Would you purchase THE DROID IF....?????

Kack

Reaction score
my wife had the eris and then i got the droid. after a couple months of me showing her what Droid Does she told me i better find a way to get her a droid. i craigslisted and ebayed for a week and found a droid cost 150. got it form someone who bought one got one. so you can always do that.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would pay the 110 cancel fee...then go right to amazon.com and get the droid for 20. Youre still doing better than paying verizons price.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Some eye popping phones are in the pipeline for next Spring/Summer that should blow away even the D.Inc.

What new phones are coming out? Can you give me some names if you know any for me to research?

Mobile Snapdragon Processor to hit 1.5Ghz, Dual-Core in 2010 - PCWorld

The chipset should be ready soon which means that we should hear rumors about what the phone makers plan to release (as usual) for products we'll see the following Spring, like always.

There has been alot of talk of pico-projectors, cheap 32GB microSD will be here, and better CCDs not just more megapixels.

Just wait and see!

cloud12077

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but call customer service (800-922-0204 or #611) and ask for Retention department.

I called them and found out that verizon does NOT have a retention department.

The guy was very helpful and said I could only port the number if I was going to or coming from a different carrier (like at&t).

What he told me I could do is use the "certified preowned policy" which means I can buy a preowned droid for $290 that has been through multiple tests and checks to be certified. I would then just activate the droid with my account AND I would still have the upgrade that's coming to me in october. According to him a preowned device is supposed to be better than a new one because of all the tests and new software put on it. He told me that's what he would do in my situation.

What would you guys do? Should I wait until october, break contract and get new number, or buy preowned device?

Sorry the late reply. There is in fact a Retention Department.

I wasn't at work yet. Here is Retention Department's direct line (800-779-2409)

Good Luck

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would pay the 110 cancel fee...then go right to amazon.com and get the droid for 20. Youre still doing better than paying verizons price.

Something is telling me that the cancellation fee is higher then that. And I kind of wonder if Verizon would allow it, they do run a credit check so it would probably show up on your CBR that you cancelled your contract. Look at the big picture.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Something is telling me that the cancellation fee is higher then that. And I kind of wonder if Verizon would allow it, they do run a credit check so it would probably show up on your CBR that you cancelled your contract. Look at the big picture.

He would only be paying to get out of his contract. He can still keep the line. I had to do this when I got my droid. He said in his first post it was 110 to opt out of the contract. So end the contract, go to month by month...then go and get the phone from amazon. They will run your credit..long as you dont have a bad bill or anything they will still take it. Lot like it's scamming the system. It's the same thing as his option #1, only paying a lot less for the phone.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
You would have to do the math to see if its worth it but what about adding a second line, get the DROID then swap phones around where you will have the DROID on your line. Let the second line sit idle or give it to a family member. That is what we have done and I can tell you that the smartphone fee follows the phone not the line.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I'd say tough out the next few months and price up an out of contract Droid. You've been this long without a new phone, you may as well wait. The Droid will only get cheaper as time rolls on. Buy yourself a gift with the money you save. Besides that, the MotoDroid will be long in the tooth by next summer.

Some eye popping phones are in the pipeline for next Spring/Summer that should blow away even the D.Inc.

Sorry Dusty, I don't agree here. When you want a new phone, you want it now. You can always wait for the next generation of electronic gizmo (computers, TV's, phones, cars, whatever) and get the newest, slickest, greatest... But at some point you have to pull the trigger - and go for it. The longer you wait, the harder it is to make a decision.

Just think of all the fun and excitement you're missing out on right now by hanging on to your "two cans and a string" phone and not wading into the 21st century! :icon_ poke:

Note: Heavy tongue in cheek here....:biggrin:

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look I switched over last november. I was with t-mobile and wanted better service and a better phone. When I switched to verizon I told them I wanted to keep my number. My earily cancellation fee was 200 per line itt was well worth it. I kept my same number just different service. You can do it man go for it.

cssjamesr

Reaction score
Option 3: pay fee and port number.
As far as I know I cannot do that because my number is part of my contract and by breaking the contract I would lose the number. That's what I was told. Are you saying there is an extra fee I could pay to keep the number? They didn't tell me I could do that, are you sure?

What you need to do is go to a verizon store and buy the droid and then they will give you a number that you can call and tranfer the number over with no problem!!!! And yes you will have to pay that fee but i think DROID IS WORTH IT :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::motdroidvert:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have two options of buying the droid, which would you choose?
I'd pay the ETF and get a new number since I use Google Voice and don't give out my actual number to anyone. I'm not sure how that's relevant to your situation though... You should consider what you would do, not what I would do. Well, that and your OP didn't mention that you were already with Verizon (I was switching from at&t).

And I kind of wonder if Verizon would allow it, they do run a credit check so it would probably show up on your CBR that you cancelled your contract. Look at the big picture.
Why would an ETF affect your credit unless you didn't pay it and allowed it to go to collections?

I'm sure they can see that the OP was a customer with canceled service but that won't take a credit check to uncover. Not sure how it would affect things though. Closing a line of service and paying the ETF and opening a new line of service should be entirely separate. The only real issue that I can see is the OP wanting to retain the number.

Last edited:
R

Romple

You could always buy a used Droid for <$300. Might be a little more costly but you don't break your contract so will get your NEWE2 on time.

Compared to paying $110 for ETF, plus VZW's price on a Droid it's not a terrible option.