Yahoomail synced with droid?

FireDroid

Reaction score
Hello, new Droid user here,

I am trying to "sync" my yahoomail account to the mail Icon, I have seen the video and tried several times and keep getting a "login or password incorrect' error message over and over. I have gone and triple checked my info and it is correct but it will not let me passed the imap part of the set up after hitting next. Any help would be appreciated.

uscjoel

Reaction score
Cant do it without the paid version of Yahoo mail.

OP
F

FireDroid

Reaction score
Not doubting you, but I have read several places that you DO NOT need the paid version of Yahoomail.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are the setting are you using? I have it working without the Yahoo Plus.

OP
F

FireDroid

Reaction score
Hmm, I used the settings that is on the video from Rob. I put the imap at imap.mail.yahoo.com and the port to 143, then hit next and it comes up with the user message saying it is the wrong username or password.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Make sure you're using pop.mail.yahoo.com as your mail server. Also try port# 995 if port# 143 isn't working.

There are some people, for whatever reason, that can access their Yahoo mail through the pop server without paying for the Premium mail service. I do not know why it works for some, but not for others, but it is a known issue. You may just be one of the unlucky ones who it won't work for without paying for their Premium service.

Now, if you ARE paying for their Premium e-mail service, then you have the right to tech-support from Yahoo. Explain your problem to them, and maybe they can figure out where it's going wrong.

EDIT: Also, CNet has posted a video on how to forward Yahoo mail to your GMail account for free. It may or may not work for you, and it's potentially not a very elegant solution (if their first suggestion doesn't work for you, then you have to do some pretty ugly work-arounds). But maybe you'll want to give it a try anyway...
Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Last edited:
OP
F

FireDroid

Reaction score
Ok, here's the skinny,

I went in and check the settings on my account and have been trying for over 24 hours to do it, so I bucked up and paid the $20 for the year and it worked perfectly the first time, I suppose there will be a fix in the future and I can cancel and be paid back the unused portion. I figure i lose $2 bucks a month so it was worth it. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I've been using it unpaid for about 2 weeks and it works perfectly. I followed the instructions here to the letter and it works. Note that others who claim to have done the same say it doesn't. Not sure why I'm lucky but this seems to be a rare case where I am.

Hope this helps.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not doubting you, but I have read several places that you DO NOT need the paid version of Yahoomail.
Let's put it this way: it's not guaranteed to work without the paid version. It worked for me, stopped working, started working again after 2.0.1 and then stopped again.

gonzilla

Reaction score
It worked for me using the IMAP server at port 143... but if I sent anything from my handset it would put multiple copies of it in my sent box (about one copy every 15 minutes or so). Even if I deleted the sent messages, the next time I checked, more would appear. I finally had to delete the account from my Droid to get it to stop after deleting thousands of duplicate sent messages. What a pain.

daddyd302

Reaction score
Hello, new Droid user here,

I am trying to "sync" my yahoomail account to the mail Icon, I have seen the video and tried several times and keep getting a "login or password incorrect' error message over and over. I have gone and triple checked my info and it is correct but it will not let me passed the imap part of the set up after hitting next. Any help would be appreciated.

I followed this video. I did google it first and tried following the instructions with failure after failure. Until I saw this video, I didn't know what I was doing wrong. I followed all the instruction, but the video told me not to use wi-fi. I disabled it and went to 3G and it worked. There's no need to pay for this when you can do it for free.

[video=youtube;Qq0WrfZmG1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0WrfZmG1I[/video]

Last edited:

xjman349

Reaction score
Ok Yahoo sent an Email to corporate Verizon and it the last update you will not be able to use yahoo unless its a plus account. This has been proven correct. If you have the connection already established it wont affect you, however if you are trying to set it up after 2.0.1 it will not work. Yahoo doesn't want google to use it without people paying for it. To be honest makes sense. Yahoo vs google competition. I am sure yahoo wants some dough. In closing, if you have Yahoo currently setup you shouldnt see any problems. If you are looking to reset it you will need to have a paid account in order for it to work.

daddyd302

Reaction score
Ok Yahoo sent an Email to corporate Verizon and it the last update you will not be able to use yahoo unless its a plus account. This has been proven correct. If you have the connection already established it wont affect you, however if you are trying to set it up after 2.0.1 it will not work. Yahoo doesn't want google to use it without people paying for it. To be honest makes sense. Yahoo vs google competition. I am sure yahoo wants some dough. In closing, if you have Yahoo currently setup you shouldnt see any problems. If you are looking to reset it you will need to have a paid account in order for it to work.

I deleted my account and redid the whole process over, and again it worked. I bought my phone last Friday and it came with the 2.0.1 update. I'm not sure where you guys are hearing this as I just redid my account again and it still works. If you guys can't get it to work, you guys screwed up somewhere in the process.

OMEGA5

Reaction score
This is how I got the free yahoo mail to work on my droid:

go to mail icon
add account
enter email address in email address filed ([email protected])
enter password at password field
select MANUAL SETUP not next
select imap
username= [email protected]
password = yourpassword
imap server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
port=143
security=none
optional = blank
select next

you will then be prompted to sign in do so.

will then be taken to the smptp settings which only prompts (going form memory) you for address which is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com. leave the port as is. then select next. sign in. name your account and that's it.

PatG

Reaction score
I have a Yahoo Plus account (had one for years) and just did the setup. Worked great! $20 / year is really no big deal. For those with Yahoo Plus (or those without that have it working), do you guys use IMAP or POP? I currently use POP and have it set to delete from the server if I delete a message from the phone.

I use IMAP for GMail, bug I do spend most of my time in Outlook. One of the drawbacks - and that may not be IMAP, I don't know - is that Outlook downloads the headers, then you have to mark them, then process them to see the message. A two step process. With Yahoo its just a straight download.

Just wondering what is better?