Will any current devices see 2.3?

jbunch

Reaction score
Hello all!
I was wondering what everyone's opinion would be on this?
What phones, if any, will see the 2.3 update?
Or will it just be reserved for the upcoming phones?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

Anything that's capable of running it will see it in some form or another.

The X and D2 and Incredible will definitely see it in an official OTA push. The Droid 1 might see an official OTA push, but people are betting against it despite what Google has said about it being possible. All new devices capable of running it will get it, be it from the factory or OTA. Earlier devices that have been rooted and ROMed that are capable of it will get ROMs with some or all the features.

I hope that answers your question. :)

turdbogls

Reaction score
I am confused....there are already people on here who have 2.3.2 running on their Droid 2's from an OTA update. if you are talking about gingerbread, then you can expect the above statement to be true.

personally i doubt the OG droid is going to see gingerbead with an official release...(unofficial ROM from the DEV team is pretty much a given)...but any of the 1ghz phones will for sure see it within 3 months time i would say.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
@TB;

I was assuming that's what the OP meant. There's been confusion over whether or not Gingerbread will be 2.3 or 3.0. Considering 2.3 has hit the D2 and nobody said "GINGERBREAD IS HERE!!!" I'm guessing the original 3.0 is accurate, but if the OP was following the latest rumor mill...

Yeah, sorry, my statement was referring to Gingerbread. :)

OP
jbunch

jbunch

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
I did not mean to confuse anyone, I have seen reports staying that one of gingerbreads requirements will be a higher resolution screen...also have seen that gingerbread could be called 2.3, not 3.0
I have some how confused myself now after seeing that the droid 2's are getting ota 2.3 updates...I thought that was just an update issues from motorola?
so I guess gingerbread is not going to be 2.3? or is it? :icon_eek:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think the best answer to the 2.3 and 3.0 confusion is this.

People is dumb. :)

I've been going on 3.0 because FroYo and Eclair were point updates. Gingerbread is a real overhaul. Someone typos in a news story and suddenly the blogosphere is awash with self-appointed gurus saying they heard it first and it's The Way Things Are Going To Be.

I say don't sweat it. :D but I stand by my appraisal of what's going to get it and what's not.

OP
jbunch

jbunch

Reaction score
Sounds simple enough, ill just leave it at that! :)

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
I think the best answer to the 2.3 and 3.0 confusion is this.

People is dumb. :)

I've been going on 3.0 because FroYo and Eclair were point updates. Gingerbread is a real overhaul. Someone typos in a news story and suddenly the blogosphere is awash with self-appointed gurus saying they heard it first and it's The Way Things Are Going To Be.

I say don't sweat it. :D but I stand by my appraisal of what's going to get it and what's not.

just got 2.3 update this morning

littlerick

Reaction score
the 2.3 the droid 2 got is still version 2.2 if you look under about phone and android version it should say 2.2. the 2.3 is the system version which is the number motorola gave it

illmatic636

Reaction score
the 2.3 the droid 2 got is still version 2.2 if you look under about phone and android version it should say 2.2. the 2.3 is the system version which is the number motorola gave it

Yeah, People are confusing Android IOS 2.2. (Froyo) (Gingerbread) Android 2.3 or 3.0... or who knows, 5.0.. It's not out yet, but most devices will be running it.