How does Verizon handle phone upgrade on family plan?. reference Droid X

kasch18

Reaction score
I'm on a family share plan with my wife. I upgraded to the droid earlier this year and my wife is eligible for an upgrade in october. With the news that you can upgrade early to get a droid x, I'm planning on upgrading her phone when the X comes out.

Here's my question. Can we upgrade her phone to the X then transfer my number to the X and hers to my droid? She's currently using a $25 flip phone and is technologically retarded, so the X would be wasted on her. She'll be more than happy with the ability to check her email on the droid.

Is this kosher with Verizon or does somebody have an angle to take with them so this can be done. Thank you as always.

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah, you can swap numbers. So uprade her line with the droid x then go online an switch the MEID of the droid x to your number an the MEID of your droid to her number. Do it online though because if you call an ask verizon to do it they charge a fee. But yeah, I use my family members upgrades all the time. Its a good deal :)

Last edited:

baniels

Reaction score
That is exactly what I plan on doing with my wife's upgrade in August.

jkayner

Reaction score
i think it depends on your plan. my wife and I had a plan where she was the primary number and I had the secondary. When it was time for us to upgrade they said that only the primary number gets the NE2 discount, not the secondary line. This was about 4 years ago though, not sure if it has changed since then.

Reaction score
We did something similar a few months ago when our primary line was early upgrade eligible, and we added a 3rd line to our plan. They have no issues switching phones around on different numbers, and your upgrade date stays the same.

The only 'issue' I have had with this is that the last time we did it (hubbs got the BB Storm, hated it, and used it as a paperweight until I agreed to trade him my EnV) it somehow switched our primary numbers so that mine is now the primary line. Not that I'm complaining or anything, just a weird thing that happened.

the3dolla

Reaction score
Yeah, you can swap numbers. So uprade her line with the droid x then go online an switch the MEID of the droid x to your number an the MEID of your droid to her number. Do it online though because if you call an ask verizon to do it they charge a fee. But yeah, I use my family members upgrades all the time. Its a good deal :)

Not true, unless they have changed their policy. I do this every time someone upgrades their phone on our family plan; nobody uses their own upgrade. You usually cannot do it on the internet unless you wait a few days. You have to activate it on the oriopginal line and then you can switch. One time they really didn't wanna do it right away because then there would be no record in their system. I pressed and they did it anyways.

They have NEVER charged us a fee.. I order all my phones online, in the store there is a 20 upgrade fee. BTW I'm pretty sure it's the decimal ESN, nice try though.