Worth leaving Verizon with an etf for T-Mobile and nexus 5?

jamjr74

Reaction score
Ok have been with Verizon for years and just bought a nexus 5 and ported to T-Mobile. Love the phone but am not keen on the coverage I am getting. I have not dropped any calls but call quality is not the best. I usually get 0-2 bars of hspa at my house and near my house but get 3 bars of LTE with Verizon. Just wish big red would carry the nexus. What do u guys think? I also left Verizon under contract so have to pay a $300 etf. Guess I could always go back through win back dept.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So you've already left Verizon?

When it comes down to a phone of any make or model, it comes down to coverage. The phone can be the best on the market, but if you're getting iffy signal and pairing that with slow data speeds because of a bad signal, I personally don't think it's worth it

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Yes I ported number to T-Mobile 3 days ago. Im pretty sure I can port back and resume contract if I call though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally no and this is why for me: I did (and still doing a test) of the T-mobile LTE and I was disappointed not only of the network but of the customer service. Yeah I am paying more with at&t (and with verizon when I was on their network) but it is worth it. Verizon is by far the best network in rural areas but AT&t is no slouch. My LTE speeds on At&t where I am at is just as fast if not faster than Verizon plus I also have the ability to buy unlocked phones (like the Nexus 5) if I so choose. I put T-mobile's network and customer service up against At&t and in the end saw no reason why I could ever go to t-mobile. The Nexus 5 is a nice device especially for those loving the Nexus brand but up against the devices on the market the main plus is that it gets software first. To me that would not be enough to leave Verizon especially since you can get a moto x dev edition or razr dev edition and put aosp roms on it (barring the device has dev support).

SO to answer your question, If I was in your shoes no. It would be one thing to pay that if you know you were going to a reliable network. But to pay an etf for that when moto x dev edition already have kit kat roms to me is not worth it. I am running an aosp kit kat on my n2 and love it. Up until putting that rom on my phone I could not wait to get a nexus 5 even after seeing the issues some people were having. Now I am totally content with what I have and will wait until the spring to see what google play edition device will be out by then.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes I ported number to T-Mobile 3 days ago. Im pretty sure I can port back and resume contract if I call though.

I'm sure they'd be happy to get you back as a customer, but if you had unlimited data you can pretty much kiss that goodbye. If you haven't officially terminated the contract already then I'm sure they'll take you back, but I got a feeling they won't let you hang onto that unlimited data if you had it before "pausing" your contract.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Yeah didn't have unlimited so no biggie.

Caesars

Reaction score
I would give it a whirl for as much as the return policy as possible. You could also try other wireless companies and hope to get something that works for you.

Note 3 <Caesars>

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Just an update... After dropping a few calls today and have never dropped a call with verizon in years I am back with big red! I called the win back department and they let me jump right back into my contract like I never left! No termination or activation fees! Love the nexus 5 but the network and coverage is too important to me. Back to my S4!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just an update... After dropping a few calls today and have never dropped a call with verizon in years I am back with big red! I called the win back department and they let me jump right back into my contract like I never left! No termination or activation fees! Love the nexus 5 but the network and coverage is too important to me. Back to my S4!

You going to sell the nexus 5?

I have a nexus 7 so I can get the latest and greatest from Google. If you are rooted you should be seeing 4.4 aosp roms on the s4. With the s4 also being a Google play device you will probably have access to kit kat soon one it gets pushed to the Google play devices.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
If only Google would come out with their own Cell network... It would be Goodbye to Verizon! Though, it still maybe goodbye to Verizon if I don't see 4.4 devices.

Yes gonna sell the Nexus 5. I have the nexus 7 as well. I'm not that well versed with rooting although I did root and flash roms on my s3. I'll have to start researching. Thanks

Galaxy S4!!!