Would you purchase THE DROID IF....?????

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
I have a very old basic cell phone with almost no features. I REALLY want the droid and was all set to buy it today until I found out I couldn't just do that.

I have two options of buying the droid, which would you choose?

Option 1:
-Pay $110 to break contract
-Must get new phone number

Option 2:
-Wait 6 months for contract to end to buy phone and keep number

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Option 3: pay fee and port number.

OP
J

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
As far as I know I cannot do that because my number is part of my contract and by breaking the contract I would lose the number. That's what I was told. Are you saying there is an extra fee I could pay to keep the number? They didn't tell me I could do that, are you sure?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if you cancel a plan now a days you can keep your number. You could cancel your VZW service today and take the same number to AT&T. (hypothetical of course) :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I believe you have been misinformed. You need to talk to someone other than the first tech you get.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
As far as I know I cannot do that because my number is part of my contract and by breaking the contract I would lose the number. That's what I was told. Are you saying there is an extra fee I could pay to keep the number? They didn't tell me I could do that, are you sure?

I paid my ETF to get rid of my iPhone and I kept my old number.

What you do is establish your new service for your Droid and port your number.THEN terminate the contract and service on the old phone.

You must establish service on the Droid and port your number BEFORE getting out of your old contract and service.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Wait out your contract, there'll be a new generation of phones for the holidays.

estobaughn

Reaction score
How long till your contract is up? I had almost 4 months left and they let me sign a new one. And get the "new customer" rates on phones. Like the previous post just talk to someone else till you get the answer you want. They will work with you.

JimmyD

Reaction score

I was an AT&T (Treo 650) customer and broke my contract to buy the Droid on Verizon. I still have the same phone number.

Verizon ported my number over when I signed up and within about 5 hours from the time of purchase, I was making and receiving calls on my Droid with the same phone number. :)

cloud12077

Reaction score
I have a very old basic cell phone with almost no features. I REALLY want the droid and was all set to buy it today until I found out I couldn't just do that.

I have two options of buying the droid, which would you choose?

Option 1:
-Pay $110 to break contract
-Must get new phone number

Option 2:
-Wait 6 months for contract to end to buy phone and keep number

I work for Verizon (formerly Alltel, formerly Midwest Wireless) Are you a former Alltel customer by chance? If so there are other options as well.

FLE

Reaction score
I say get the Droid asap then you will be alot happy. I would break the contract and pay the ducks the droid is worth evey penny..

OP
J

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
I talked to the manager of the verizon store and I cannot port the number to a new contract and then close the other contract because the contract is based on the number. She told me there's no way to keep my number if I break the contract.

FLE

Reaction score
Gee I have never had a prob with verizon and I have been with them since 2001. I cant beleive they will not work with you at all. Shot in the dark, I would call the verizon customer service and ask them what they can do. I found that often they can do more than the store can do. It worth the call. The worst thing they could tell you is the same as the manager of that verizon.

sportadic22

Reaction score
ya i would continue talking to a few different Verizon reps... im sure there are more than 1 store in your home town.
some reps are just more easy going and generous and willing to hook you up..if it means you will continue to be happy with Verizon and spend your money on them.
few years ago ...i wanted a new phone... called around... found out this guy that alot of people knew as pretty generous.. gave me a new phone for 50percent off...a few months early too. :)
sooo just keep looking be patient. those who are patient are rewarded well :)

besides.. later this month there is the new incredible phone.. by 2Q/3Q/4Q this year there could be a new bomb ass droid 2 for all we know... so hang in there... check your options.