Would you purchase THE DROID IF....?????

Reaction score
Are you going from Verizon to Verizon? Then probably not, I can't remember the procedure on that since its been two years since I sold cell phones, but I think that it is true that you can't port the number from the same service. Only from service to service. I maybe wrong.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I talked to the manager of the verizon store and I cannot port the number to a new contract and then close the other contract because the contract is based on the number. She told me there's no way to keep my number if I break the contract.

Something is odd here. Is your current contract with another carrier? Perhaps she meant that you cannot simply get a contract with Verizon without closing the contract with your current carrier. Otherwise, this makes no sense.

It's certainly not in VZW's interest to give you a new number and have to recycle your old number. Nor, for that matter is it in another carrier's interest to have to recycle your old number.

What does make sense is that you cannot transfer your old number to your new phone without closing the first account simultaneously.

cloud12077

Reaction score
I talked to the manager of the verizon store and I cannot port the number to a new contract and then close the other contract because the contract is based on the number. She told me there's no way to keep my number if I break the contract.

This is a shot in the dark, but call customer service (800-922-0204 or #611) and ask for Retention department.

Retention department is the area that keeps people with Verizon. Just tell them that you want to upgrade to the droid but you have to wait a few more months. Tell them your willing to break your contract and goto T-Mobile for the Nexus (or something that will spark them to give you a deal). Generally Retention will do anything and everything to keep a customer just so you know.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I upgraded my phone to a Droid about 6 months early. They simply had me sign a new contract beginning on THAT day and I had to pay the $300 for the phone. Then I sent in the proof-of-purchase and got $100 back. They will make all kinds of allowances if you're going to get into a "smart" phone - the Droid in particular. If I'd wanted an LG enV3 - NO DEAL. Make sure you're going into a corporate store too. Those little side-show mall stores are worthless.

Good luck. :icon_ lala:

FLE

Reaction score
I agree play verbal judo with them. Make them think that you are unhappy and are thinking about changing carriers. Go in with your guns loaded though. Tell them what T-Mobile is willing to offer you and see if they will either match the offer or beat it. Tell them you love Verizon and want the Droid but T-Mobile is offering you an awesome deal on a phone. I am actually on my friends verizon plan. My number was just put on the contract approx 6 months ago but his number was up for the new every two program. He just explained to verizon that he liked the phone he had but wanted to know if I cound use his new evey two and keep my old number. The manager was more than happy to give me the new every two credit. Although he did have to sign a new two year contract, I got what I wanted and Verizon got what they wanted, we both won. Do some checking around your area and see what other carriers are offering. Use that to persuade the rep to see things your way. I would not lie to them and make up some off the wall deal, they can check on that quick and pull your punk card. I agree you have not found the right person at verizon. Keep at it and I say you will win.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

That doesn't make any sense. They couldn't care any less about the number. What they care about is that customer "jeremysfilms" pays $X.XX per month until the contract expires.

Just to be clear, who is your cellphone service with now that you are trying to leave? I don't see where you mentioned that in any of the posts, unless I missed something.

When I left AT&T for Verizon I kept my iPhone for 30 days extra at the same time that I had my Droid. When I got close to the 30 day period I literally walked into my local Verizon store and they ported the number from a still functioning, and not-yet-cancelled-7-months-old-AT&T-iPhone-contract to my Droid, which then rang an hour or two later under my old number. I then called AT&T and dropped them.

If you still want the Droid, just buy it, get a service plan, and port your number. Don't bother even mention anything about the contract or phone you want to be rid of. Then simply go home call the service provider for the old phone, and cancel the old phone and pay the ETF.

Last edited:

VolDroid

Reaction score
My wife stuck it to me to get her Droid. Her contract isn't up for renewal until October this year. So she made me add another line to our contract and switch her old phone to that one and then she bought her (no I bought her) a Droid and put it on the old line. Nothing spending extra money every month to feed the need. lol

OP
J

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but call customer service (800-922-0204 or #611) and ask for Retention department.

I called them and found out that verizon does NOT have a retention department.

The guy was very helpful and said I could only port the number if I was going to or coming from a different carrier (like at&t).

What he told me I could do is use the "certified preowned policy" which means I can buy a preowned droid for $290 that has been through multiple tests and checks to be certified. I would then just activate the droid with my account AND I would still have the upgrade that's coming to me in october. According to him a preowned device is supposed to be better than a new one because of all the tests and new software put on it. He told me that's what he would do in my situation.

What would you guys do? Should I wait until october, break contract and get new number, or buy preowned device?

OP
J

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
If you still want the Droid, just buy it, get a service plan, and port your number. Don't bother even mention anything about the contract or phone you want to be rid of. Then simply go home call the service provider for the old phone, and cancel the old phone and pay the ETF.

My whole issue is that I don't want to spend $550 to buy the droid at full price. I want to buy it at the discounted rate which is what you get when making a 2 year contract with it.

I have verizon and always have had verizon.

VolDroid

Reaction score
I think that would be up to how much $ you wanted to spend. I wouldn't go with the new number though. Personally I'd get the refurbished Droid and use it and that way you would still have your upgrade later in the year if for some reason you didn't like the Droid.

Sodner

Reaction score
I upgraded my phone to a Droid about 6 months early. They simply had me sign a new contract beginning on THAT day and I had to pay the $300 for the phone. Then I sent in the proof-of-purchase and got $100 back. They will make all kinds of allowances if you're going to get into a "smart" phone - the Droid in particular. If I'd wanted an LG enV3 - NO DEAL. Make sure you're going into a corporate store too. Those little side-show mall stores are worthless.

Good luck. :icon_ lala:

Ditto. I got my Droid 10 months into my existing Verizon contract. Paid around $300 with a $100 rebate with a new contract. This weekend I freaking broke my Droid, well crushed it is more like it. One call to Verizon, re up the contract paid same price again and new phone on its way. This time with insurance. :)

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Oh, now I see!

I'd say tough out the next few months and price up an out of contract Droid. You've been this long without a new phone, you may as well wait. The Droid will only get cheaper as time rolls on. Buy yourself a gift with the money you save. Besides that, the MotoDroid will be long in the tooth by next summer.

Some eye popping phones are in the pipeline for next Spring/Summer that should blow away even the D.Inc.

Last edited:
OP
J

jeremysfilms

Reaction score
Some eye popping phones are in the pipeline for next Spring/Summer that should blow away even the D.Inc.

What new phones are coming out? Can you give me some names if you know any for me to research?

r1nstang

Reaction score
who are you with right now? if your with verizon and your monthly plan is over 39.99 a month then you qualify for yearly upgrades. its how I got my droid. I had the voyager (biggest POS phone ever) once I hit a year on my contract i went to verizonwireless online and chose" upgrade phone"