra projects/jobs around the house to work off the cost. I will not burn one of my upgrade. I also don't get her a smart phone. Yes, she complains loudly but hey at 17 or 18 they are old enough to get a job and pay for the data plan and phone. I insist that she learn to work for things. Just my humble opinion.

3 lines all have unlimited data...and not real expensive either...would hate to lose that...but if I don't get her another phone, my fiance' will get her line and her upgrade with the unlimited data and i'll get her some dumpy phone that doesn't need a data plan and when she can pay for all that on her own, then she can get all of that. I think I'm done.

Thanks everyone, I really appeciate your ideas and your input. Was just wondering cause, I'm sooo at a loss on this one. But I think I got it now. I really think I do. Thanks thanks thanks :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
We usually until the last charger, only use the charger that comes with the phone...not really frying phones but the chargers are going out. I would go to VZN to buy the chargers but it gets expensive. Not sure why the chargers are going out. I've had my house rewired after the first one went out, cause the charger to her touchpad (no I didn't buy that it was a gift from her stepmother), went out too. She only charges in her room so I had made especially sure to have those outlets checked and they are fine. LOL about the car.
Well does she leave the chargers in the power outlet when not in use? I personally make sure my chargers are unplugged when not in use. If it's left in 24/7 I can see why they're being fried. Another thing that may cause the chargers to fry is using the devices while they're plugged in, and I mean heavily using them. (This based off MY opinion, not actual "research" I've done, it's just private practice).

OP
SmokinHawtVegasChic
Reaction score
Well does she leave the chargers in the power outlet when not in use? I personally make sure my chargers are unplugged when not in use. If it's left in 24/7 I can see why they're being fried. Another thing that may cause the chargers to fry is using the devices while they're plugged in, and I mean heavily using them. (This based off MY opinion, not actual "research" I've done, it's just private practice).

No she doesn't leave them plugged in when the phone isn't charging, however, she does do the latter...that may be it. I never thought of that. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks I really 'preciate your help on this.