100,000 Droids? More like 400,000 Droids

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
moto-droid-tsc.jpg

Earlier this week we posted an article that noted roughly 100,000 Droids were sold during the first weekend of sales. According to a new report posted by Michael Cote of the Cote Collaborative believes the total number of Droids sold could be at least 400,000! This is more than four times the figure posted by BroadPoint AmTech's analyst Mark McKechnie and makes for a very successful launch. Regardless of the figure, this is a great sales number for an opening weekend. The 400,000 mark would be great news for both Verizon and Motorola. Motorola especially hasn't had a wildly popular phone since the Razr.

TheStreet.com reports:
Cote credits McKechnie with having accurate Verizon store Droid allocation numbers, but says that is only part of the picture. Cote, who is a pricing and product strategy consultant to several of the major industry players, says his checks of all Droid outlets including Best Buy stores and online sales show a much bigger number. A Verizon representative declined to comment on the number of Droids sold to date.
{Source: TheStreet.com}

sir

Reaction score
does that include all of the people returning them for not doing their research first or expecting a flawless 1st gen phone?

D

DroidMastar

does that include all of the people returning them for not doing their research first or expecting a flawless 1st gen phone?
Isn't that annoying when people buy a 1st gen phone and expect it to be flawless? It's like ok seriously... how many phones, pieces of technology for that matter come out and the first don't have some sort of flaw or kink that needs to be worked out.... But back to the topic at hand. It's great if 400k scooped up the phone. Verizon may actually feel a need to follow through and update the firmware, cuz ya know sometimes they slack off. Bigger user base def. means more and better software, and i'm still looking forward to something that will allow me to save (not just backup) apps to my SD.

vastidious

Reaction score
Well those numbers are going to change drastically in the next few weeks. For example, my company is switching providers and the Droid is one of the phones we can choose from. But our existing contracts don't end until December 3rd. So I've got to wait until then. One of my co-workers, doesn't get a phone from the company, so she went out and got hers on her own. She got hers in yesterday. It makes me wonder how many other people are in the same situation.

It's driving me nuts because 3 people are getting their phones today because their phones were broken. I should have broken mine! I still have to wait 3 weeks.... grrr!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's driving me nuts because 3 people are getting their phones today because their phones were broken. I should have broken mine! I still have to wait 3 weeks.... grrr!
watch out vastidious! Damn sorry I smashed into you like that.....oh man I apologize for breaking your phone just now. It was an accident. I'm very sorry.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like almost anything, the first versions always have problems. Cars, XBox 360, ipods, etc, etc. It just depends how the company handles it and with the upcoming patch on Dec 11, I think Verizon is doing a good job.

I can't wait to see how many droids are sold by the end of the year!

Guindalf

Reaction score
Count me as one of the 1st gen victims. I have to take my phone back for a replacement (random shutdowns), but I'm not complaining. I understand that these things happen.

Kalian

Reaction score
Count me as one of the 1st gen victims. I have to take my phone back for a replacement (random shutdowns), but I'm not complaining. I understand that these things happen.
That scares me. I didn't get insurance for my plan when I picked up the phone. Now i'm wondering if I should

Getaphixx

Reaction score
That scares me. I didn't get insurance for my plan when I picked up the phone. Now i'm wondering if I should

YES! I would pick up insurance for your new toy...

I've got BestBuys warranty which includes me droping it in water.

other donders

Reaction score
Love seeing the popularity of this phone so far. I love it, and everyone else should enjoy it too!

D

DroidMastar

When you purchase a phone from verizon wireless it comes with a 1 year waranty. If something happens to your phone like dropping it in water or anything besides something that shows obvious physical damage to the phone... they will replace it at Verizon.

D

DroidMastar

But if yo udo drop it in water... don't tell them that... lol... just say it stopped working.

gtjokester

Reaction score
You could probably take care of that random shutdown problem by doing a wipe. Power off the phone,hold x and power button, when you see the triangle press the volume up and camera button and then use the D pad to select the wipe option. It will reset everything and be good to go. Its also possible an app from the market is causing it due to not being 2.0 compatible yet. Android has a panic feature that will cause it to reboot whenever something isn't right.