With all the issues the Galaxy Nexus is having, why is it being proclaimed the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingManiac

Reaction score
I came from Droid, which I got a few month before Nexus One. It was stock Android, it has no OEM/Carrier skin, and it was easily rooted and customized. I wanted a Google phone when Nexus came out, and between the cost of getting another phone and it is not available to VZW, I didn't upgrade. Then Nexus S came, and not on VZW. I ran the OG OCed(and stayed Froyo as the ROM I used never got updated to Gingerbread), the Droid chugged along for 2 years, with newer app further taxing the aged hardware.... Then G-Nex is coming, I know it'll be my replacement. The release date is literally days before my new every 2 year, and when that day comes I drove to the store and got it. Another stock Android, this time on a Google phone, and it is sweet....I had some reception issue that seems to drain the battery too. But being unlockable and easily rooted and flashed. Those issue have thus far been solved and I couldn't be happier. Be it as the ICS or the new powerful hardware, the little noticeable Android "lag" on the touch screen seems to be gone, the new UI is slick, everything just seems better....I look at my friend's 1 cent Amazon deal Razr, and while that is a nice phone, as soon as you use it, you notice the Motoblur, you notice the OEM skin, and you know its different...

Last edited:

twright86

Reaction score
That I would like to see...
Verizon salesman- And over here is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.65 Amoled screen, dual core 1.2 GHz processor, 1 GB ram, running the latest OS Ice cream sandwich
Customer- wow that sounds nice
Vz salesman- oh and the best thing is an unlockable bootloader that allows you to root and install custom roms *shows customer his rommed phone next to stock display one*

Lol
Or imagine a display model unlocked and running a custom rom haha

Supercharged tweaked Miui.us
Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)
Lol....I just got a 2712 quadrant score.

Godric

Reaction score
And yes, ICS makes that big a difference. I could never go back to a previous version of Android after using the Nexus.

Agreed 100%. I had gingerbread on my og droid for a good while and I love my Asus Transformer but I can't wait until it gets 4.0

As far as issues go they can all easily be fixed with a software update. Yes 4g goes out sometimes but that would be a network issue not a phone issue. Low volume can be raised with Volume+ from the market and I'm on 3g most of the day to save battery life. It seems staying on LTE drains battery more than GPS so as long as you only turn it on when you need it your good. Hopefully a stock 4g toggle will be implemented soon for people who don't know how to handle an android phone.

I guess my only real complaint would be the lag with screen rotation. Aside from that I'm a happy camper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Why are well-respected phone information sources like wirefly and phonedog highlighting the Nexus as the best phone on the market when there are numerous issues with it? The Rezound has better specs all the way around, yet the Nexus is better?? I don't get it. Does the fact that it has factory ICS completely make up for the issues of the phone? Seriously... a phone with reception and signal issues is the best??

Better specs. Lol 1.5 vs 1.2? Is that what you're comparing. Or 5mp vs 8mp?

I have great reception. There are no reception issues on this phone from my understanding it was just the indicator. There are problems as there are with every smart phone...but this phone is the best in my opinion.

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
Better specs. Lol 1.5 vs 1.2? Is that what you're comparing. Or 5mp vs 8mp?

I have great reception. There are no reception issues on this phone from my understanding it was just the indicator. There are problems as there are with every smart phone...but this phone is the best in my opinion.

Spec-wise how is the GNex better? Battery?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol....I just got a 2712 quadrant score.
quadrant isnt exactly the most accurate from device to device, at any rate quadrant isnt optimized for ics now anyway, i've heard of people getting as low as 1400 or the app crashing altogether lol (btw i dont have a nexus i have an original droid 1 haha)

twright86

Reaction score
quadrant isnt exactly the most accurate from device to device, at any rate quadrant isnt optimized for ics now anyway, i've heard of people getting as low as 1400 or the app crashing altogether lol (btw i dont have a nexus i have an original droid 1 haha)
Oh, I know...I just tested 3 more times and the highest I got was 2475....the other 2 were 1771 and 1392....one other one was 633. wtf. lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Oh, I know...I just tested 3 more times and the highest I got was 2475....the other 2 were 1771 and 1392....one other one was 633. wtf. lol

Quadrant is old. It still doesn't even know what to do with the dual cores! Try AnTuTu and post that. I got 6059 stock rooted.

twright86

Reaction score
Quadrant is old. It still doesn't even know what to do with the dual cores! Try AnTuTu and post that. I got 6059 stock rooted.
6557, with Gummyjar ROM and Matrix kernel at 1.35 ghz.

Edit: Tested again at 6714

Overall score on CF Bench of 7414

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
I haven't seen the SGS2 vs Gnex dogfight. To be honest, I've been researching the latest three verizon phones--Gnex, Rezound, Razr--exclusively. Nontheless, it seems like everywhere I look the Nexus is being praised as the best.

But it's not. You specifically mentioned that Phonedog was praising it as the best, yet it lost to the Skyrocket in a dogfight. Proving your point invalid. You're welcome :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
But it's not. You specifically mentioned that Phonedog was praising it as the best, yet it lost to the Skyrocket in a dogfight. Proving your point invalid. You're welcome :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The skyrocket is ATT, he just said he looked at the top 3 verizon phones...its silly to compare ATT phones to verizon phones because who wants to switch carriers for a phone that is just slightly slightly better?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
But it's not. You specifically mentioned that Phonedog was praising it as the best, yet it lost to the Skyrocket in a dogfight. Proving your point invalid. You're welcome :) Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
You're also forgetting that the Skyrocket(SGSII) screen resolution is a lot lower than the Nexus, therefore in a benchmark the Nexus will always lose because it's pushing a higher resolution, which lowers scores dramatically. Until all phones use the same resolution, benchmarks like quadrant are fairly useless. That's why in the computer world we all use the standard 1280x1024 resolution during benchmarks like 3D Mark Vantage. If we didn't, our results would be pointless and unhelpful to those looking for comparisons. Also the Nexus' CPU is better than both the Rezound and SGSII, the GPU is where it's lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.