Your first impressions on the Note 4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Love my SwiftKey nothing touches IMO... BTW went to Best buy picked up Note 4 for girlfriend.. We traded her Note 2 for $200.. They are still running promo... The more I play with phone the more I'm leaning towards picking one for myself.. It flies.. Pics and screen are ridiculous..

M8 tap'd

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Picked up my new Note 4 yesterday. Funny thing it's my wife's birthday on Wednesday. So I teased her by saying it's her birthday gift for me. I'm loving this phone so far. It's pretty fast. At first it was a little lagging due to poor cellular data speed. I did a reboot(first time since getting setup) and 'tada' everything running smooth.

This is my first Note. In fact it's my first phablet and I must say the size isn't over whelming at all. It's fits fine in my front jeans pocket which is where I always kept my phone. For a big phone I was expecting it to be kinda heavy but not bad it all. The extra screen size is always welcomed when using it. Speaking of the screen. Oh my it's gorgeous!

Like I said it's my first Note so I'm new to the S-pen. It writes very nice. Although I would like to play with it some more. I think it's going to be a useful feature that I'm going to use for copy/pasting and taking down notes. It's a key feature that made my get the Note over another phablet.

Haven't used TouchWiz in ages, but I must say it's not bad. I was using it for a while and wasn't complaining about it lol. However, I did switch to Nove launcher because let's face it. 3rd party launchers are just better than factory launchers.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Picked up my new Note 4 yesterday. Funny thing it's my wife's birthday on Wednesday. So I teased her by saying it's her birthday gift for me. I'm loving this phone so far. It's pretty fast. At first it was a little lagging due to poor cellular data speed. I did a reboot(first time since getting setup) and 'tada' everything running smooth.

This is my first Note. In fact it's my first phablet and I must say the size isn't over whelming at all. It's fits fine in my front jeans pocket which is where I always kept my phone. For a big phone I was expecting it to be kinda heavy but not bad it all. The extra screen size is always welcomed when using it. Speaking of the screen. Oh my it's gorgeous!

Like I said it's my first Note so I'm new to the S-pen. It writes very nice. Although I would like to play with it some more. I think it's going to be a useful feature that I'm going to use for copy/pasting and taking down notes. It's a key feature that made my get the Note over another phablet.

Haven't used TouchWiz in ages, but I must say it's not bad. I was using it for a while and wasn't complaining about it lol. However, I did switch to Nove launcher because let's face it. 3rd party launchers are just better than factory launchers.
Nice write up. I'm giving the urgent to install next launcher 3D, because I know once I see that in this screen, there's no going back.

Sent from my Note 4

marthinollys

Reaction score
Yes, great device. TW is for the most part clean and modernized throughout. I'm presently using Nova as well. Love the new build with the metal trim. Only issue I'm having is that Google Now voice search isn't working consistently with screen off.

I should add that though the fingerprint scanner is slightly hit and miss with my thumb, it's totally reliable when I use my forefinger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Love my SwiftKey nothing touches IMO... BTW went to Best buy picked up Note 4 for girlfriend.. We traded her Note 2 for $200.. They are still running promo... The more I play with phone the more I'm leaning towards picking one for myself.. It flies.. Pics and screen are ridiculous..

M8 tap'd

+1 for SwiftKey. First of all I like using a keyboard with arrows. It's annoying to be tapping on a text screen and you missed by a couple characters of where you want the cursor. Any keyboard with arrows allows you to easily correct that. SwiftKey's ability to predict your next word is very good. Almost scarey good lol

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
+1 for SwiftKey. First of all I like using a keyboard with arrows. It's annoying to be tapping on a text screen and you missed by a couple characters of where you want the cursor. Any keyboard with arrows allows you to easily correct that. SwiftKey's ability to predict your next word is very good. Almost scarey good lol
That's what the s pen is for. Pinpoint accuracy when trying to insert the cursor.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, great device. TW is for the most part clean and modernized throughout. I'm presently using Nova as well. Love the new build with the metal trim. Only issue I'm having is that Google Now voice search isn't working consistently with screen off.

There are still some issues with Google now & s voice to be worked out. I posted a thread about it. I finally got Google now to work properly & now s voice doesn't listen to me. If u had to choose, that's the way I want it, but since they're both there, it'd be nice if they worked.

Sent from my Note 4

marthinollys

Reaction score
There are still some issues with Google now & s voice to be worked out. I posted a thread about it. I finally got Google now to work properly & now s voice doesn't listen to me. If u had to choose, that's the way I want it, but since they're both there, it'd be nice if they worked.

Sent from my Note 4
Yes, I've read your thread - probably need to go through it again. I did make some changes in S-Voice settings.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, I've read your thread - probably need to go through it again. I did make some changes in S-Voice settings.

Tbh, I never really have s voice a fair shake. Seems like they've improved upon it though. Oh well. I'll play with it more some day. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

marthinollys

Reaction score
Tbh, I never really have s voice a fair shake. Seems like they've improved upon it though. Oh well. I'll play with it more some day. Haha

Sent from my Note 4
S-Voice likely works far better than people realize. I've always just used Google Now.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
S-Voice likely works far better than people realize. I've always just used Google Now.

Same here. They have all the rest of my data, why not give them my voice? Haha! I've made great use of the package tracking while I waited for my Note & my case.

Sent from my Note 4

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Nice write up. I'm giving the urgent to install next launcher 3D, because I know once I see that in this screen, there's no going back.

Sent from my Note 4

I like nova/Apex/etc launchers because I can change the grid size to fit more stuff on my screen, shrink the margins to give me more screen real estate, making folders in the app drawer is nice also.

I always stayed away from 3D launcher because it just seemed like too much stuff running that would bog down the phone. Kinda like the old Touchwiz . However, you made a good point about this screen. Not to mention an excellent processor and 3GB ram should be enough to run it well. I might give it a shot sometime.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like nova/Apex/etc launchers because I can change the grid size to fit more stuff on my screen, shrink the margins to give me more screen real estate, making folders in the app drawer is nice also.

I always stayed away from 3D launcher because it just seemed like too much stuff running that would bog down the phone. Kinda like the old Touchwiz . However, you made a good point about this screen. Not to mention an excellent processor and 3GB ram should be enough to run it well. I might give it a shot sometime.
Next 3D ran just fine on my s4, so I have no doubts that the note will handle it. You lose some abilities with some 3D launchers. Next's 3D mode doesn't have landscape mode. But you can cram a lot onto one screen, overlap widgets, etc.

Their 2D mode in the same launcher is actually very nice as well.

Sent from my Note 4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yeah, the more I mess with the Note 4, the more I like it. It may be my first dive into the Note line/phablet category if the Nexus 6 doesn't win me over.

I'm waiting to see what shakes out... Root is a must for me... I'm watching the threads closely for good news.. This phone is solid but just give me root

M8 tap'd