Verizon ETF should do this.

ambrown

Reaction score
So, I have been considering my options for upgrading my phone lately. And verizon's new "share" plans haven't appealed that much to a "legacy" user with unlimited data. So I've been looking around.

But then I did the math on my early termination fee and realized that even with about 5 months left the ETF would be $160! And even if I waited till the last month of your contract to cancel it would be a whopping $110!

How verizon calculates their ETF, in case you didn't already know, is $350 minus $10 for each completed month of service.

But there's a much better, and in my opinion more fair, approach that verizon should take in calculating their ETF. You see if they took off an additional $4.50 each month for a total of $14.50 per month of completed service then it would be much smaller fee the fewer months left in service. For an example, 350/24=14.58333 so each month would be nearly equally divided out. And my current ETF for 5 months left would be $74.50. That's much more reasonable than $160! (though it could be argued that no ETF is reasonable). Under this system of calculating with one month of service left would give you $16.50. And if you were in your final month of service you would pay the remainder of $2. Even if they only did $14.00 then you would see a better outcome than under the current policy. You would pay $84 for 5 months left, $28 for 1 month left, and $14 in your final month of service (if you absolutely can't wait to terminate the contract). Now that would be awesome! And they could still charge that outrageous $350 while still keeping customers happy.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

npro1464

Reaction score
Why would they want to make it easier for you to leave? You're best bet, if your on a family plan like me, would be to take your VZ line and drop it to a flip phone for the remainder of the contract. Its $10/month for a flip phone, so you'd have to write off a $50 loss.

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
npro1464 said:
Why would they want to make it easier for you to leave? You're best bet, if your on a family plan like me, would be to take your VZ line and drop it to a flip phone for the remainder of the contract. Its $10/month for a flip phone, so you'd have to write off a $50 loss.

Problem with that is will verizon even allow that? When I signed up for the two year contract it was for a smartphone. I can't see them letting me out of that without invoking the ETF even by switching to a different non-smartphone. And I don't want to just go and lose my unlimited data; but on the other hand verizon is forcing me to anyway (at least if I take the subsidized upgrade). Why said they have to go and screw it all up with the "share" plans anyway?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Problem with that is will verizon even allow that? When I signed up for the two year contract it was for a smartphone. I can't see them letting me out of that without invoking the ETF even by switching to a different non-smartphone. And I don't want to just go and lose my unlimited data; but on the other hand verizon is forcing me to anyway (at least if I take the subsidized upgrade). Why said they have to go and screw it all up with the "share" plans anyway?

Put a non smart phone and you automatically drop the data. That doesn't matter what phone you bought first. I have a line whose upgrade i routinely use for upgrades and it's a flip phone from like 07.

And they could go back to the old system of 180 no matter when you cancel. First month last month, just a flat fee.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.