With all the issues the Galaxy Nexus is having, why is it being proclaimed the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasaun87

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying that the gnex has signal issues??? VERIZON HAS HAD 4 DATA OUTAGES IN THE LAST MONTH. Whenever u have a lot of phone being activated at one time, that creates problems. Go look when the iPhones came out. People have been waiting to compare phones forever. Around Christmas was the time everybody made their choices. I'm on 4.0.3 and while my girl with her iPhone and my boy with his razr were complaining about signal issues, I was using the hell out of my internet. Just give it time and all you gnex has issues people will see soon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying that the gnex has signal issues??? VERIZON HAS HAD 4 DATA OUTAGES IN THE LAST MONTH. Whenever u have a lot of phone being activated at one time, that creates problems. Go look when the iPhones came out. People have been waiting to compare phones forever. Around Christmas was the time everybody made their choices. I'm on 4.0.3 and while my girl with her iPhone and my boy with his razr were complaining about signal issues, I was using the hell out of my internet. Just give it time and all you gnex has issues people will see soon

because it does tend to have signal issues...signal strength is sometimes far lower than other similar devices right next to it whether or not the verizon 4g was working or not, it also applied to call signal, verizon is/did even put out an update to "fix" it (all they are actually doing is reconfiguring the signal strength detection, meaning if it said 90 dBm before now it would say something like 80 dBm, stupid really, its like changing your car speedometer so 60 mph reads 50 mph)

rasaun87

Reaction score
because it does tend to have signal issues...signal strength is sometimes far lower than other similar devices right next to it whether or not the verizon 4g was working or not, it also applied to call signal, verizon is/did even put out an update to "fix" it (all they are actually doing is reconfiguring the signal strength detection, meaning if it said 90 dBm before now it would say something like 80 dBm, stupid really, its like changing your car speedometer so 60 mph reads 50 mph)

Its not really a signal issue.. its actually the only phone showing the right thing lol. I read on droidlife that the nexus is the most accurate signal reader, but people in there head think that the numbers really matter that much so the update is Verizon's way of saying "here! You happy?! Now shut up." Lol

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not really a signal issue.. its actually the only phone showing the right thing lol. I read on droidlife that the nexus is the most accurate signal reader, but people in there head think that the numbers really matter that much so the update is Verizon's way of saying "here! You happy?! Now shut up." Lol

people wouldnt complain if not for dropped calls and data (when verizons network was working) though

rasaun87

Reaction score
people wouldnt complain if not for dropped calls and data (when verizons network was working) though

that's the thing, not everybody has that problem and every phone has people complaining about that. Go look on every forum. The resound has the least complainers and when I first got the nex I had that too not going to lie but I been on 4.0.3 radio for 2 weeks and not ONE drop. And I use my phone a lot. I think for one people thought this was gunna be the Jesus christ of phones and people were gunna nitpick either cuz that's what they do or that's their way of reassuring themselves of their purchase but either way every phone has complainers.

Crazycatlady

Reaction score

The update to 4.0.3 is also supposed to include new radios in addition to changing the way GNex calculates signal strength to match other phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually....the only phone showing the right thing is the LG Revolution:

DSC_0734.jpg

And IMO I would want my phone to show phone reception as the priority if I had to choose, not LTE. LTE is only for data right now. When we start using VoLTE....thats another story....

that's the thing, not everybody has that problem and every phone has people complaining about that. Go look on every forum. The resound has the least complainers and when I first got the nex I had that too not going to lie but I been on 4.0.3 radio for 2 weeks and not ONE drop. And I use my phone a lot. I think for one people thought this was gunna be the Jesus christ of phones and people were gunna nitpick either cuz that's what they do or that's their way of reassuring themselves of their purchase but either way every phone has complainers.

I agree...every phone has its issues, hiccups. I think you are right about the Rezound having the least amount of complaints in that forum section....the RAZR is in there too. I think someone in this thread or another one said it best: for the general public....at this time.....the Rezound and RAZR might be the better phones to get. FWIW....one person at another forum found out the hard way with the G Nex....trying to make a 9-1-1 call.... Sometimes its not as simple as ppl just wanting to complain or ppl trying to justifying purchases. I have a G Nex coming today. Hopefully I can get the delivery this time. I also have a RAZR. And its not about replacing my RAZR. It half wanting to see some things for myself....half possibly getting another phone. If all goes good I might have another new phone. If it doesnt go good....will just have 2 upgrades available when I add my Droid 1 to my plan. Maybe the new basebands do help. For ppl that dont root and run custom ROMs...will they have to wait for official updates? Who knows...Might try out a Rezound too just to see some things.

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
So far the GN has been awesome. I have had zero issues....of course I have only had it a very short period of time...but it is unlocked and rooted....nothing else really done to it yet. I can only assume that between the ridiculous amount of development attention that this device is receiving in addition to the amount of attention that Google typically pays to the Nexus phones that things are just going to get better and better.

pool_shark

Reaction score
To all of you saying you have no issues at all:
Are you all going to mobile websites or simply not using the web browser?

There are countless iavascript bug reports on Google's code page, you're all saying you don't see them?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
To all of you saying you have no issues at all:
Are you all going to mobile websites or simply not using the web browser?

There are countless iavascript bug reports on Google's code page, you're all saying you don't see them?

I use the hell outta the browser and I've never had one issue with the browser.

I used the 4.0.2 radios for a while and didn't have any issues. I updated to the 4.0.3 radios just for the hell of it and still no issues.

After a rom/kernel swap, battery life has been outstanding.

It seems to me that a lot of the negative press on this phone is coming directly from a few bad apples. The majority of Nexus phones are working perfectly fine.

Htown315

Reaction score
Zero issues here. Battery life should be better though given it has the largest battery. Wouldn't trade this phone for anything.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I use the hell outta the browser and I've never had one issue with the browser.

I used the 4.0.2 radios for a while and didn't have any issues. I updated to the 4.0.3 radios just for the hell of it and still no issues.

After a rom/kernel swap, battery life has been outstanding.

It seems to me that a lot of the negative press on this phone is coming directly from a few bad apples. The majority of Nexus phones are working perfectly fine.

Using your browser in desktop mode, log into google.com, tap on change background image in the lower left corner. Proceed to change the image and tell me what happens.

pool_shark

Reaction score
This happened. What was supposed to happen?

View attachment 45404

You selected the image on the nexus from the browser?
What browser? Are you using an alternate ROM or 4.0.3?
I cannot select an image, the select box never activates. If I select an image from my PC and go to google.com on the nexus, all I see is the image, no search bar and no tabs.

It's a javascript problem. There are multiple javascript bug reports submitted on google's code page, mostly submitted by developers.

Last edited:

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You selected the image on the nexus from the browser?
What browser? Are you using an alternate ROM or 4.0.3?
I cannot select an image, the select box never activates. If I select an image from my PC and go to google.com on the nexus, all I see is the image, no search bar and no tabs.

It's a javascript problem. There are multiple javascript bug reports submitted on google's code page, mostly submitted by developers.

Stock browser, GummyNex Rom 3.8 - 4.0.3

I did exactly as you said:

Open browser:
View attachment 45410

Switch to desktop mode:
View attachment 45411

Here's the plain Google page:
View attachment 45412

Selecting "Change background image"
View attachment 45413

Final result:
View attachment 45414