Galaxy nexus 3G data drop problems?

HowardZ

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Verizon upgrade available and am considering buying the Galaxy Nexus.
I am currently using a Droid-X with CyanogenMod9/Gummy ROM for the ICS 4.0.4

My only concern is - I have read that when in areas with poor 4G signal (or no 4G) that the Galaxy Nexus's 3G data drops frequently. I read that this occurs to all verizon 4G phones except the HTC rezound and thunderbolt because they have a setting to turn off 4G, which one can do when outside good 4G coverage areas.

I like the Glaxy Nexus as it gets timely android updates.

I also read that most HTC phones do not last very long on their battery.

How bad is the data drop issue?

Howard

huskur

Reaction score
What do you need? If you want a good radio and minimal data drops then the Nexus is not for you. It's known that the Nexus has issues with data dropping and the radio needs improving BUT you do have ICS. Is that enough to make you want the Nexus?

My advice is to wait a few days and see if the Razr's get the ICS update. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

FYI- You can turn of the LTE in all of the Moto 4G phones if needed. menu>settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's referring to disabling eHRPD to go "pure" evdo rev a, which only htc's chipset allows.

sent from my phone

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I don't have data drop issues with mine. But living in an area where there is weak 4g (which my apartment is) I do get a lot of switching back and forth between 3 and 4. But just switches, not drops, if that makes sense.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I do not get data drops ever. Like JSM said, I just get switching back and forth in my dorm because my school is like, right in the middle between awesome 4G coverage and very little to no 4G coverage. My first Nexus had data drops on CDMA/LTE mode, but never on CDMA only, but because I am actually in an area where I can get frequent 4G, I wouldn't stand for the drops. I returned the phone for another and things have been smooth sailing since then.

This phone truly is hit or miss and it's a shame. Opinions on data drops are hit or miss as well. Some people swear by the fact they data drops are a network issue, but I firmly believe some of these Nexuses have some hardware issues. Like I said, my first Nexus had massive data drops, a dozen a day usually, maybe more. So unless Verizon magically improved their network within the 20 mile radius in which I travel for work, school, recreation, etc... within the first week of having my first Nexus, then the problem was definitely the phone itself, not the network.

Case and point, this phone is great if you get a good one, and to put it bluntly, if you are suffering data drops, get a new one. Don't settle. I know BruhNiggs, you just got yours? So you are still in your 14-day window, you can go get a BNIB Nexus, assuming you get a Verizon employee who isn't an idiot.

OP
H

HowardZ

Reaction score
Verizon just sweetened the deal for the HTC Rezound - down to $50 now.

This may just be too good to turn down
$50 for Rezound, or
$300 for Galaxy Nexus.

The only negative I hear about is HTC and their batteries don't last long, but they sell an extended batter and cover.

I better hang out a bit in the Rezound forums.

Howard

girl

Reaction score
I have had my phone about 1 month and get great 4G signal at home and no or low 3G signal at work. Before I looked in the forums I called Verizon several times and they say they know of no problems. They sent a replacement phone which is doing the same thing. Is turning off the 4G the fix, or is it a different issue? Thanks

Hi,

I have a Verizon upgrade available and am considering buying the Galaxy Nexus.
I am currently using a Droid-X with CyanogenMod9/Gummy ROM for the ICS 4.0.4

My only concern is - I have read that when in areas with poor 4G signal (or no 4G) that the Galaxy Nexus's 3G data drops frequently. I read that this occurs to all verizon 4G phones except the HTC rezound and thunderbolt because they have a setting to turn off 4G, which one can do when outside good 4G coverage areas.

I like the Glaxy Nexus as it gets timely android updates.

I also read that most HTC phones do not last very long on their battery.

How bad is the data drop issue?

Howard

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have had my phone about 1 month and get great 4G signal at home and no or low 3G signal at work. Before I looked in the forums I called Verizon several times and they say they know of no problems. They sent a replacement phone which is doing the same thing. Is turning off the 4G the fix, or is it a different issue? Thanks
Could be you just don't get good signal at your work. That on top of Samsung's supposed "weak radios" will definitely effect your phones ability to get a signal. See if anyone else at your work is on Verizon and see how your Nexus signal compares.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon just sweetened the deal for the HTC Rezound - down to $50 now.

This may just be too good to turn down
$50 for Rezound, or
$300 for Galaxy Nexus.

The only negative I hear about is HTC and their batteries don't last long, but they sell an extended batter and cover.

I better hang out a bit in the Rezound forums.

Howard
I read somewhere,the Nexus is 79.00 now,makes me wished I'd waited.

girl

Reaction score
3G drops

Already did. Standing next to a friend with an IPhone 4S on Verizon with great signal and no drops

Could be you just don't get good signal at your work. That on top of Samsung's supposed "weak radios" will definitely effect your phones ability to get a signal. See if anyone else at your work is on Verizon and see how your Nexus signal compares.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
My 4G drops are so frequent, i just leave it on 3G now.

3G never drops calls or data. Ever.