Upgrade from Froyo to Ice Cream Sandwich?

chayacooper

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Froyo will be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich? Can I update my Samsung Galaxy S 4G now by rooting my phone?

My phone is only a few months old but is still running on Froyo (2.2.1), and current press releases seem to indicate that upgrades will only be available to phones running on Gingerbread (2.3). If I can’t update from 2.2 to 4.0 now, would it help if I rooted it to get 2.3 and is that recommended?

dani33

Reaction score
HTC Thunderbolt

I actually have the same question, i have the Thunderbolt and i'm using 2.2.1, does this new update that's coming mean i can't get 4.0? Or does it mean i have to wait for Gingerbread 3.0 then upgrade to Ice-cream sandwich 4.0? I don't want to root my phone (mostly bc i dont know how) but also, call me crazy but i think it should be upgradeable on it's own - Someone who has a clue please please help me figure this out!

OP
C

chayacooper

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more :) I've been counting down the days until 4.0's release, and only now discovered that I had been mistakenly informed by the TMobile salesperson who told me that updates happen automatically :-(

leewhite336

Reaction score
I actually have the same question, i have the Thunderbolt and i'm using 2.2.1, does this new update that's coming mean i can't get 4.0? Or does it mean i have to wait for Gingerbread 3.0 then upgrade to Ice-cream sandwich 4.0? I don't want to root my phone (mostly bc i dont know how) but also, call me crazy but i think it should be upgradeable on it's own - Someone who has a clue please please help me figure this out!

Wow I didn't know the thunderbolt was running 2.2. I thought they had 2.3 as so as it came out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

dani33

Reaction score
Yea unfortunately, that's what it says I'm running. :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums