[Q] Would you ever leave Verizon for At&t

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing this but have never had any other carrier but Verizon. I am having some conflicts with Motorola and Verizon and may bail. It seems like At&t may even have better coverage in my area. Has anyone ever been on At&t before? Does anyone know the data speeds I would receive on HSPA+ between Rochester and Syracuse, New York? Is their HSPA+ network dependable (I don't live in At&t LTE city).

alboboy10

Reaction score
Att is horrible. You'll hate it. I dont like Verizon at all but I wouldn't trade them for att. My friends are all being throttled for using 2gb of data. Mind you they have unlimited. And they never have as good a coverage as I do.

Hspa + is crap too. All that talk about iPhone 4s getting 14.4 mbps is a joke. I've never seen my friends get over 4.5 lol

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
My brother has at&t and we live just north of Syracuse. His download speeds are terrible compared to mine. Signal in Syracuse is weak inside buildings. he has a Samsung galaxy s ii, decent phone, bad carrier IMO for cny. he is 21 and knows everything so I can't convince him otherwise LOL

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
After almost 20 years with the same carrier, same phone number, it's been there for me and AT&T is terribly spotty in our area, so...no.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Maybe check a Sprint coverage map and see if they are an option for you? I'm really good with vzw in my area and through 4 phones, I've never had even one issue.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. At&t doesn't exactly have better coverage in my area. My town is Verizon 3g and Att HSPA+. HSPA+ is suppose to be faster here than Verizon 3g. The next town over I get VZW LTE at 10 mbps, so there VZW is faster. Sprint and TMobile have bad coverage here for the most part.

It sounds like Att maybe be a mixed bag though, based on what you guys are telling me. I may still look into Att and HSPA+, if they can provide me better data signal than I get in my area. I know they will not beat the signal in neighboring areas.

Basically I feel like Motorola and Verizon are not treating me as a valued customer. I told Verizon that I was going to leave for Att, and they basically said go ahead we don't care.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I came from att and I prefer vzw. Vzw has its faults like all carriers but in the end its the most reliable network and customer service is top notch in comparison.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even though Verizon told me they didn't care if I left, they were nice throughout the whole phone call at least. I guess they are not too bad with customer service, just unwilling to provide any solutions for me.

I may be overreacting a little, but my data drops on my Bionic went from non-existent to every other day. While they come back in a couple minutes if I restart connections, it's still a hassle. Also development is not existent and difficult on this device with Motorola laying booby traps around ever corner "punishing" us if we try to mod our devices. I just want to get back to a device that has a solid data connection and where development thrives.

Insidious

Reaction score
I have a 3g USB modem with 5 gigs of data per month and I actually am switching is to att. Reason: I get terrible TERRIBLE speeds at my house. On atts 3g I get 6mbps down and 2 up. The speed for the price is what I'm switching for.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had AT&T for a good 10years if not longer before I switched to Verizon back in Nov 09. I know they get a bad rep for their service but my many years with them were great. No dropped called, top notch customer service, and was a bit cheaper than Verizon. However when we switched roughly 2 years ago I joined the Droid family.

Would I switch back now? No. For the reason that I would lose my unlimited data, I need it. I have been more than happy with Verizon and their customer service, the only knock on Verizon is the 2 major 4g outages we suffered in December, those were long miserable days. Data connection has been great since then.

nikecar

Reaction score
Even though Verizon told me they didn't care if I left, they were nice throughout the whole phone call at least. I guess they are not too bad with customer service, just unwilling to provide any solutions for me.

ATT called me a liar, threatened to send me a higher bill if i didn't stop complaining and stalled for 3 months to fix a billing error.

that said, I don't anticipate to go there again, especially with no unlimited data plans anymore.